Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 185
Thanks Tree139Thanks

Thread: 8 of America's favorite restaurant chains are desperate for customers

  1. #51
    Moderator libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,083
    Thanks
    1666

    From
    ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Olive Garden is fairly well insulated because they have a unique lock on a certain type of food. There isn't another Italian restaurant chain that even comes close to them, good prices, great food, and a very pleasant atmosphere. I bartended there for a short time and it's a solid place.

    They are owned by Darden restaurants however, who also owns other properties like Red Lobster and their other companies are struggling. Olive Garden actually sends many of their GM's to Italy where they have a little cooking college and to learn how their top chefs create the food, they then bring that experience back with them and it's just a good business model.
    The Old Spaghetti Factory is way better than Olive Garden.

  2. #52
    Worst Person on the Site Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    78,746
    Thanks
    52149

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Applebees
    Chilis
    Ruby Tuesday
    Red Robin
    Buffalo Wild Wings
    Outback
    Carrabbas
    Bonefish Grill
    Sadly, I feel somewhat responsible. I've only eaten at four of those places ever and none within the last two years.

    My apologies.

  3. #53
    Worst Person on the Site Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    78,746
    Thanks
    52149

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    I don't know why Olive Garden would be doing well. I've never been a big fan. But I'm not a huge fan of Italian food anyway. Although, I do like their salad and breadsticks.
    I love Italian food. Olive Garden is to Italian food what McDonald's is to steak.

  4. #54
    Worst Person on the Site Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    78,746
    Thanks
    52149

    From
    out of nowhere!
    And Buffalo Wild Wings? I might go back if I found they'd added human food to their menu.

  5. #55
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    26,318
    Thanks
    21044

    From
    Behind the Redwood Curtain
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Clark Howard is an Atlanta based penny pincher who is a radio personality. He has a daily radio show and is often featured on television shows. His predictions are pretty much spot on. This week he put out a list of eight restaurants that are in trouble. He's not doing it to hurt the restaurant chains but rather to warn consumers that buying their gift cards may not be a good idea right now. These restaurants employ many people across this nation. If he's right and several of these close some stores or all stores, that will be a significant number of people that are looking for work. Oddly, he names one chain that is doing well, Olive Garden. What are they doing better?

    8 of America's favorite restaurant chains are desperate for customers

    Applebees
    Chilis
    Ruby Tuesday
    Red Robin
    Buffalo Wild Wings
    Outback
    Carrabbas
    Bonefish Grill
    Probably the worst meal I ever had was at Applebee's.
    Thanks from Sassy and Panzareta

  6. #56
    Moderator libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,083
    Thanks
    1666

    From
    ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    And Buffalo Wild Wings? I might go back if I found they'd added human food to their menu.
    Yeah, there are a couple local restaurants that sell wings that are way better than b-dubs. I never go there for wings.

  7. #57
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    27,288
    Thanks
    5995

    From
    Walking the Fine Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Olive Garden is fairly well insulated because they have a unique lock on a certain type of food. There isn't another Italian restaurant chain that even comes close to them, good prices, great food, and a very pleasant atmosphere. I bartended there for a short time and it's a solid place.

    They are owned by Darden restaurants however, who also owns other properties like Red Lobster and their other companies are struggling. Olive Garden actually sends many of their GM's to Italy where they have a little cooking college and to learn how their top chefs create the food, they then bring that experience back with them and it's just a good business model.
    Darden, no longer owns Red Lobster. Although founded by Bill Darden it was sold to Golden Gate Capital back in 2014.

  8. #58
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    7,084
    Thanks
    5609

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Clark Howard is an Atlanta based penny pincher who is a radio personality. He has a daily radio show and is often featured on television shows. His predictions are pretty much spot on. This week he put out a list of eight restaurants that are in trouble. He's not doing it to hurt the restaurant chains but rather to warn consumers that buying their gift cards may not be a good idea right now. These restaurants employ many people across this nation. If he's right and several of these close some stores or all stores, that will be a significant number of people that are looking for work. Oddly, he names one chain that is doing well, Olive Garden. What are they doing better?

    8 of America's favorite restaurant chains are desperate for customers

    Applebees
    Chilis
    Ruby Tuesday
    Red Robin
    Buffalo Wild Wings
    Outback
    Carrabbas
    Bonefish Grill
    Or.... It could be bland food made out of boxed frozen and canned ingredients and sold at excessively high prices to a dying elderly clientale.

    Darden, owner of several of those chains, is losing money because it refuses to enter the 21st century.

    Oh. Outback here is always asked with young families, professionals and students. They can't be doing all that bad. I love their potato soup.
    Last edited by Howey; 8th March 2017 at 09:10 AM.
    Thanks from Thx1138

  9. #59
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    27,288
    Thanks
    5995

    From
    Walking the Fine Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Howey View Post
    Or.... It could be bland food made out of boxed frozen and canned ingredients and sold at excessively high prices to a dying elderly clientale.

    Darren, owner of several of those cha8ns, is losing money because it refuses to enter the 21st century.

    Oh. Outback here is always asked with young families, professionals and students. They can't be doing all that bad. I love their potato soup.
    You could be right about what are these chains doing differently than the chains that are doing well?

  10. #60
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    38,098
    Thanks
    23128

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    Sadly, I feel somewhat responsible. I've only eaten at four of those places ever and none within the last two years.

    My apologies.
    Thanks from boontito and BigLeRoy

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 180
    Last Post: 8th April 2016, 03:38 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 26th September 2014, 07:52 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 1st November 2011, 09:06 AM
  4. Bank Of America Is Getting Desperate
    By michaelr in forum Economics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 15th December 2010, 12:34 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed