Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 142
Thanks Tree34Thanks

Thread: Volkswagon and Fiat Chrysler to merge?

  1. #11
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    31,335
    Thanks
    24665

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Well sure, their sales are good. The problem is that the lawsuits and fines have depleted a fortune in revenue, with no end yet in sight. You might want to take the buyout before they too claim bankruptcy -- if this deal really does happen. I've read somewhere that Chrysler has written some bad checks for cars that they had to buy back from customers for warranty reasons.
    I'm not too worried about the buyback. VW has already set aside 1.2 Billion for it. Strange how the courts were so much more harsh on VW than they were to our car makers who had flaws that actually caused several deaths.

    I'm just really going to miss my TDI

  2. #12
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,989
    Thanks
    871

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    True both companies have their troubles that's for sure. Am truly curious to watch this and see what happens. It makes no sense but maybe there are other reasons.
    VW already is a multibrand auto conglomerate. The true question is whether each can offer the other sonething they currently don't have such that 2+2=5, a true synergy. I would suggest the true synergy is distribution. VW has a global distribution network that could bolster FCA sales and Chrysler has a relatively decent distribution network in the US.

    Then it would make sense of course.
    Thanks from bajisima

  3. #13
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,989
    Thanks
    871

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    I'm not too worried about the buyback. VW has already set aside 1.2 Billion for it. Strange how the courts were so much more harsh on VW than they were to our car makers who had flaws that actually caused several deaths.

    I'm just really going to miss my TDI
    Well its not quite over, VW had to pay upwards of $15bn. Other smaller settlements are pushing that to $20bn and they just ead guilty to the criminal portion as it applies to the corporate entity. VW is definitely taking a financial bath and I think as a resukt of losing TDI their sales were down in the US.

  4. #14
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    31,335
    Thanks
    24665

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    Well its not quite over, VW had to pay upwards of $15bn. Other smaller settlements are pushing that to $20bn and they just ead guilty to the criminal portion as it applies to the corporate entity. VW is definitely taking a financial bath and I think as a resukt of losing TDI their sales were down in the US.
    Yeah I already know all of that. On the flip side, if I do decide to go with the gas version of my car - I'm going to get a pretty sweet deal between the price of the new car and my buyback!

  5. #15
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    20,297
    Thanks
    7524

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Despite the Dieselgate emissions scandal which has rocked Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE), the German carmaker achieved record group sales in 2016 of 10.3 million vehicles, including a 12 percent jump in December.


    That figure should put VW ahead of Japanese rival Toyota (7203.T) as the world's largest car producer by volume.

    VW sales are proving resilient despite the diesel emissions scandal which has plunged the company into crisis since it came to light in September 2015.

    VW manages record 2016 sales despite Dieselgate crisis | Reuters

    Just FYI - I own a Jetta Sportswagen TBI - part of the "scandal". So sad, best car I have ever had. But I have to two years to take the buyback (since my car is an 09 they won't have a "fix" for it).

    But because I had a full package and my mileage is super low for a 09 car, I can't really complain about how much money VW is going to give in the end (I'm planning on waiting till the very end for the buyback)

    About $22,000 and more than likely will just buy the gas version of the car I have now (depending on the "get up and go" power it has)

    That's the thing I love most about my car. How fast it accelerates.

    Will also be curious about this merger if it happens. Maybe I won't buy another VW...
    I swear by VW group, I went from VW to Audi to VW, and before that I've owned about everything from ford to BMW and my wife owns a Land Rover. VWs are the best cars IMO don't even care about emissions scandals
    Thanks from Tedminator and HayJenn

  6. #16
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    28,672
    Thanks
    26708

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    I swear by VW group, I went from VW to Audi to VW, and before that I've owned about everything from ford to BMW and my wife owns a Land Rover. VWs are the best cars IMO don't even care about emissions scandals
    I've owned a few VWs myself. They're not bad, but they aren't nearly as reliable as are Toyotas or Hondas. Audis are over-engineered, over-priced crap.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    20,297
    Thanks
    7524

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I've owned a few VWs myself. They're not bad, but they aren't nearly as reliable as are Toyotas or Hondas. Audis are over-engineered, over-priced crap.
    Its absolutely a cult following but those of us in the cult think those outside are tasteless morons

  8. #18
    Established Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,492
    Thanks
    4591

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedminator View Post
    Das crazy if it happens... Ferrari and Porsche in the same stable
    Ferrari is independent since January 2016, no longer under Fiat.

    Volkswagen already has Porsche, AND Bugatti, and Lamborghini.. so if Ferrari would have been added to the mix, not "that" crazy after all.
    Thanks from Tedminator

  9. #19
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,878
    Thanks
    4840

    From
    Chicago
    Please god no!

    Fiat makes hands down the worst cars in the world. That's not my opinion, that's a fact. VW does not need to be polluted by that brand. I like VW a lot, so I would hate to see them be dragged down by Fiat's truly miserable quality ratings.

  10. #20
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    28,672
    Thanks
    26708

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    Its absolutely a cult following but those of us in the cult think those outside are tasteless morons
    Yeah. So do the Scientologists.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fiat Chrysler to invest $1 billion in U.S. plants, add jobs
    By Spookycolt in forum Current Events
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 9th January 2017, 02:51 PM
  2. Fiat and Volkswagon deny merger rumors
    By bajisima in forum Economics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd July 2014, 12:36 PM
  3. Fiat to buy full control of Chrysler
    By bajisima in forum Economics
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 6th February 2014, 03:37 PM
  4. FIAT/Chrysler Merger
    By NewPublius in forum Economics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4th April 2012, 11:52 AM
  5. How many people can fit in a volkswagon?
    By lakeman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 3rd November 2009, 12:48 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed