Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 95
Thanks Tree31Thanks

Thread: Walmart is asking employees to deliver packages on their way home from work

  1. #21
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    50,393
    Thanks
    29273

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Is the drone delivery system a foregone conclusion? I just can't see how it could be, yet. What happens if a drone carrying my new refrigerator malfunctions and the object(s) drop from 500 ft (or which airspace Bezos thinks he can use.)

    Isn't that exactly like dropping a bomb?

    And yet, I saw an interview on Amazon that included an interview with a couple who bought an island off the coast of Alaska. They added satellite WiFi and thus,have anything they want delivered, by drone, in 2 days of less. They're living in 21st century creature comforts, in a 17th century setting.

    Blows. My. Mind.

  2. #22
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    31,274
    Thanks
    6606

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Yes, has yours?
    Has my employer ever asked me to deliver something? Oh heck yes, I'm in the newspaper industry. Just this week, I've picked up ads for the advertising department from an advertiser. I've delivered copies of the paper to a funeral home. Both of these things were on my way home or to work. Absolutely.

  3. #23
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    31,274
    Thanks
    6606

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Is the drone delivery system a foregone conclusion? I just can't see how it could be, yet. What happens if a drone carrying my new refrigerator malfunctions and the object(s) drop from 500 ft (or which airspace Bezos thinks he can use.)

    Isn't that exactly like dropping a bomb?

    And yet, I saw an interview on Amazon that included an interview with a couple who bought an island off the coast of Alaska. They added satellite WiFi and thus,have anything they want delivered, by drone, in 2 days of less. They're living in 21st century creature comforts, in a 17th century setting.

    Blows. My. Mind.
    Drone delivery is for very small items. Not refrigerators. What about autonomous vehicles driving to your street where a small delivery robot then takes it to your front porch?

    Here's a photo from 2001 when a new newsprint roll delivery system was first used in Dallas. Prior to this invention pressmen used clamp truck forklifts to move the rolls from the warehouse to the press operations. Now, everyone has paper delivery trollies that handle that task. Some of the big papers this is completely automated. The system realizes that a roll is going to need replaced and orders the trolly to go pick up a roll and bring it to the press.

    Last edited by Southern Dad; 2nd June 2017 at 05:47 AM.

  4. #24
    Veteran Member GordonGecko's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29,973
    Thanks
    22628

    From
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Two things:

    1. It is voluntary.

    2. The employee gets paid extra if they choose to participate.

    Right now it is just a pilot program, but if it works, it will be coming to a Wal Mart near you.

    Wal Mart usually gets it right, they did not become one of the biggest companies in the world by making bad decisions.
    1. What usually happens to employees who don't "volunteer" for things Management wants?

    2. How MUCH extra do they get paid?


    (#2 would be particularly interesting to hear...when compared to gas and wear-and-tear on the employee's automobile)

  5. #25
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    50,393
    Thanks
    29273

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    1. What usually happens to employees who don't "volunteer" for things Management wants?

    2. How MUCH extra do they get paid?


    (#2 would be particularly interesting to hear...when compared to gas and wear-and-tear on the employee's automobile)
    Meh. As abusive labor practices go, this one is venial by Wal-Mart stsndards.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    29,166
    Thanks
    7559

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Meh. As abusive labor practices go, this one is venial by Wal-Mart stsndards.
    I know that Wal-Mart has many abusive labor tactics. Like tuition support... 100% paid medical insurance for their employees..

  7. #27
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    50,393
    Thanks
    29273

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    I know that Wal-Mart has many abusive labor tactics. Like tuition support... 100% paid medical insurance for their employees..
    Tuition to attend Trump University is abusive.
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  8. #28
    Veteran Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    13,923
    Thanks
    12533

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Only in the short run.

    Walmarts creates MILLIONS of jobs, in the company and in its supporting economy. Closing all the Walmarts will displace ALMOST all those workers -- who will have no other job opportunities in retail.

    Closing all the Walmarts would be akin to closing a military base in the US; usually turns the surrounding city into a ghost town.
    I dont think thats true, what replaces those jobs are all the new businesses that pop up to fill that vacuum, keep in mind that areas that Walmart moved into saw many businesses CLOSE so employees lost the higher paying job and had to take the lower paying one at walmart AND walmart is more of a burden on local tax payers who see less coming in (lower wages means less taxes going into the tax purse) AND seeing an increase in food stamps, medicaid etc...if they were to leave, the needs the locals have remain, so new businesses will open to meet that need.

  9. #29
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    29,166
    Thanks
    7559

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Tuition to attend Trump University is abusive.
    No Tuition to attend Vanderbilt, MIT, Universtity of Chicago, University of TN, Emory, Ohio State, Ohio Universtity, Local Trade School where they can learn to become plumbers carpenters welders. do you oppose people getting an education, and having some of the cost covered by a compassionate employer that understands that most of their jobs are entry level and that those they employee will become educated and move on to professions that they helped them achieve.

  10. #30
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    29,166
    Thanks
    7559

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrary View Post
    I dont think thats true, what replaces those jobs are all the new businesses that pop up to fill that vacuum, keep in mind that areas that Walmart moved into saw many businesses CLOSE so employees lost the higher paying job and had to take the lower paying one at walmart AND walmart is more of a burden on local tax payers who see less coming in (lower wages means less taxes going into the tax purse) AND seeing an increase in food stamps, medicaid etc...if they were to leave, the needs the locals have remain, so new businesses will open to meet that need.

    Obama's regulation brought start ups to a record low. There was no one starting businesses that is why obamanomics was such a failure.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 6th November 2016, 01:46 AM
  2. Will Apps Like Taco Bell's Put Employees Out of Work?
    By Southern Dad in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 16th June 2015, 01:07 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th January 2014, 04:44 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 27th November 2013, 02:39 PM
  5. Ohio Walmart Holds Food Drive For Its Own Employees
    By Cicero in forum Current Events
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 22nd November 2013, 07:03 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed