Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81
Thanks Tree21Thanks

Thread: Wal-Marts & Amazon Watched the American Middle Class Die

  1. #11
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    42,112
    Thanks
    32595

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I want the shopping districts full of hometown businesses back. I want to buy my tires from my neighbor.
    Yes those days were nice - but long gone and nothing we can really do about it.

    The worst part is that retail jobs are plummeting and major retailers like Macys are even turning to discount prices.

    Agree that even when we have high job growth number, salaries are not. Too many corporations worried about what their stock holders want vs. the good of the public.

    It's a shame that Unions are on their way out. When they were thriving you did see a solid middle class that contributed a lot our once robust economic growth.
    Thanks from Madeline, Misty Rose and Panzareta

  2. #12
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    42,410
    Thanks
    16521

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    You are missing the point, I think.

    Amazon and Walmarts profit ENORMOUSLY from the new American poor.
    ???????? Amazon is going after some of the poor customers that now belong to Wal-Mart. I think it's great they can get Prime for half price. Many are elderly/disabled and need the delivery.

    Wal-Mart is out to take some of Amazon's wealthier customers. How is either one hurting the middle class?
    Thanks from Madeline

  3. #13
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    42,410
    Thanks
    16521

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Yes those days were nice - but long gone and nothing we can really do about it.

    The worst part is that retail jobs are plummeting and major retailers like Macys are even turning to discount prices.

    Agree that even when we have high job growth number, salaries are not. Too many corporations worried about what their stock holders want vs. the good of the public.

    It's a shame that Unions are on their way out. When they were thriving you did see a solid middle class that contributed a lot our once robust economic growth.
    Middle class people now are getting prouder of saving than spending. That's a good thing.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    32,124
    Thanks
    6743

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I want the shopping districts full of hometown businesses back. I want to buy my tires from my neighbor.
    You can still do that but you are going to have to pay a little more.

  5. #15
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,980
    Thanks
    6470

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Ms. Madeline,

    Sheep gotta be sheared. You're faulting Walmart and Amazon for owning razors?
    You should do some research on walmart's business practices. They are not good for America.
    Thanks from Madeline

  6. #16
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    32,124
    Thanks
    6743

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    You should do some research on walmart's business practices. They are not good for America.
    Bullshit. Walmart is willing to build its stores where the poor people shop. They aren't a Costco charging for membership and they aren't like Target building in the more affluent areas. Liberals hate Walmart because they are an American success story. Success is a bad thing to liberals. They want the last place guy to get the same trophy as the winner.

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,355
    Thanks
    29712

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    ???????? Amazon is going after some of the poor customers that now belong to Wal-Mart. I think it's great they can get Prime for half price. Many are elderly/disabled and need the delivery.

    Wal-Mart is out to take some of Amazon's wealthier customers. How is either one hurting the middle class?
    Their conduct is rationale, but bad for American workers. Our government should restrain the worst of their abuses.

    It is not the duty of Amazon to see to our unemployment rate, etc. That's on our POTUS.

    But I am not holding my breath.

  8. #18
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,355
    Thanks
    29712

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Bullshit. Walmart is willing to build its stores where the poor people shop. They aren't a Costco charging for membership and they aren't like Target building in the more affluent areas. Liberals hate Walmart because they are an American success story. Success is a bad thing to liberals. They want the last place guy to get the same trophy as the winner.
    What a zealot.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  9. #19
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    42,112
    Thanks
    32595

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    Middle class people now are getting prouder of saving than spending. That's a good thing.
    Used to - not so much anymore. With the higher costs for good and services, and wage stagnation for most people - personal debt is on the rise again.

  10. #20
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    42,112
    Thanks
    32595

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    What a zealot.
    Yeah, well he has called WalMart workers "losers" more than once here.

    Which is odd because he seems to love Wal Mart so much.

    What is funny too is that we have a Wal Mart and a Target within 3 blocks of each other on the other side of my town.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. American Middle Class In Severe Jeopardy
    By Madeline in forum Economics
    Replies: 465
    Last Post: 8th July 2016, 02:36 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 13th September 2014, 12:47 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14th May 2014, 07:06 PM
  4. Kodak declares Class-warfare on the Middle-class!!!
    By Oscar99 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12th October 2012, 08:09 AM
  5. Class warfare? Yeah, and the middle class is losing...
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 27th September 2011, 08:56 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed