Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 122
Thanks Tree45Thanks

Thread: The Paradigm Has Shifted – Employment Rebound Led By Low Quality Jobs

  1. #61
    Scucca Æthelfrith's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,273
    Thanks
    1163

    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    it talks about the last 8 years being low income employment. Who was POTUS for the last 8 years HMMM


    Now Manufacturing Jobs have expanded the last 8 months to a 9 year high.. Manufacturing jobs are decent paying jobs. Thanks Donald.

    (your souce slams obamanomics by telling the truth of his PART Time Job creation).
    Real average hourly earnings (constant 82-84 dollars) increased from $10.68 in May 16 to $10.75 in May 17. Don't go crazy with the 7c!

  2. #62
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    23,329
    Thanks
    19730

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Æthelfrith View Post
    Real average hourly earnings (constant 82-84 dollars) increased from $10.68 in May 16 to $10.75 in May 17. Don't go crazy with the 7c!
    What America needs is a good 7-cent cigar!

  3. #63
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    23,329
    Thanks
    19730

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Æthelfrith View Post
    But it isn't is it? Take the UK and the US. Both countries that have had some positive influence on free trade, but both suffering from crippling inequalities.
    THIS is what is being discussed here:

    Left Vs Right? NO!! Open Vs Closed

  4. #64
    Scucca Æthelfrith's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,273
    Thanks
    1163

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    THIS is what is being discussed here:

    Left Vs Right? NO!! Open Vs Closed
    Never rated the Economist. It hides from its own ideological base after all. There was never any simple left/right views over globalisation; e.g. Market socialists referring to free trade; capitalists referring to the infant industry hypothesis).

  5. #65
    Established Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    6,503
    Thanks
    1162

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    We had MORE manufacturing jobs in the year 2000 than we did in 1993. The huge drop in the number of manufacturing jobs took place during the George W. Bush administration, NOT the Clinton administration.

    Sorry, but them's the facts.
    Gee, but is picking post recession data of 1993 and comparing to data immediately preceding a recession in 2001 really presenting facts, or just making a misleading statement?


    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MANEMP#0

  6. #66
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    23,329
    Thanks
    19730

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Æthelfrith View Post
    There was never any simple left/right views over globalisation;
    Neither The Economist nor I ever made any such claim. The CLAIM is that how people feel about whether the economy should be open to foreign trade, or not, now appears to be a FAR more contentious political argument than the more traditional left/right arguments over taxation and government spending, etc.

  7. #67
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    23,329
    Thanks
    19730

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Gee, but is picking post recession data of 1993 and comparing to data immediately preceding a recession in 2001 really presenting facts, or just making a misleading statement?


    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MANEMP#0
    1993 was NOT 'just coming out of a recession'. The recession you are talking about was a very mild one, and ended in September 1991. And, for that matter, the brief six-month recession of 2001 was also rather mild. There was nothing misleading about my statement. It is simply a FACT that America was GAINING manufacturing jobs during most of the 1990s.

    I am deeply sorry if that fact bothers you in some way.

  8. #68
    Scucca Æthelfrith's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,273
    Thanks
    1163

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Neither The Economist nor I ever made any such claim. The CLAIM is that how people feel about whether the economy should be open to foreign trade, or not, now appears to be a FAR more contentious political argument than the more traditional left/right arguments over taxation and government spending, etc.
    But there was always a political argument. That's the point. Crikey, even new trade theory created different reactions to the perceived (in)efficiency of protectionism.

    Take Brexit. A lot of lefties voted for Brexit, naff all to do with closed economies mind you.

  9. #69
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    23,329
    Thanks
    19730

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Æthelfrith View Post
    But there was always a political argument. That's the point. Crikey, even new trade theory created different reactions to the perceived (in)efficiency of protectionism.

    Take Brexit. A lot of lefties voted for Brexit, naff all to do with closed economies mind you.
    Why, then, do you think those lefties voted for Brexit?!?

  10. #70
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,835
    Thanks
    22926

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I've noticed that people don't think Joe is very smart; but he's actually pretty good at explaining this stuff, in a way that ordinary folks can understand and relate to.
    Which when considering a sizable portion of the population believes that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, might be a good thing...
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trump Shifted Kids-Cancer Charity Money Into His Business
    By HayJenn in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 7th June 2017, 12:28 PM
  2. December jobs report out.....statistical full employment-
    By GordonGecko in forum Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9th January 2017, 09:55 AM
  3. Rebound
    By MaryAnne in forum Economics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 18th September 2015, 04:54 PM
  4. UAW Freezes Rival Out of Rebound
    By mtm1963 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10th May 2012, 07:51 AM
  5. Japan Earthquake Shifted Towns That Now Flood During Tides
    By jackalope in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th May 2011, 12:15 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed