Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74
Thanks Tree36Thanks

Thread: The End of Fast Food Employees?

  1. #11
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    49,609
    Thanks
    9221

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Given that, it's hard to imagine how California's "In and Out Burger" franchises stay in business. They pay above minimum wage, to start--about $9/hour last I heard.

    The real question here is whether people want to get their food from a machine. It works great for cash at the ATM, but people might feel differently about food. After all...what happened to the Automat?
    Machines cook their food now.

    When I worked at Mcdonalds way back when you threw a burger on a grill, pushed a button, and the machine did everything else.

  2. #12
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58,863
    Thanks
    31115

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Machines cook their food now.

    When I worked at Mcdonalds way back when you threw a burger on a grill, pushed a button, and the machine did everything else.
    So? How does what you just said impact in any way my post that you quoted?

  3. #13
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,835
    Thanks
    22926

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    We're living in a science fiction world.

    Some people just don't 'get' that. Some people are suffering from what Alvin Toffler called 'future shock'.

    Hang on to your hat: We are probably going to see more technological change in the next 20 years than we've seen in the past 60.
    True. Its something many of us have been looking forward to since they showed us flying cars as a kid. But having said that, we also are seeing that side effect of "future shock" in our elections and our lives. We are seeing so much fright that some are looking for gasping breaths of dying jobs, others who rail against the tech because "what about those that lose a job" and others who just deny its even happening. Just over the last week here locally we saw a local supermarket choosing to boost their apps, online shopping and curbside pickup. Of course the first thing we had was the local newspaper covering the group of physically and mentally disabled workers who bagged groceries and did various jobs in the store being let go because they were no longer needed and didn't have the skills necessary to move forward. Now they are planning protests outside the market. Its left people a bit confused, sad and unsure about the whole thing.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  4. #14
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,835
    Thanks
    22926

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Part of Toffler's notion of the future was "high tech/high touch." He believed that as technology takes over so much of our lives, humans will crave the attention and sociability of other humans, even in situations where technology might be more efficient.
    I absolutely believe that for us older folks who remember life prior to cell phones, the internet and computers. But now with toddlers walking around with "baby tablets" and the internet in their daily life? I am not sure they will care because how does one miss something they never had? It also assumes future generations wont converse and communicate the way we learned to with each other. They will do it electronically.

  5. #15
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,674
    Thanks
    11196

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Part of Toffler's notion of the future was "high tech/high touch." He believed that as technology takes over so much of our lives, humans will crave the attention and sociability of other humans, even in situations where technology might be more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I absolutely believe that for us older folks who remember life prior to cell phones, the internet and computers. But now with toddlers walking around with "baby tablets" and the internet in their daily life? I am not sure they will care because how does one miss something they never had? It also assumes future generations wont converse and communicate the way we learned to with each other. They will do it electronically.
    In another thread they are talking about "3-D printing meat," steaks I believe specifically...

    How long will it be until "your fries with that" will be an additional subroutine, super-sized for an additional cost?

    (I find the whole prospect revolting myself, but... )

    Thx
    Thanks from bajisima

  6. #16
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,835
    Thanks
    22926

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    In another thread they are talking about "3-D printing meat," steaks I believe specifically...

    How long will it be until "your fries with that" will be an additional subroutine, super-sized for an additional cost?

    (I find the whole prospect revolting myself, but... )

    Thx
    I think that's a big thing that tends to hold back futuristic technology. A lot of older folks are either afraid or think stuff like 3D meat is nonsense. Younger people are more eager and willing to try new things. I still remember using an ATM and seeing older people just stare at it and walk by. One of my hubs uncles used to say stuff like "it will never make it" "people always want to deal with people especially when it comes to their money" and "imagine getting money from a machine..." Yet most people have no qualms about using it, in fact apps and mobile banking is taking ATMs over in regards to cashing checks and such. Just take a pic of the check and mobile deposit it. Stuff most of us never even dreamed about. I imagine all this automation and 3D meat will be the same. The problems come from our willingness to let progress happen. Many of us don't want to for various reasons, fear or loss of jobs or industries. Big questions for the future but certainly not something we can use as an excuse to just stop trying.
    Thanks from Thx1138 and BigLeRoy

  7. #17
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,674
    Thanks
    11196

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I think that's a big thing that tends to hold back futuristic technology. A lot of older folks are either afraid or think stuff like 3D meat is nonsense. Younger people are more eager and willing to try new things. I still remember using an ATM and seeing older people just stare at it and walk by. One of my hubs uncles used to say stuff like "it will never make it" "people always want to deal with people especially when it comes to their money" and "imagine getting money from a machine..." Yet most people have no qualms about using it, in fact apps and mobile banking is taking ATMs over in regards to cashing checks and such. Just take a pic of the check and mobile deposit it. Stuff most of us never even dreamed about. I imagine all this automation and 3D meat will be the same. The problems come from our willingness to let progress happen. Many of us don't want to for various reasons, fear or loss of jobs or industries. Big questions for the future but certainly not something we can use as an excuse to just stop trying.
    Yes, there is much in what you say.

    By the time we are able to 3-D print food, the world might be so much different that it will just go in the normal course of things, we might have 3-D printed limbs, organs, perhaps in another 100 years or so such things will be common place and just "obvious"... why wouldn't you print food?

    As a retired automation specialist, it's the practical side that gives me pause, like this thing better print very, very, fast, I can't wait 36 hours for my fries, and won't part of the fry be a bit stale by the end of the process?

    But what the heck, they laughed at the man who invented radio.

    (It would lead to all kinds of wild possibilities though!)

    Thx
    Thanks from bajisima

  8. #18
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,805
    Thanks
    1405

    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Yes, there is much in what you say.

    By the time we are able to 3-D print food, the world might be so much different that it will just go in the normal course of things, we might have 3-D printed limbs, organs, perhaps in another 100 years or so such things will be common place and just "obvious"... why wouldn't you print food?

    As a retired automation specialist, it's the practical side that gives me pause, like this thing better print very, very, fast, I can't wait 36 hours for my fries, and won't part of the fry be a bit stale by the end of the process?

    But what the heck, they laughed at the man who invented radio.

    (It would lead to all kinds of wild possibilities though!)

    Thx
    I'm old and occasionally crotchety. Well, somewhat old. Old enough to think new music sucks and "kids today" and shit like that.

    But I'll take a food replicator from the Star Trek Enterprise Next Gen thing. Fucking sweet.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy, Southern Dad and Thx1138

  9. #19
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    23,329
    Thanks
    19730

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    I'm old and occasionally crotchety. Well, somewhat old. Old enough to think new music sucks and "kids today" and shit like that.

    But I'll take a food replicator from the Star Trek Enterprise Next Gen thing. Fucking sweet.
    Deanna Troi was always using the food replicators to get a hot fudge sundae.

    Probably bad for her health.

    But then, their medical technology was ALSO a lot more advanced than ours....

  10. #20
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    23,329
    Thanks
    19730

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    I'm old and occasionally crotchety. Well, somewhat old. Old enough to think new music sucks and "kids today" and shit like that.

    But I'll take a food replicator from the Star Trek Enterprise Next Gen thing. Fucking sweet.
    Oh, and P.S. Music has sucked from about the year 1973. That was when 'disco' began replacing wholesome rock-n-roll on the radio.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 167
    Last Post: 8th January 2017, 10:36 AM
  2. Ohio Walmart Holds Food Drive For Its Own Employees
    By Cicero in forum Current Events
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 22nd November 2013, 07:03 AM
  3. Do you eat healthy at fast food?
    By Pete1242 in forum Healthcare
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 8th August 2013, 08:22 AM
  4. Whats in your fast food
    By Spooky in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 15th March 2011, 09:35 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed