Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Thanks Tree7Thanks

Thread: Gehrke: As long as Teflon Trump drives the partisan divide, his popularity in Utah wi

  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    30,002
    Thanks
    23704

    From
    On a hill

    Gehrke: As long as Teflon Trump drives the partisan divide, his popularity in Utah wi

    By Robert Gehrke
    · 1 hour ago

    It would be an understatement to say that, six months into Donald Trump’s presidency, Margaret Ernstrom doesn’t like what she’s seeing.

    “He behaves like a teenager who needs to have his phone taken away,” she says. “He acts like a kid who has a temper tantrum every time things don’t go his way and thinks that he’s still on a reality TV show. … He doesn’t give respect to the office he holds and he has no idea what the definition of diplomacy is.”

    After months of weathering turmoil and turnover, enduring the Russia scandal and Senate setbacks, and firing off impulsive Tweets and firing a dogged FBI director, you might think that faith in the president might be shaken.

    You’d be wrong. The recent poll by The Salt Lake Tribune and Hinckley Institute of Politics shows that more Utahns still approve of the job he’s doing than disapprove.

    snip

    How is that happening? Are people just not paying attention?

    It seems like there are a few things at play.

    snip

    …more jobs were created in the last six months of the Obama administration than the first six of Trump’s, and quarterly economic growth was regularly more robust under Obama than it has been under Trump.

    snip

    This president appears to be a partisan wedge that has divided Utah into two tribes — those who see him as an erratic egomaniac and those who think he’ll “Make America Great Again,” dismissing negative news as media bias.

    Gehrke: As long as Teflon Trump drives the partisan divide, his popularity in Utah will remain strong - The Salt Lake Tribune
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    30,002
    Thanks
    23704

    From
    On a hill
    "Don't confuse me with the facts, I've made up my mind."
    Thanks from the watchman and EnigmaO01

  3. #3
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    41,688
    Thanks
    24510

    From
    New Hampshire
    Remember last fall when Evan McMullin (devout Mormon endorsed by Romney) entered the race as an independent in Utah and polls showed Hillary Clinton might have a chance there? Yet Trump still came out on top. Nobody expected that. Lets go to the wayback machine...

    "With the election only weeks away, Hillary Clinton appears to have the lead and the momentum. As of this writing, the FiveThirtyEight polls-only forecast gives her around an 87 percent chance of winning — up from around 55 percent in late September – and that may not have fully absorbed the fallout of Trump’s lewd video, debatable debate performance or the daily deluge of fresh scandal jeopardizing his candidacy. But if Clinton doesn’t run away with this, there is another candidate who may also have seen his chances of becoming president skyrocket. The third-most likely person to be the next president of the United States: Evan McMullin."

    How Evan McMullin Could Win Utah And The Presidency | FiveThirtyEight

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,676
    Thanks
    610

    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    By Robert Gehrke
    · 1 hour ago

    It would be an understatement to say that, six months into Donald Trump’s presidency, Margaret Ernstrom doesn’t like what she’s seeing.

    “He behaves like a teenager who needs to have his phone taken away,” she says. “He acts like a kid who has a temper tantrum every time things don’t go his way and thinks that he’s still on a reality TV show. … He doesn’t give respect to the office he holds and he has no idea what the definition of diplomacy is.”

    After months of weathering turmoil and turnover, enduring the Russia scandal and Senate setbacks, and firing off impulsive Tweets and firing a dogged FBI director, you might think that faith in the president might be shaken.

    You’d be wrong. The recent poll by The Salt Lake Tribune and Hinckley Institute of Politics shows that more Utahns still approve of the job he’s doing than disapprove.

    snip

    How is that happening? Are people just not paying attention?

    It seems like there are a few things at play.

    snip

    …more jobs were created in the last six months of the Obama administration than the first six of Trump’s, and quarterly economic growth was regularly more robust under Obama than it has been under Trump.

    snip

    This president appears to be a partisan wedge that has divided Utah into two tribes — those who see him as an erratic egomaniac and those who think he’ll “Make America Great Again,” dismissing negative news as media bias.

    Gehrke: As long as Teflon Trump drives the partisan divide, his popularity in Utah will remain strong - The Salt Lake Tribune
    The media is still asking why Satan is popular with his demons?

    Really?

    I can't believe we're still stuck on stupid, trying to figure out why Rural America supports Trump. It's because Rural America is genetically predisposed toward regressive thinking and white supremacism and as long as Trump plays to that they will never turn away from him.

    Rural America is a cancer. That is why they love Trump. Water will always seek its own level.

  5. #5
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    59,453
    Thanks
    10870

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquelope View Post
    The media is still asking why Satan is popular with his demons?

    Really?

    I can't believe we're still stuck on stupid, trying to figure out why Rural America supports Trump. It's because Rural America is genetically predisposed toward regressive thinking and white supremacism and as long as Trump plays to that they will never turn away from him.

    Rural America is a cancer. That is why they love Trump. Water will always seek its own level.
    Calling all of rural Americans white supremacists and you wonder why the democrats lose so much.

    lol
    Thanks from John T Ford

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,676
    Thanks
    610

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Calling all of rural Americans white supremacists and you wonder why the democrats lose so much.

    lol
    It won't matter when whites aren't a majority anymore. That's coming in the 2040s.

    Most POCs vote Democrat. So do most women.

    All we have to do is bide our time and hope that white nationalists don't spark a nuclear war with Russia or China by then.

  7. #7
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    59,453
    Thanks
    10870

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquelope View Post
    It won't matter when whites aren't a majority anymore. That's coming in the 2040s.

    Most POCs vote Democrat. So do most women.

    All we have to do is bide our time and hope that white nationalists don't spark a nuclear war with Russia or China by then.
    Too bad whites have a higher voter participation rate.

    Other demographics would have to about triple their population (except blacks) to equal their numbers.

    You don't know much about voting do you?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,676
    Thanks
    610

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Too bad whites have a higher voter participation rate.
    Says who? Breitbart? Fox Noise? LOL three million more people voted for Clinton than Trump - and those numbers were driven by POC and women. Minorities vote so much that Mike Pence, as governor, had to capriciously delete tens of thousands from the voter rolls to keep them from voting. Republicans are so scared of POC and women voters that they've been busted in court over and over again for racist voter suppression tactics.

    Even Trump's stacked right wing Supreme Court has recognized that much:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/15/u...-carolina.html
    WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday refused to revive a restrictive North Carolina voting law that a federal appeals court had struck down as an unconstitutional effort to “target African-Americans with almost surgical precision.”
    If POC voters had such a low participation rate, the GOP wouldn't be trying so hard to knock them down with Voter ID laws over a non-existent "voter fraud crisis".

    Reagan had a great old statement that ironically applies to right wingers more than liberals, and to you, today: there's so much you know that just ain't true.
    Thanks from Friday13 and MaryAnne

  9. #9
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    59,453
    Thanks
    10870

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquelope View Post
    Says who? Breitbart? Fox Noise? LOL three million more people voted for Clinton than Trump - and those numbers were driven by POC and women. Minorities vote so much that Mike Pence, as governor, had to capriciously delete tens of thousands from the voter rolls to keep them from voting. Republicans are so scared of POC and women voters that they've been busted in court over and over again for racist voter suppression tactics.

    Even Trump's stacked right wing Supreme Court has recognized that much:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/15/u...-carolina.html


    If POC voters had such a low participation rate, the GOP wouldn't be trying so hard to knock them down with Voter ID laws over a non-existent "voter fraud crisis".

    Reagan had a great old statement that ironically applies to right wingers more than liberals, and to you, today: there's so much you know that just ain't true.
    Blacks have the highest participation rate at 64.7%

    Whites follow them at about 64.1%

    Asians are next, I forget their number.

    Hispanics/Latinos are about 16%.

    Now look at the populations of each of those groups and tell which group is the most important if you want to win elections?

    Blacks are 12.1% of the population.

    Hispanic/latino are 17.6%.

    Whites are 62.6%.

    Now with the liberals calling all rural people white supremacists do you really think they are ever going to win a general election again?

    Whites have more voters than all the other groups put together.
    Last edited by Spookycolt; 29th September 2017 at 08:32 PM.

  10. #10
    Established Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6,954
    Thanks
    5867

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Blacks have the highest participation rate at 64.7%

    Whites follow them at about 64.1%

    Asians are next, I forget their number.

    Hispanics/Latinos are about 16%.

    Now look at the populations of each of those groups and tell which group is the most important if you want to win elections?

    Blacks are 12.1% of the population.

    Hispanic/latino are 17.6%.

    Whites are 62.6%.

    Now with the liberals calling all rural people white supremacists do you really think they are ever going to win a general election again?

    Whites have more voters than all the other groups put together.
    And what country are these stats from ? What year? What election ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The FBI director’s long career as preening partisan hack
    By Babba in forum Political Controversies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th November 2016, 07:59 PM
  2. What Drives Donald Trump? Fear of Losing Status-
    By GordonGecko in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th October 2016, 10:31 AM
  3. Trump's popularity on the Right
    By Devil505 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11th March 2016, 12:39 PM
  4. Another Explanation for Trump's Popularity
    By Babba in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 25th February 2016, 06:13 AM
  5. Racial Divide Question: Warning - Long Post
    By Oberdan in forum Racism
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 6th August 2013, 11:46 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed