Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41
Thanks Tree7Thanks

Thread: Phillys soda tax isnt the windfall some had hoped for

  1. #31
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,101
    Thanks
    33005

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Well, harms from soda:
    - sugar in the form of corn syrup
    - or aspartame
    - the acids aren't healthy

    Insert caveats.

    Corn is subsidized... Which makes corn syrup, which makes most soda syrups. Therefore soda is indirectly subsidized.
    I agree. It's stupid. Our subsidy of sugar is responsible for at least a portion of our lag in health care outcomes behind other developed countries. In Germany, water, soda, and beer are all the same price, and soda comes in smaller cans.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly

  2. #32
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42,194
    Thanks
    26870

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Yes, you're right, the poor haven't paid their fair share and you managed to get at least 85% of what they should have paid.

    If only 15% more had opted for sin instead of things like rent / utilities then the schools would have their funding.
    You're suggesting that because they only got 85% of the expected revenue, that they'll get nothing? It's still many millions of dollars going to excellent causes - and closer to the mark than many expected. I'm glad that this tax is working out; whether people fork up extra money the schools and parks, or if they reduce their consumption of sweetened beverages.

  3. #33
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,782
    Thanks
    2287

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    You're suggesting that because they only got 85% of the expected revenue, that they'll get nothing? It's still many millions of dollars going to excellent causes - and closer to the mark than many expected. I'm glad that this tax is working out; whether people fork up extra money the schools and parks, or if they reduce their consumption of sweetened beverages.
    In tax dollars primarily derived from the poor.

  4. #34
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,101
    Thanks
    33005

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    In tax dollars primarily derived from the poor.
    Sin taxes don't work on the wealthy. Maybe we should get rid of lotteries too.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  5. #35
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42,194
    Thanks
    26870

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    In tax dollars primarily derived from the poor.
    Poor people are more likely to buy cheap sugary drinks BECAUSE they are cheap. If they're not cheap, they're not as likely to buy them when money is tight.
    Thanks from BitterPill

  6. #36
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,782
    Thanks
    2287

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Poor people are more likely to buy cheap sugary drinks BECAUSE they are cheap. If they're not cheap, they're not as likely to buy them when money is tight.
    Post 31 addresses this

  7. #37
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    7,156
    Thanks
    4684

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Democrats once again Tax the Poor. don't you love it.
    You would be cheering were that the case.

  8. #38
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    7,156
    Thanks
    4684

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    In tax dollars primarily derived from the poor.
    How do you know this?

  9. #39
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42,194
    Thanks
    26870

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Post 31 addresses this
    Presumably you mean post #30. But it's a net win for everyone. Either the schools and parks get more funding, or people don't drink as much sugary drinks, mitigating the burden on the health system.

  10. #40
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,782
    Thanks
    2287

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    How do you know this?
    Read the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Presumably you mean post #30. But it's a net win for everyone. Either the schools and parks get more funding, or people don't drink as much sugary drinks, mitigating the burden on the health system.
    No, response 31 addressed exactly your point... It wasn't my post but it addressed the point exactly.

    Remember "tax the rich".... Which in a real sense means "tax the upper middle class" since the rich you want to tax can shelter themselves from them.

    This is literally shaking the loose change out of the people who need what they have, so they buy these heavily subsidized cheap shitty foods... I've been there, trying to make 20$ last for a week of food, you get pretty creative and none of it is healthy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11th December 2014, 10:43 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th July 2012, 01:56 PM
  3. Tea Party Less Effective than they had Hoped
    By Burning Giraffe in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10th March 2010, 01:34 PM
  4. Windfall Tax this liberals:
    By Libre in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 18th May 2008, 10:42 AM
  5. Windfall Profits Tax on Oil
    By Stinger in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 6th May 2008, 03:16 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed