Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63
Thanks Tree83Thanks

Thread: The perceived superiority of the private sector...

  1. #21
    Scucca Ęthelfrith's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,702
    Thanks
    1357

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    There is no "empirical analysis" of the State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities' project management efficiency or lack thereof that will ever satisfy a devout cartel-lover like you, but having seen their admin costs rise to 30% of an infrastructure progress, and noting that this is the 2nd most union-friendly state government in the nation, I know that no such academic study is needed to observe that they're not doing their jobs, and thus privatization of some of these projects would be more efficient.

    In other words, your blanket vilification of private firms is the real ideological claptrap here.
    You're just giving more ideological rant. It is both boring and also non-economic. Get back to me when you have something more than 'I don't like union' whinge
    Thanks from labrea

  2. #22
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,939
    Thanks
    3748

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ęthelfrith View Post
    You're just giving more ideological rant.
    Nope, I am pointing out that there can be instances in which unionized government teams underperform private sector firms on project completion and administrative efficiency, but you're unwilling to acknowledge even that, because your agenda is to vilify the private sector entirely no matter how lazily public teams are going about their jobs in some places.

    It is both boring and also non-economic.
    Don't pout to me. It's your thread that's titled "the perceived superiority of the private sector." I have made no claims as to sweeping superiority of the private sector with what are normally publicly funded projects or services, but the cases can exist, yet this apparently isn't enough to harmonize with your extremism.

  3. #23
    Scucca Ęthelfrith's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,702
    Thanks
    1357

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Don't pout to me. It's your thread that's titled "the perceived superiority of the private sector." I have made no claims as to sweeping superiority of the private sector with what are normally publicly funded projects or services, but the cases can exist, yet this apparently isn't enough to harmonize with your extremism.
    You've stated nothing. Get back to me when you have an economic argument: twin modern economic analysis with empirical evidence. Easy to do (see my comments for examples)

  4. #24
    Junior Member fenrir's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanks
    259

    From
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Quote Originally Posted by Ęthelfrith View Post
    The invisible hand, despite being a minor issue for Adam Smith, is used by right wing pressure groups to suggest the market is necessarily best. However, the practical nature of privatisation suggests that underhand techniques are needed to coerce 'market solutions'. Chomsky summarised it nearly:

    "That's the standard technique of privatization: defund, make sure things don't work, people get angry, you hand it over to private capital."

    Ain't theft grand!
    I'll take the "private" sector any ol' day over the totalitarianism of central planning.

  5. #25
    Scucca Ęthelfrith's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,702
    Thanks
    1357

    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    I'll take the "private" sector any ol' day over the totalitarianism of central planning.
    Capitalism, given its inherently unstable, requires a level of central planning. Laissez faire is a myth we peddle to gullible right wingers
    Thanks from MaryAnne, Panzareta, labrea and 2 others

  6. #26
    Junior Member fenrir's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanks
    259

    From
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Quote Originally Posted by Ęthelfrith View Post
    Capitalism, given its inherently unstable, requires a level of central planning. Laissez faire is a myth we peddle to gullible right wingers
    No. Central planning is a myth. The dynamics of modern business means decisions by an individual or committees are incapable of surveying all of the pertinent facts.

  7. #27
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,710
    Thanks
    8604

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    No. Central planning is a myth. The dynamics of modern business means decisions by an individual or committees are incapable of surveying all of the pertinent facts.
    Hogwash. What is a boardroom if it isn't central planning? Whether or not the CEO has all the pertinent facts is irrelevant; s/he has the power to make decisions without any democratic input from employees or the general public. Are you claiming that capitalism is socialism because it uses central planning?
    Thanks from Ęthelfrith and MaryAnne

  8. #28
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,939
    Thanks
    3748

    From
    AK

    The perceived superiority of the private sector...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ęthelfrith View Post
    You've stated nothing.
    Your thread is a straw man. The notion that a union-infested government agency can be inefficient to a point of impotence, making privatization the only reasonable alternative, is a reality (in some cases) that your extremism can't tolerate. You can't acknowledge it, so you try to bury it with jargon.

    Get back to me when you have an economic argument: twin modern economic analysis with empirical evidence. Easy to do (see my comments for examples)
    You said you work in the real world. Producing what, exactly? Who buys your labor?
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 31st August 2017 at 08:39 PM.

  9. #29
    Scucca Ęthelfrith's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,702
    Thanks
    1357

    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    No. Central planning is a myth. The dynamics of modern business means decisions by an individual or committees are incapable of surveying all of the pertinent facts.
    See StanStill's post! Adding more detail, you're essentially referring to distributed knowledge. Works well when capitalism is characterised by small businesses. Hayek can then use the concept to show the near impossibility of a socialist planner replicating the wonders of the competitive market. However, modern economics is heavily reliant on new institutionalism. Here, there is focus on why the market is necessarily replaced by the managerial class. Planning, by definition.
    Thanks from StanStill and labrea

  10. #30
    Junior Member fenrir's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanks
    259

    From
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Hogwash. What is a boardroom if it isn't central planning? Whether or not the CEO has all the pertinent facts is irrelevant; s/he has the power to make decisions without any democratic input from employees or the general public. Are you claiming that capitalism is socialism because it uses central planning?
    That would be hundreds of boardrooms and thousands of company heads compared to "one" central planning committee. BTW, there is little to no "democratic" input into the U.S. government these days. It doesn't really "serve" the masses anymore and hasn't since FDR, at least according to some of the good folks over there at that right wing organization, Harvard.

    Major Study Finds The US Is An Oligarchy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Public sector versus private sector unions
    By Amelia in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 10th March 2015, 06:48 PM
  2. The Private Sector Always Gets It Right.
    By HenryPorter in forum Current Events
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 27th December 2013, 12:55 PM
  3. Harry Reid has NEVER had a private sector job.
    By mrfurleylives in forum Current Events
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 7th August 2012, 04:32 PM
  4. A question of private sector ethics
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th November 2011, 01:04 AM
  5. Private Sector Jobs Grew By Only 38,000 in May
    By Six in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd June 2011, 01:27 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed