Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 134
Thanks Tree76Thanks

Thread: Free Market solutions that Republicans embrace

  1. #41
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    21,467
    Thanks
    11793

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    And yet, strangely, that's the only argument to which you choose to address yourself. You get to choose your opinions and argue from them. You do NOT get to choose your opponent's opinions and argue only against those you find conveniently specious. For example, why not respond to post #1 rather than post #2. I discover that post #2, in just about any thread, is a distraction.
    Distraction is what he wants, people with no argument do that. You could write a multi paragraph response and they will pick one word or line and make some stupid snarky comment about that and ignore the rest and then act like they won the debate. Deflect, deflect deflect, the behavior of someone who is dead wrong and has nothing to support their position. We see this ad nauseum on this forum
    Thanks from Rasselas

  2. #42
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    29,812
    Thanks
    23573

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Not sure I'm convinced of the need to have government going around shuttering businesses who set prices too high.

    Imagine 20 customers clamoring for the last case of bottled water and starting a bidding war amongst themselves with a store owner. The store owner can't make them all happy, supplies are limited, so what's the morally perfect solution? To whom should the store owner sell?

    What if the store owner keeps some of his merchandise for himself and his family? He paid for it, it's his decision to put it on the shelves or not. Oh the horror, shut down his business? Really? You fruitcakes can't quell your radical sense of injustice and entitlement for even a few seconds to think logically? Get a grip people.

    Natural disasters create situations where there is no morally perfect answer. The government has and should have a role under the general welfare clause to address national emergencies and natural disasters. Doing this effectively will mitigate price gouging and ensure needs are met.

    Those prices can't be maintained if FEMA is given sufficient power to distribute needed goods and services directly.
    A bidding war isn't the moral solution, it's just the solution that gives the guy with the most money to spend an advantage, and the store owner more money in his pocket.

  3. #43
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    29,812
    Thanks
    23573

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Æthelfrith View Post
    Giving it away? Bloody socialists!
    Three cheers for the socialists!
    Thanks from Æthelfrith

  4. #44
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    29,812
    Thanks
    23573

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    I also heard that other people were bringing water in and just giving it away, right? Pretty tough competition I would say.
    Kinda depends on where you are relative to the free water. I doubt people in a disaster area like the Texas flooding are in a position to do comparison shopping.
    Last edited by labrea; 1st September 2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Thanks from Panzareta

  5. #45
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,101
    Thanks
    33005

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Imagine 20 customers clamoring for the last case of bottled water and starting a bidding war amongst themselves with a store owner. The store owner can't make them all happy, supplies are limited, so what's the morally perfect solution? To whom should the store owner sell?
    No one. In an emergency he should break up the case and hand out those bottles, first-come first-served, for free.

    What if the store owner keeps some of his merchandise for himself and his family? He paid for it, it's his decision to put it on the shelves or not. Oh the horror, shut down his business? Really? You fruitcakes can't quell your radical sense of injustice and entitlement for even a few seconds to think logically? Get a grip people.
    It's an emergency. At some point his obligation to his community outweighs his obligation to himself.

    Natural disasters create situations where there is no morally perfect answer. The government has and should have a role under the general welfare clause to address national emergencies and natural disasters. Doing this effectively will mitigate price gouging and ensure needs are met.
    Natural disasters are the PERFECT means by which we find out everyone's character, and that's the essence of moral decision making.

    Those prices can't be maintained if FEMA is given sufficient power to distribute needed goods and services directly.
    Thank you, Lord Baelish. "Chaos is a ladder."
    Thanks from labrea

  6. #46
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,195
    Thanks
    3813

    From
    AK

    Free Market solutions that Republicans embrace

    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    A bidding war isn't the moral solution, it's just the solution that gives the guy with the most money to spend an advantage, and the store owner more money in his pocket.
    Limited supplies are limited supplies. All but one will walk away empty handed. Natural disasters create situations involving scarcity where no morally perfect or even superior solution can possibly exist. The government's focus should be on providing disaster relief (which will undercut those attempting to price gouge). Government does not need to get distracted about some asshole trying to charge a hyper-premium for shut he's trying to sell. Let him be an asshole and focus on providing the relief.

  7. #47
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,195
    Thanks
    3813

    From
    AK

    Free Market solutions that Republicans embrace

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    No one. In an emergency he should break up the case and hand out those bottles, first-come first-served, for free.
    Why not by milliliter, he can use a syringe to distribute the water as widely as possible. Anything less and he has a flawed character doesn't he? The government should shutter his business because he is so immoral if he doesn't do that.

    It's an emergency.
    If lack of drinking water is an emergency, then it's an emergency that cannot be solved by whoever is holding onto the last case of Dasani.

    At some point his obligation to his community outweighs his obligation to himself.
    Looter's mentality. I declare myself in need of what's yours, there is an emergency, so I hereby morally justify myself taking it from you.
    Natural disasters are the PERFECT means by which we find out everyone's character, and that's the essence of moral decision making.
    Yes and I would say it's clear that natural disasters provide an irresistible opportunity for left-wing people to feel especially more justified in entitling themselves to the property of others. At a deeper level, liberals want an excuse to disrupt the social order because they yearn for an ostensibly more legitimate excuse to confiscate the property of those they see as hoarding assets. They don't care if it doesn't actually solve the overall stated problems at hand, they just want an excuse to mess shit up and take property from others because that would feel good, and natural disasters provide an exciting opportunity to maybe get to do that.

  8. #48
    Burn it down Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    82,228
    Thanks
    21637

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    And yet, strangely, that's the only argument to which you choose to address yourself. You get to choose your opinions and argue from them. You do NOT get to choose your opponent's opinions and argue only against those you find conveniently specious. For example, why not respond to post #1 rather than post #2. I discover that post #2, in just about any thread, is a distraction.
    Because if Dr Troll wants to whine and cry about my response because he sucks at debate, then he should address what I say accurately. He is engaged in a logical fallacy of treating my response to a specific statement as if that were what I would say about every argument from the left.

  9. #49
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    29,812
    Thanks
    23573

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Limited supplies are limited supplies. All but one will walk away empty handed. Natural disasters create situations involving scarcity where no morally perfect or even superior solution can possibly exist. The government's focus should be on providing disaster relief (which will undercut those attempting to price gouge). Government does not need to get distracted about some asshole trying to charge a hyper-premium for shut he's trying to sell. Let him be an asshole and focus on providing the relief.
    Remember the story of the loaves and the fishes, or the children's story, "stone soup"? Both are stories about sharing vs hoarding (or price gouging) in a circumstance of scarcity.

  10. #50
    Burn it down Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    82,228
    Thanks
    21637

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sampson Simpson View Post
    Distraction is what he wants, people with no argument do that. You could write a multi paragraph response and they will pick one word or line and make some stupid snarky comment about that and ignore the rest and then act like they won the debate. Deflect, deflect deflect, the behavior of someone who is dead wrong and has nothing to support their position. We see this ad nauseum on this forum
    How about for once you address a topic instead of crying about me or other members? You can't because you suck at debate so you just post the same whining in every thread.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Republicans embrace class warfare
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 26th April 2015, 05:36 AM
  2. How To Fix Really Healthcare FREE MARKET SOLUTIONS
    By SleeperCell in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 27th August 2013, 04:37 PM
  3. Republicans Finally Embrace Big Government
    By katiegrrl0 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 8th May 2010, 01:03 PM
  4. where is the free market?
    By nonsqtr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 9th September 2009, 03:23 PM
  5. Free Market?
    By Trystan in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th June 2007, 03:01 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed