Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 160
Thanks Tree108Thanks

Thread: UpInequality

  1. #41
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49,960
    Thanks
    15056

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    When a person can't answer a simple question and tells you to read a book instead it usually means they don't have an answer.
    He answered your question just fine.
    Thanks from Madeline

  2. #42
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,211
    Thanks
    28225

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ealthy/504188/

    The above is a big part of why income inequality is growing. Simply increasing the marginal tax rate won't address that completely, although it would help address the debt and the deficit. We have to find a way to tax investment income that doesn't hurt middle class investors simply trying to save for retirement.
    I think a bigger issue is going to come in the future as our society is changing. Younger people don't have large families and many don't have kids at all. Some "experts" claim home ownership and marriage wont occur as it previously did due to feelings about those institutions. Which essentially makes them what used to be called "tax bait." So they will be paying full tax burdens. It will be interesting to see how that shifts things.
    Thanks from Babba and Madeline

  3. #43
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49,960
    Thanks
    15056

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    And what is their fair share?

    They already pay about 90% of all taxes collected.
    Of course they do, they make all the fucking money.
    Thanks from labrea

  4. #44
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49,960
    Thanks
    15056

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    So how much is their fair share?

    Why are you afraid to answer the question?
    the same marginal rates they had in 1965. you want to know what they were, google it.
    Thanks from Madeline

  5. #45
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49,960
    Thanks
    15056

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Not totally disagreeing with you but...

    Investing is good for America.

    Average American invests in companies, those companies grow and employ more Americans.

    And it's as easy as putting a few hundred $ in a mutual fund.
    I'd say being 20 trillion in debt is not good for America and only a fucking idiot would cut taxes further.
    Thanks from Madeline

  6. #46
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    68,609
    Thanks
    50511

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Who the fuck is contemplating seizing farmers land?
    Everything is all or nothing with conservatives.
    Thanks from Madeline

  7. #47
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    41,885
    Thanks
    44062

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ealthy/504188/

    The above is a big part of why income inequality is growing. Simply increasing the marginal tax rate won't address that completely, although it would help address the debt and the deficit. We have to find a way to tax investment income that doesn't hurt middle class investors simply trying to save for retirement.
    Simple, tax inheritance income like winning the lottery income, it is the same principal.
    Thanks from Babba

  8. #48
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    68,609
    Thanks
    50511

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Simple, tax inheritance income like winning the lottery income, it is the same principal.
    A power to dispose of estates for ever is manifestly absurd. The earth and the fulness of it belongs to every generation, and the preceding one can have no right to bind it up from posterity. Such extension of property is quite unnatural. ~ Thomas Jefferson

    There is no point more difficult to account for than the right we conceive men to have to dispose of their goods after death. ~ Adam Smith
    Thanks from OldGaffer, labrea and StanStill

  9. #49
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35,146
    Thanks
    27864

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I think a bigger issue is going to come in the future as our society is changing. Younger people don't have large families and many don't have kids at all. Some "experts" claim home ownership and marriage wont occur as it previously did due to feelings about those institutions. Which essentially makes them what used to be called "tax bait." So they will be paying full tax burdens. It will be interesting to see how that shifts things.
    i think its too soon to say where younger people will end up on the home buying, family establishing continuum.

  10. #50
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35,146
    Thanks
    27864

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    A power to dispose of estates for ever is manifestly absurd. The earth and the fulness of it belongs to every generation, and the preceding one can have no right to bind it up from posterity. Such extension of property is quite unnatural. ~ Thomas Jefferson

    There is no point more difficult to account for than the right we conceive men to have to dispose of their goods after death. ~ Adam Smith
    Socialists!
    Thanks from StanStill and Babba

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed