Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73
Thanks Tree46Thanks

Thread: Why Supply-Side Economics Is Right And Keynesian Economics Is Wrong

  1. #11
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    40,208
    Thanks
    42146

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    Sure we do, you like to look at Sweden, I prefer to look at Switzerland, a counntry with materially smaller government.
    What parts of our government do you want to "shrink"? Switzerland has no army, no navy and a small air force. It has a population of 8 million or so, about the same as the City of New York. My guess is that Switzerland has as many government employees as the City of New York, what do you think? Hell, lets google it.

    Switzerland-102,000 government employees
    City of New York-148,000 city employees. (New York has a half million bigger population than Switzerland)
    Thanks from Claudius the God

  2. #12
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    58,290
    Thanks
    28493

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    Sure we do, you like to look at Sweden, I prefer to look at Switzerland, a counntry with materially smaller government.
    It is a smaller country, by both geography and population. It is not a world power or an economic powerhouse with an undeserved reputation for properity. You are comparing apples and oranges.

    Yes, that is true with Sweden, as well. While we can certainly learn from both, any solution would have to be tailored to our particular circumstances, rather than applied on an ideological basis.

  3. #13
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,789
    Thanks
    1067

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    What parts of our government do you want to "shrink"? Switzerland has no army, no navy and a small air force. It has a population of 8 million or so, about the same as the City of New York. My guess is that Switzerland has as many government employees as the City of New York, what do you think? Hell, lets google it.

    Switzerland-102,000 government employees
    City of New York-148,000 city employees. (New York has a half million bigger population than Switzerland)
    All of it, specifically including military.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    48,341
    Thanks
    14254

    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    Work and value-adding production make an economy prosper, and eliminating disincentives to doing so, such as high taxation and regulatory burdens, stimulates growth.

    Why Supply-Side Economics Is Right And Keynesian Economics Is Wrong
    Nope, you are wrong.

  5. #15
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,789
    Thanks
    1067

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Nope, you are wrong.
    If that thought is wrong then you have to explain why liberal supported disincentives like taxes on carbon emissions would work or liberal support incentives like subsidies for solar for instance would work. All taxes are costs, all costs act as a disincentive. Conservatives recognize this because its correct.

  6. #16
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,789
    Thanks
    1067

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    It is a smaller country, by both geography and population. It is not a world power or an economic powerhouse with an undeserved reputation for properity. You are comparing apples and oranges.

    Yes, that is true with Sweden, as well. While we can certainly learn from both, any solution would have to be tailored to our particular circumstances, rather than applied on an ideological basis.
    Just because you can't emulate the political economy completely doesn't mean emulating the tax structure wouldn't behoove a larger country. In fact the fact we are larger is literally less of a physical constraint.

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    32,410
    Thanks
    19614

    From
    On a happy trail
    Still waiting for that rising tide that's supposed to lift my boat. Thirty years and counting.........
    Thanks from Friday13

  8. #18
    Established Member Redwood's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,867
    Thanks
    4404

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...ide-economics/

    I call your right wing rag article and counter with a left wing rag article that tears your arguments to pieces.

    Here, let me add a couple of Nobel Prize winning economists to my side of the argument:

    Paul Krugman:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/o...economics.html

    Joseph Stiglitz:



    https://www.cnbc.com/2015/04/22/tric...-stiglitz.html

    We can do this all day.
    There's PLENTY of evidence. Trickle Down... has reliably FAILED. We get a recession (often with some scandal) and a jump in unemployment. We get NO real upside.
    Thanks from Panzareta

  9. #19
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,789
    Thanks
    1067

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    There's PLENTY of evidence. Trickle Down... has reliably FAILED. We get a recession (often with some scandal) and a jump in unemployment. We get NO real upside.
    There's reliable evidence trickle down is a pejorative applied by the left. Fact is the government has gotten bigger, nothing so rare as a shrinking government. Supply side is very broad actually. Deregulation of airlines is supply side. Its focus is on removing undue imoediments to produce, of any nature.

  10. #20
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    35,883
    Thanks
    33251

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    There's PLENTY of evidence. Trickle Down... has reliably FAILED. We get a recession (often with some scandal) and a jump in unemployment. We get NO real upside.
    We've also reliably wound up with increased deficits and debt every time we've repeated this faith-based experiment. I'm no economist, but I'm a proficient observer who is in possession of fully functional long term memory.

    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey, OldGaffer, RNG and 2 others

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 7th July 2017, 04:13 AM
  2. Supply Side Economics
    By Æthelfrith in forum Economics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25th January 2015, 08:01 AM
  3. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 20th December 2013, 08:10 PM
  4. Oh The Horrors of Supply-Side Economics
    By Michael J in forum Economics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25th March 2012, 12:11 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed