Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73
Thanks Tree46Thanks

Thread: Why Supply-Side Economics Is Right And Keynesian Economics Is Wrong

  1. #21
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,333
    Thanks
    31592

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    There's reliable evidence trickle down is a pejorative applied by the left. Fact is the government has gotten bigger, nothing so rare as a shrinking government. Supply side is very broad actually. Deregulation of airlines is supply side. Its focus is on removing undue imoediments to produce, of any nature.
    We didn't need a big government when we had 13 states and a very limited population. We have a bigger government today because we have a bigger nation.
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #22
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,672
    Thanks
    1029

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    We didn't need a big government when we had 13 states and a very limited population. We have a bigger government today because we have a bigger nation.
    A nominally larger one yes, but not a proportionately larger one when compared with obviously more relevant recent times, ie our lifetimes.

  3. #23
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    53,261
    Thanks
    25494

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    Just because you can't emulate the political economy completely doesn't mean emulating the tax structure wouldn't behoove a larger country. In fact the fact we are larger is literally less of a physical constraint.
    Our particular circumstances, however, do not permit us to emulate the political economy of a nation that does not share those circumstances. In terms of applying a legal case to a situation, the one is not on-point with respect to the other.

  4. #24
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,333
    Thanks
    31592

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    A nominally larger one yes, but not a proportionately larger one when compared with obviously more relevant recent times, ie our lifetimes.
    We had proportionally bigger government during my childhood, and we also had better quality of life for a far greater share of our population. At least, for the white skinned segment of our population, which at the time, was a significant majority.
    Thanks from OldGaffer and Panzareta

  5. #25
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    10,073
    Thanks
    5601

    From
    Between everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    There's reliable evidence trickle down is a pejorative applied by the left. Fact is the government has gotten bigger, nothing so rare as a shrinking government. Supply side is very broad actually. Deregulation of airlines is supply side. Its focus is on removing undue imoediments to produce, of any nature.
    Yes. In particular, those pesky and expensive environmental and financial industry regulations. Ah, the good old days of burning rivers, choking skies and mortgage default stampedes.
    Thanks from Friday13 and tnbskts

  6. #26
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,672
    Thanks
    1029

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    We had proportionally bigger government during my childhood, and we also had better quality of life for a far greater share of our population. At least, for the white skinned segment of our population, which at the time, was a significant majority.
    No, you didn't unless you were around during WW2. The government now consumes 40% of GDP, a post WW2 high.

  7. #27
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,672
    Thanks
    1029

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Our particular circumstances, however, do not permit us to emulate the political economy of a nation that does not share those circumstances. In terms of applying a legal case to a situation, the one is not on-point with respect to the other.
    It'd be difficult to say that we cannot emulate the proportionate size of the Swiss government when in fact the US had a proportionally smaller government for the majority of its post-ww2 existence.

  8. #28
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    38,075
    Thanks
    39993

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    No, you didn't unless you were around during WW2. The government now consumes 40% of GDP, a post WW2 high.
    Are you counting social security and Medicare payments in that number? Because those are self funded by the workers...
    Thanks from Panzareta

  9. #29
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,672
    Thanks
    1029

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Are you counting social security and Medicare payments in that number? Because those are self funded by the workers...
    "Self-funded" by workers doesn't make it any less 'government spending. It is. Welfare/entitlements aren't excluded just because you find it rhetorically expedient.

  10. #30
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31,006
    Thanks
    18541

    From
    On a happy trail
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    "Self-funded" by workers doesn't make it any less 'government spending. It is. Welfare/entitlements aren't excluded just because you find it rhetorically expedient.
    I paid for my SS/Medicare which are entrusted to the Gov for safe keeping until I qualify. Are savings bonds holders also in your "rhetorically expedient" category?

    So you are admitting you are being dishonest with your figures? Next you be telling us you are a libertarian.
    Last edited by Panzareta; 31st October 2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Thanks from labrea

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 7th July 2017, 05:13 AM
  2. Supply Side Economics
    By Æthelfrith in forum Economics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25th January 2015, 09:01 AM
  3. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 20th December 2013, 09:10 PM
  4. Oh The Horrors of Supply-Side Economics
    By Michael J in forum Economics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25th March 2012, 01:11 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed