Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 311
Thanks Tree162Thanks

Thread: Americans Havenít Been This Poor and Indebted in Decades

  1. #31
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    66,601
    Thanks
    47492

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Bullshit. There are many ways to pay for college. Sure, you may not be going to University of Georgia but there are community colleges that are affordable.
    Do you have any idea how bad off many people are? No, they don't have money for even community college. You're just not getting this.

  2. #32
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    24,406
    Thanks
    20533

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Really? So magically there will be MORE jobs for these people to fill? Are these jobs empty now? Explain how skilled people will earn more and pay more in taxes without magical job creation. When the waitress has a college degree, the janitor has a college degree, what's the point?
    Now you make an argument for birthright, that's probably the truss that holds up a true Democratic philosophy. Your argument is invalid.

  3. #33
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    66,601
    Thanks
    47492

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Really? So magically there will be MORE jobs for these people to fill? Are these jobs empty now? Explain how skilled people will earn more and pay more in taxes without magical job creation. When the waitress has a college degree, the janitor has a college degree, what's the point?
    You're right. We'll always need waitresses and janitors. We need to pay them a living wage.

  4. #34
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    24,406
    Thanks
    20533

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    We bought a $48,000 CNC mill and Bridgeport paid for one of our machinists to fly to their factory and learn to program it.



    And we saved many thousands of dollars instead of having the parts farmed out like we did before we got the CNC.

    Thx
    Exactly.
    Thanks from Thx1138

  5. #35
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,428
    Thanks
    13455

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotaFrayed View Post
    If you're a greedy bastard, there's nothing like, the less I pay, the more there is for me.......

    It works especially well if you keep suckering the same people who vote for your BIG tax cuts at the top (because millionaires are always down and out and can't afford to pay their bills) and use "welfare" programs to supplement the measly pay you offer and as something you can use to campaign on suckering the same suckers, yet again.....

    It's like stealing out of the suckers left hand pocket, telling them tax cuts are good for them and handing them back 3/4 of what you took out of their left hand pocket so they can put it in their right hand pocket and thank you for making them "feel" so much better.........till they realize they really aren't better and then you can use that to campaign on, but blame the opposition, for what YOU did.

    Not until the Americans that keep getting suckered, wise up, will America actually see some positive change for other than millionaires and billionaires.
    Dem Presidents end up spending their term making up for republican abuses. (ie: "fiscal conservatism.")

    Then, by the time they get the country sorted back out, well, it's time for a repub to come into office and take the credit and reap the rewards.

    And start the abuse all over...

    Thx

  6. #36
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    34,786
    Thanks
    7139

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Do you have any idea how bad off many people are? No, they don't have money for even community college. You're just not getting this.
    No, you don't get it. FREE education is meaningless. It is worthless. A high school diploma is free. What's it worth? Nothing. Even funnier, many do not even get a high school diploma. College is worth something when you worked for it. You sacrificed to get it. This free bullshit, just means that you want to raise my taxes to give a longer free ride. I'm glad that your party is in control of NOTHING.

    Tell me, if this is such a good idea, why hasn't some bastion of liberalism like California or New York paid for college education with tax dollars? Just raise those state taxes and send them off to school. My state has free college. That's right, Georgia, has the HOPE scholarship which gives you free school, paid for by the lottery BUT you have to maintain a 3.0 grade point average. And people say that is so unfair because poor students can't get good grades.

    https://gsfc.georgia.gov/hope#field_related_links-576-0

  7. #37
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    13,962
    Thanks
    11554

    From
    Here
    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    Anyway skilled people will earn more and pay more taxes and will not ask for social benefits..... For the taxpayer it can be a win win process like for the state....
    People cannot become skilled if they lack the opportunity to get an education that provides them with skills.

    Here in America, there are some that want to make education something that only the more wealthy can afford and only those that are "acceptable" with regard to "achievement" at a very young age. That leaves out a segment of society instead of lifting the entire society up where most children, because their parents are not working three jobs to make ends meet and are never home, can spend time with their children and their children are in turn, better suited to learning, instead of seeking attention because they get none at home (their parents are always working to make ends meet) and disrupting the learning of all others. Instead of tax cuts, which here, always tend to enrich the already rich....which the greedy of that group use to elect people that will keep the wealthy super wealthy, by keeping wages low......it would be better to balance the equation by balancing out higher wages to a larger body of people, with less pay to the already wealthy, reducing the income gap. Then, as you said, the larger body of population will not only have more money in their pocket, they will be paying more in taxes, with no change in tax rates.....

  8. #38
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    90,068
    Thanks
    66394

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    So that explains everything? People are just dumber and lazier. There's nothing else going on?
    After reading his posts in this thread, he may be on to something.
    Thanks from OldGaffer

  9. #39
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    90,068
    Thanks
    66394

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    No, free college is not to the public good. Free college is an utter waste. We give free high school diplomas. What are they worth? Free means paid for by taxpayers, in other words seized from those that earned it to give it to those that haven't. When a college degree is the norm, what happens to the kid who got pregnant and only wound up with a high school diploma? Shitty jobs for life? What about the kid who doesn't graduate high school? Really fucked?

    A college education means something when you have to work for it. When you invest in yourself to get it.
    Too much salt on your pretzel logic.

    Need a drink.

  10. #40
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    13,962
    Thanks
    11554

    From
    Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    No, you don't get it. FREE education is meaningless. It is worthless. A high school diploma is free. What's it worth? Nothing. Even funnier, many do not even get a high school diploma. College is worth something when you worked for it. You sacrificed to get it. This free bullshit, just means that you want to raise my taxes to give a longer free ride. I'm glad that your party is in control of NOTHING.

    Tell me, if this is such a good idea, why hasn't some bastion of liberalism like California or New York paid for college education with tax dollars? Just raise those state taxes and send them off to school. My state has free college. That's right, Georgia, has the HOPE scholarship which gives you free school, paid for by the lottery BUT you have to maintain a 3.0 grade point average. And people say that is so unfair because poor students can't get good grades.

    https://gsfc.georgia.gov/hope#field_related_links-576-0
    You need to get out in the world and think a little more. Not everyone's life is as "blessed" as yours or without roadblocks you cannot conceive of and for every "I/they did it, why can't you", or "we're perfect (in our vain minds) why aren't you",story, there are stories that show very smart and highly motivated people running into life situations that destroy a future for them. Everyone loves the "pulled themselves up by the bootstraps story, but they don't look at the whole picture and they don't even look at their own lives in comparison. If everyone "pulled themselves up by the bootstraps (and NO ONE does that without help and in a vacuum) there wouldn't be any products made by the people who currently, DO MOST OF THE LABOR!!! NOT sit in an office typing out computer code or keeping track of their investments or being CEO of a company of CEO's......

    SO AMAZING that the lecturers on "when you work for it you appreciate it that much more" are the one's that elected a billionaire BORN with a silver spoon in his mouth and a million dollar loan from his daddy to "make his way in the world".......The same person that applies for permits to fill his resort/Southern White House with foreign workers from the very countries he calls "sh*thole countries.....
    http://fortune.com/2018/01/12/donald...ti-mar-a-lago/

    What we need are more Americans who are sharp enough and critical thinking enough to stop buying into the BS and elect REAL people, not Reality TV people who are about as fake as fake can be......and totally ripping America off, because as the rip off artist himself says, they're STUPID! Yes, the people that elected the con artist, ARE stupid and as before, they won't realize it until all the things they elected the con artist to achieve, only achieve more wealth for the con artist.....Then, because they fail to engage their brains, they will continue to believe the con artist when he blames no improvement for his supporters, on someone else, NOT on his own ripping them off.

    America needs a change in attitude from the greed is good, we're going to cut you off at the knees or throw you in the trash pile, unless you "perform", to one that HELPS young people achieve, NOT by threatening to throw them out in the cold and forget them if they aren't all 4.0 students....but one that says we're going to help you become educated and learn a skill and find a place best suited for you to do that.

    America needs to be a family, just like all the families that fill it. Just as one cannot simply have a child then neglect to care for it, without consequence to the parent or the child, America cannot neglect it's children and expect no consequence to the nation or those children.




    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."
    Thomas Jefferson, letter to P. S. du Pont de Nemours (April 24, 1816); reported in Henry Augustine Washington, ed., The Writings of Thomas Jefferson: Being His Autobiography, Correspondence, Reports, Messages, Addresses, And Other Writings, Official and Private, Volume 5 (1854), p. 592. This sentence is one of many quotations inscribed on Cox Corridor II, a first floor House corridor, U.S. Capitol.


    "I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power."
    Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Charles Jarvis, September 28, 1820. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, ed. Paul L. Ford, vol. 10 (1899), p. 161.



    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. The functionaries of every government have propensities to command at will the liberty and property of their constituents. There is no safe deposit for these but with the people themselves; nor can they be safe with them without information. Where the press is free, and every man able to read, all is safe."
    Thomas Jefferson, letter to Colonel Charles Yancey, January 6, 1816. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, ed. Paul L. Ford, vol. 10 (1899), p. 4.


    If we create a system whereby ONLY the brightest are educated and the rest are rejected or left without education for ANY reason, then we have failed the future of our nation and we have set up, what Jefferson and others said an educated populace, would prevent.

    From what anyone can see, the income gap and the move to undermine public education and make education available only to the brightest and the wealthiest, has done for this nation, what Jefferson warned education for all, would thwart.

    There is a reason education of slaves was considered a crime in some places in the history of this nation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-literacy_law

    It just would not do, to have uppity, people who were able to figure out how they were being kept down OR to become intelligent enough to compete with the greedy wealthy, for any wealth available.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42745853

    Can't dilute or spread that wealth out, now can we.......

    So......let's just keep pumping up that stock market........where it pops, no body knows (y'all saw the Great Recession coming, didn't you?), but those who engage their brains, KNOW it's going to pop, but, will they be intelligent enough to know when to cash out (and pay less taxes).......leaving the poor suckers whose retirement depends on their investments, in yet one more BIG hole......till those depths can be once again, SLOOOOOOWLY be recovered from......by those who are not only going to take the heat (heat from those who caused the bubble and its popping) for NOT recovering from THEIR mess, fast enough.....but be blamed for the failure, BY the people that caused it.....
    Last edited by KnotaFrayed; 23rd January 2018 at 05:44 AM.
    Thanks from Babba

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th April 2016, 11:19 AM
  2. Poor, poor stupid Americans
    By PACE in forum Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 8th December 2015, 03:42 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 16th January 2015, 09:03 PM
  4. Because "good Americans" are just criminals who haven't shot anybody yet.
    By Angel of Dearth in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 2nd May 2013, 08:59 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th February 2010, 03:54 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed