Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 311
Thanks Tree162Thanks

Thread: Americans Havenít Been This Poor and Indebted in Decades

  1. #61
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    66,601
    Thanks
    47492

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    That is a load of crap, real median household incomes and net worth are significantly higher than during Obama's tenure.
    Got proof of that statement?

  2. #62
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    13,962
    Thanks
    11554

    From
    Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Well, I'm sorry, but your statements are getting a bit nonsensical here.

    Machines don't do anything but what they are set up for, and someone has to have an economic motivation to do so...

    Heck, why don't you just set up your own robot that will make and pass out free lemonade to the neighbor kids?

    There's a nice little Epson "pick-n-place" you could probably get to do the job, it's only about $6,000.

    Automation didn't just spring up of it's own accord.

    At one time, a good pin maker could produce about 20 pins a day...

    They came up with a simple machine and process that brought that up to 600 a day...

    "How ya' gonna keep 'em, back on the farm, after they've seen gay Pariee..."

    Thx
    Nonsensical???? You mean to say no human would program a machine to rob a bank.....and there is no economic motivation behind such? Security software on computers is put in place why? Because all people program machines to do GOOD things?

    See, you are already failing to think.....and to read and comprehend what I have said....

    Sorry.
    Last edited by KnotaFrayed; 23rd January 2018 at 07:04 AM.

  3. #63
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,428
    Thanks
    13455

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotaFrayed View Post
    Nonsensical???? You mean to say no human would program a machine to rob a bank.....and there is no economic motivation behind such?

    See, you are already failing to think.....

    Sorry.
    I replied to your original post, this:

    "I USE technology and automation, so contrary to what you seem to believe I said, it is not what I said.

    I would NOT be the one to put any genie back in the bottle. What I am discussing is humanity making a wish to the Genie, that machines could do everything and the Genie, makes both humanity and themselves, go away, because, what is the need for human beings, when machines can do all, or more, than humans can.

    The genie is not the machine, but the granter of wishes humans make. It would be wonderful to laze on the beach and have i-bots deliver your pina colada and do everything for you, but what becomes your purpose in life? What becomes your purpose to machines who are serving you because you want them to do everything any human can, and more? Why the need for humans anymore?"

    __________________________________________________ ___________________



    Not the three times more that you added on edit. See anything about robbing a bank in there?^

    Yes, someone can rob a bank with computers, it is done all the time, and someone can use a computer to catch those crooks, and NONE of that was done by a benevolent robot because someone wished they just would.

    Fine, you be the one on the soapbox shouting "Stop this madness, The End IS Near!"

    For the most part you have this assumption that robots will replace people all together, when's the last time your system booted itself up and came here on PH?

    More the stuff of Sci-fi I'm afraid, you are not considering the economic aspects, again, why not just set up a robot that will grow and pick flowers and hand them out free to passersby?

    Thx
    Last edited by Thx1138; 23rd January 2018 at 07:08 AM.

  4. #64
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    13,962
    Thanks
    11554

    From
    Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    I replied to your original post, this:

    "I USE technology and automation, so contrary to what you seem to believe I said, it is not what I said.

    I would NOT be the one to put any genie back in the bottle. What I am discussing is humanity making a wish to the Genie, that machines could do everything and the Genie, makes both humanity and themselves, go away, because, what is the need for human beings, when machines can do all, or more, than humans can.

    The genie is not the machine, but the granter of wishes humans make. It would be wonderful to laze on the beach and have i-bots deliver your pina colada and do everything for you, but what becomes your purpose in life? What becomes your purpose to machines who are serving you because you want them to do everything any human can, and more? Why the need for humans anymore?"

    __________________________________________________ ___________________

    Not the three times more that you added on edit.

    Yes, someone can rob a bank with computers, it is done all the time, and someone can use a computer to catch those crooks, and NONE of that was done by a benevolent robot because someone wished they just would.

    Fine, you be the one on the soapbox shouting "Stop this madness, The End IS Near!"

    For the most part you have this assumption that robots will replace people all together, when's the last time your system booted itself up and came here on PH?

    More the stuff of Sci-fi I'm afraid, you are not considering the economic aspects, again, why not just set up a robot that will grow and pick flowers and hand them out free to passersby?

    Thx
    Do you have problems with reading and comprehension?

    No Sci-fi here....no downsides to "wonder" technology either....???

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukush...clear_disaster





    How many people has your new machining machine employed or unemployed? Why not automate everything, including the work YOU do? Who needs you, when someone can program a machine to do what you do? You'll be paid, why? For not doing anything?

    It's NOT a question of all the things a machine can do, but all the things it CAN do, that YOU and others cannot. Who NEEDS ya' when machines can do it BETTER than you?

    If you're not thinking about that, then one day, YOU might be tapped on the shoulder by your machine, replacement.....
    Last edited by KnotaFrayed; 23rd January 2018 at 07:16 AM.

  5. #65
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,428
    Thanks
    13455

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotaFrayed View Post
    Do you have problems with reading and comprehension?

    No Sci-fi here....no downsides to "wonder" technology either....???

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukush...clear_disaster



    No, but I do have a problem with those who refer to giant edits they put in AFTER I posted my response.

    (And then go back and claim I have a reading impairment....)

    Gee, now you are on to plastic in the ocean, not exactly a smooth segue there.

    Say, how about a robot to clean up that muck?

    At one time men envisioned a utopian society, a 20 hour work week, an all-purpose robot that will go to your job for you and push the buttons you normally do at your job...

    Well, some of those visions came true, in other ways they were far too naÔve...

    No, again, I'm afraid you are just not considering the economics here, robots cost money and someone has to have a good enough use for them to warrant their cost.

    Thx

  6. #66
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,428
    Thanks
    13455

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotaFrayed View Post
    Do you have problems with reading and comprehension?

    No Sci-fi here....no downsides to "wonder" technology either....???

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukush...clear_disaster





    How many people has your new machining machine employed or unemployed? Why not automate everything, including the work YOU do? Who needs you, when someone can program a machine to do what you do? You'll be paid, why? For not doing anything?

    It's NOT a question of all the things a machine can do, but all the things it CAN do, that YOU and others cannot. Who NEEDS ya' when machines can do it BETTER than you?

    If you're not thinking about that, then one day, YOU might be tapped on the shoulder by your machine, replacement.....
    And here you go with the giant edit again, I hope you are not going to chew me out for not commenting on what wasn't there when I made my post.

    Something else, I wonder how much of that plastic is associated with computers, like the one you are using now to post here...?

    Computers are machines, and machines are tools, they can be used for deemed good purposes or deemed bad purposes, it's up to people to decide that.

    also... you say you know about machines and make ridiculous assertions like this?> "Why not automate everything, including the work YOU do? Who needs you, when someone can program a machine to do what you do? You'll be paid, why? For not doing anything?"

    Have you ever tooled-up a robot?

    Thx
    Last edited by Thx1138; 23rd January 2018 at 07:34 AM.

  7. #67
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,061
    Thanks
    2640

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    That's a part of the problem, but automation means many fewer humans are needed to produce many products.
    Somebody has to be trained and paid to market, sell and service all the differing forms of automation.
    Thanks from Thx1138

  8. #68
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,061
    Thanks
    2640

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotaFrayed View Post
    If you're a greedy bastard, there's nothing like, the less I pay, the more there is for me.......

    It works especially well if you keep suckering the same people who vote for your BIG tax cuts at the top (because millionaires are always down and out and can't afford to pay their bills) and use "welfare" programs to supplement the measly pay you offer and as something you can use to campaign on suckering the same suckers, yet again.....

    It's like stealing out of the suckers left hand pocket, telling them tax cuts are good for them and handing them back 3/4 of what you took out of their left hand pocket so they can put it in their right hand pocket and thank you for making them "feel" so much better.........till they realize they really aren't better and then you can use that to campaign on, but blame the opposition, for what YOU did.

    Not until the Americans that keep getting suckered, wise up, will America actually see some positive change for other than millionaires and billionaires.
    If you want really big tax cuts...work your way to the top. Bitching, moaning and complaining about others success just reeks of jealousy and envy

  9. #69
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,061
    Thanks
    2640

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Do you have any idea how bad off many people are? No, they don't have money for even community college. You're just not getting this.
    Bad off? Do you mean like over than 80% of the people on the planet? People that wake up and hope they will eat today

  10. #70
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    66,601
    Thanks
    47492

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by carpe diem View Post
    Somebody has to be trained and paid to market, sell and service all the differing forms of automation.
    That still means fewer jobs.

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th April 2016, 11:19 AM
  2. Poor, poor stupid Americans
    By PACE in forum Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 8th December 2015, 03:42 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 16th January 2015, 09:03 PM
  4. Because "good Americans" are just criminals who haven't shot anybody yet.
    By Angel of Dearth in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 2nd May 2013, 08:59 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th February 2010, 03:54 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed