Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Thanks Tree4Thanks

Thread: Anybody else have the courage to look at their 401K lately?

  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,183
    Thanks
    2995

    From
    California

    Anybody else have the courage to look at their 401K lately?

    Not bad for me. I took about a 4.5% hit in the rout, but I got out two weeks ago, just before the first 1000 point drop (but not before it had already dropped more than 1000 points), and went into bond funds. Makes me flat, year to date, but still did 18% last year.

    Hopefully everybody else survived.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    9,376
    Thanks
    1568

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Not bad for me. I took about a 4.5% hit in the rout, but I got out two weeks ago, just before the first 1000 point drop (but not before it had already dropped more than 1000 points), and went into bond funds. Makes me flat, year to date, but still did 18% last year.

    Hopefully everybody else survived.
    Up 4.8% YTD, haven't sold anything, bought last Monday. Up 22.7% in the last 12 months.
    Thanks from Kallie Knoetze

  3. #3
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    44,970
    Thanks
    29382

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Back in January, I put $11k in a Fidelity cash account - and waited. As soon as the stock dropped last week, I transferred it all into my Roth IRA accounts (mine and my wife's).
    Thanks from Kallie Knoetze

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,183
    Thanks
    2995

    From
    California
    Good moves, all. It is nice to see some people paying attention to their money and taking actions when needed. I just wish they would teach in schools that everybody is responsible for their own financial well being.

  5. #5
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    44,970
    Thanks
    29382

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Good moves, all. It is nice to see some people paying attention to their money and taking actions when needed. I just wish they would teach in schools that everybody is responsible for their own financial well being.
    I think it's tragic that most schools in the U.S. don't have a class dedicated to subjects that EVERYONE should learn. Like how rent/mortgages work. How to read a lease agreement. How to use credit cards responsibly. How to live within one's means. How to determine what you can afford for rent/mortgage. How to save for retirement. How to invest responsibly, etc.
    Thanks from Kallie Knoetze and Blues63

  6. #6
    Franken-Stein DemoKKKrats excalibur's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    10,008
    Thanks
    3271

    From
    The Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    I think it's tragic that most schools in the U.S. don't have a class dedicated to subjects that EVERYONE should learn. Like how rent/mortgages work. How to read a lease agreement. How to use credit cards responsibly. How to live within one's means. How to determine what you can afford for rent/mortgage. How to save for retirement. How to invest responsibly, etc.

    Well, government is supposed to take care of all of that for us, so why bother the teachers unions teaching that when we have black history month propaganda as one instance. More important stuff like that to teach the children about.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    27,439
    Thanks
    8156

    From
    Earth
    I don't worry about volatility. It creates opportunity.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,987
    Thanks
    4006

    From
    AK
    I didn't make any moves during the recent volatility. I won't be retirement age for another 30 years, so I try to refrain from timing the markets with that money.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,183
    Thanks
    2995

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I didn't make any moves during the recent volatility. I won't be retirement age for another 30 years, so I try to refrain from timing the markets with that money.
    Mr. Neomalthusian,

    I will be retiring soon, so I have defensive positions.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,405
    Thanks
    12523

    From
    My own world
    Hold on to cash as the market is going to react again with another downturn.

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...ata-2018-02-14

    “Anything with inflation seems like a hot button nowadays, but it is a bit of a red herring here: higher inflation and higher rates are symptoms of economic health. And while inflation is rising it’s still below trend,” said Karyn Cavanaugh, senior market strategist at Voya Financial.

    “At this point it’s not inflation but reflation and the Fed will not pull the trigger that fast,” said Cavanaugh.


    Initial investor reaction to the data scuggest that people are worried of aggressive move by the policy makers.

    The Fed’s hand “may be forced if data on inflation continues to come in higher than expected. The added risk is that the FOMC in 2018 is not the same as the FOMC in 2017, we have a lot more hawks in the committee,” said Kristina Hooper, chief global market strategist at Invesco.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Obama has his eye on your 401k money
    By nonsqtr in forum Economics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th February 2013, 02:36 PM
  2. 401K Questions
    By Devil505 in forum Economics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st November 2010, 04:20 PM
  3. Unions Now Want Your 401K
    By THOR in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th March 2010, 09:25 AM
  4. Feds Want Your 401k and IRA Plans!
    By jennie8320 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 5th March 2010, 03:54 PM
  5. 401K's the Culprit
    By Howe Itis in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd February 2009, 04:29 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed