Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 149
Thanks Tree107Thanks

Thread: Bernie Sandersí Economic Inequality Town Hall Draws 1.7 Million Live Viewers

  1. #21
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,036
    Thanks
    30459

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    we need new candidates. He and Hillary both had their chance. If he does run I hope his rivals don't go easy on him like Hillary did.
    Despite the very funny-sounding name, give some consideration to Governor John Hickenlooper of Colorado.

  2. #22
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,036
    Thanks
    30459

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    What do college kids see in him. Are they being influenced by their left leaning college professors? Income inequality sounds like a an issue a Marxist would try to sell. There are lots of inequalities in life.
    Performers rise to the upper levels, low performers fall below.
    Here's why you should care about inequality, Thor, and I am going to try to put this into terms that even a strong anti-Marxist-----which I also am!!----should appreciate:

    We have VERY strong and persuasive evidence, from more than 160 countries around the world, that societies with very high levels of inequality tend to suffer two rather serious consequences:

    (1) the economic growth rate in those countries falls, pretty dramatically; and

    (2) such countries become far more susceptible to the kind of major financial/banking/credit crisis that the United States (and many other countries) just went through a decade ago.

    Now, if you actually LIKE slow growth and financial crises, then you should be comfortable with the current high and growing level of income and wealth inequality in the United States.

    Shrug. Up to you.
    Thanks from Panzareta, NightSwimmer and Eve1

  3. #23
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,036
    Thanks
    30459

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    THe term "Income Inequality" that's different then creating new industry, plants, manufacturing. Reserving jobs for Americans. Stupid trade policy that allows foreign countries to dump on us, killing off our industry. Giving incentives to bring money and jobs back to America. A $15 dollar minimum wage is not going to restore the middle class. That will just encourage me not to eat in a fast food joint.
    Perhaps you need to turn off Bernie Sanders, he's never run anything. He's been on the govt tit most of his life.
    I wish Americans REALLY understood what the economic effects of tariffs are. I mean, I REALLY wish that. Devoutly. If they understood, they would NOT support tariffs. 93% of trained economists think that tariffs HARM the country imposing them. The other 7% of economists are knuckleheads and morons, and are almost certainly not specialists in international trade theory. Ah well. Every eighty years or so, it seems the world must learn this lesson anew, that trade wars are profoundly negative-sum, lose-lose games.

    The trade wars of the 1930's led to the REAL wars of the 1940's.

    I'm betting the trade wars of the 2020's are gonna lead to real wars in the 2030's.

    In fact, I plan to write a book about it. I'm retiring in two months, and I'm gonna write a sci-fi novel about the next two to four decades. It's gonna be grim, and it's gonna be dark. Kind of a real world Game of Thrones. Genocides and terrorist nuclear bombings. Mega-droughts and hyper-canes. Plagues and pandemics. Tyrants and dictators the world over. A big old Carrington event, if you know what that is. A modern horror story. I'm gonna scare the holy HELL out of people.

    And I hope to sell enough books that I can relocate to the South Seas and live the good life.
    Thanks from OldGaffer

  4. #24
    Established Member soupnazi's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Thanks
    1287

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Jesus Fucking Christ, @THOR! The American middle class is disappearing into poverty and you think this is a "leftist" issue?

    You are a victim of propaganda, sir. You need to watch or read a news source that reports economic issues with greater balance.

    I recommend Bloomberg (cable tv channel as well as print media), The Atlantic, Vanity Fair, maybe The Economist if you want something more scholarly.

    PLEASE do not allow FOX to dictate your beliefs, attitudes, votes, etc.
    Thor is correct and the middle class is simply not disappearing.

    Sanders is a socialist fool
    Thanks from THOR

  5. #25
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,036
    Thanks
    30459

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
    Thor is correct and the middle class is simply not disappearing.
    I suppose I could cite the Brookings Institution study that documented that middle-class neighborhoods have been vanishing across the length and breadth of America, but a poster like this would simply scream 'FAKE NEWS!!'

    So I won't bother.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  6. #26
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,888
    Thanks
    5072

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I wish Americans REALLY understood what the economic effects of tariffs are. I mean, I REALLY wish that. Devoutly. If they understood, they would NOT support tariffs. 93% of trained economists think that tariffs HARM the country imposing them. The other 7% of economists are knuckleheads and morons, and are almost certainly not specialists in international trade theory. Ah well. Every eighty years or so, it seems the world must learn this lesson anew, that trade wars are profoundly negative-sum, lose-lose games.

    The trade wars of the 1930's led to the REAL wars of the 1940's.

    I'm betting the trade wars of the 2020's are gonna lead to real wars in the 2030's.

    In fact, I plan to write a book about it. I'm retiring in two months, and I'm gonna write a sci-fi novel about the next two to four decades. It's gonna be grim, and it's gonna be dark. Kind of a real world Game of Thrones. Genocides and terrorist nuclear bombings. Mega-droughts and hyper-canes. Plagues and pandemics. Tyrants and dictators the world over. A big old Carrington event, if you know what that is. A modern horror story. I'm gonna scare the holy HELL out of people.

    And I hope to sell enough books that I can relocate to the South Seas and live the good life.
    So other countries can do to us what we are not allowed to do to them. Surprised we have trade deficits? There is trade theory and trade reality.

  7. #27
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,888
    Thanks
    5072

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I suppose I could cite the Brookings Institution study that documented that middle-class neighborhoods have been vanishing across the length and breadth of America, but a poster like this would simply scream 'FAKE NEWS!!'

    So I won't bother.
    Losing our industrial capacity because Other countries can dump on us and we can't do likewise. Other counties can keep us out of theirs but we have to take theirs. Got it. So as the middle class as you call it,is disappearing we import lots of poverty. I've never screamed Fake News.

  8. #28
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,036
    Thanks
    30459

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    So other countries can do to us what we are not allowed to do to them. Surprised we have trade deficits? There is trade theory and trade reality.
    Sigh. Most Americans----even MANY Americans who loathe Donald Trump-----think America has a huge trade deficit because other nations are taking advantage of us. That's the Trumpian theory of the trade deficit, all right. Correct? Is that not what YOU believe?

    Well, you're wrong! That is NOT what causes America's very large trade deficit. Here is what does: America is a very low-saving country. We spend beyond our means. Indeed, BOTH our large trade deficit AND our large budget deficit are symptoms of that same issue, that we are a spendthrift nation. If Americans want a lower trade deficit, then here is what we would NEED to do: we would need to SAVE more. That's it. Simple as that. Donald Trump won't tell you that. I just did. In fact, NO politician is going to tell you that. NO American politician is going to stand in front of some large crowd, field a question about the trade deficit, and start pointing out people in the crowd, saying, "Well, the trade deficit is YOUR fault, and YOUR fault, and YOUR fault, and YOUR fault!" That's not gonna get him any votes! No siree Bob!

    Here's what WILL get him votes: Blame it on them dadburned furriners! Gets the rubes EVERY time! SOOOOO easy to blame America's economic problems on foreigners.

    Here's the TRUTH, Thor: America's economic problems are CLEARLY stamped: Made In America
    Thanks from Panzareta

  9. #29
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,036
    Thanks
    30459

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    So other countries can do to us what we are not allowed to do to them. Surprised we have trade deficits? There is trade theory and trade reality.
    By the way, as an addendum to my post #28, there was a letter to the editor of The Wall Street Journal just a few days ago, commenting on an editorial they ran regarding Mr. Trump's new steel and aluminum tariffs, when the WSJ pointed out that those tariffs will cost more jobs than they will save. The letter was from a Professor Emeritus of Economics at the Naval Postgraduate School. I left the letter at work, maybe I will quote from it tomorrow. But I can summarize what the letter said. It said that Mr. Trump should worry more about the budget deficit than the trade deficit. It said that a larger budget deficit will cause the trade deficit to get larger. [That very much happened during the 1980's, Thor.] And we are headed for MUCH larger budget deficits.

    Prepare yourself to see MUCH larger trade deficits, Thor. That is what Donald Trump's economic policies are going to cause. He is NOT going to make things better. He is going to make them WORSE. MUCH worse.

    Don't come back a year or two from now and say you weren't warned. I just warned you.
    Thanks from Panzareta

  10. #30
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35,216
    Thanks
    27941

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by TNHarley View Post
    I rarely agree with his socialist leaning policies but i always respected him.. Right up till the point he threw away his integrity and 30 years of rhetoric, to endorse the VERY kind of person he rails against. That was a sad day :/
    That is politics.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cassidy / Graham/ Klobucher/ Sanders Town Hall
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 22nd September 2017, 12:54 PM
  2. Sanders Town Hall
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26th April 2016, 10:53 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th March 2016, 08:56 AM
  4. A Joint Town Hall with Rand Paul and Bernie Sanders?
    By ZakCarter in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st September 2015, 12:25 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th August 2012, 04:09 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed