Results 1 to 8 of 8
Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 1 Post By DebateDrone
  • 1 Post By BigLeRoy
  • 1 Post By THOR

Thread: China plans tariffs on 3B worth of US goods after Trump order.

  1. #1
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    460
    Thanks
    50

    China plans tariffs on 3B worth of US goods after Trump order.

    China plans tariffs on 3B worth of US goods after Trump order.

    Refer to
    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...1951521725671/

    I'm among the proponents of USA adopting the trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It would if not entirely eliminate, significantly reduce USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods.
    Our current and no other existing or proposed national trade policy could accomplish this as well for the USA, and with lesser increases of prices to USA purchasers of imported goods, and with no net costs to U.S. federal budgets. Regardless of other nation's responses, this policy would increase USA's GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.

    Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nations' GDP and drag upon their numbers of jobs.

    Unlike tariffs, a USA Import Certificate policy could not be used to enable our federal government to discourage a particular foreign nations' or any enterprises' types of goods from being imported into the USA. The policy cannot effectively prevent any goods for which there's an effective USA demand, from being imported into the USA. Within Import Certificate laws, all foreign nations and all types of globally traded goods are treated equally.

    Nations' are effectively driven to respond against insulting tariffs with less or no regard even for consequences to their own economy.
    Refer to Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article.

    Respectfully Supposn

  2. #2
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    34,754
    Thanks
    29515

    From
    SWUSA
    Somebody is going to be making money off these tariffs. Money is not coming out of Donald Trump's pocket or the Chinese government's pocket.

    Either one can care less who pays for higher goods and services.

    People in China do not have a choice and America loves Trump.

    America got what it wanted.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01

  3. #3
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    28,147
    Thanks
    23361

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    Somebody is going to be making money off these tariffs.
    Actually, NO, and that's the whole reason that 93% of trained economists oppose tariffs! [The other 7% are knuckleheads and morons.] What tariffs do is this: they make the whole economic pie SMALLER. So there is LESS to divvy up. That means that the WORLD, on net, will be POORER. Trade wars are a profoundly negative-sum, lose-lose game.

    If Americans want a smaller trade deficit, there is only ONE thing they would NEED to do: they would need to SAVE more. This isn't even 'economic theory'. It is an 'accounting fact'. We have a massive trade deficit because we are a country that has been living far beyond its means, for several decades now.

    But I think less than 5% of Americans understand any of that.......Sigh.......
    Thanks from EnigmaO01

  4. #4
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    18,887
    Thanks
    2976

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Ok but there are tariffs to benefit China, and all trump is doing is keeping the playing field level.

    Reciprocal he called it...

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,986
    Thanks
    4006

    From
    AK
    Don’t Blink or You’ll Miss the Trade War

    snippets:

    Republican presidents, which Donald Trump nominally is, have been imposing trade restrictions on behalf of the steel industry since Nixon. Always and everywhere this has been a bribe to the industry and its unions at the expense of consumers and workers in other industries. It’s also a costly bribe, since it raises the price of all steel, not just domestic steel. It would be cheaper to subsidize domestic makers directly.

    ...

    A wise person doesn’t fix what isn’t broken, and Mr. Trump is quickly backing down from sweeping, indiscriminate steel and aluminum tariffs. He’s gotten the media mileage he wants out of the issue. Now throw a North Korea summit into the mix. Mr. Trump is already changing the subject. Personally, we’ll believe a summit when we see it: Kim Jong Un must know he can’t hold a candle to Mr. Trump as a media performer. If he comes and recites propaganda lines, he’ll have squandered his mystique only in the service of making himself look small and inadequate.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,175
    Thanks
    4762

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Actually, NO, and that's the whole reason that 93% of trained economists oppose tariffs! [The other 7% are knuckleheads and morons.] What tariffs do is this: they make the whole economic pie SMALLER. So there is LESS to divvy up. That means that the WORLD, on net, will be POORER. Trade wars are a profoundly negative-sum, lose-lose game.

    If Americans want a smaller trade deficit, there is only ONE thing they would NEED to do: they would need to SAVE more. This isn't even 'economic theory'. It is an 'accounting fact'. We have a massive trade deficit because we are a country that has been living far beyond its means, for several decades now.

    But I think less than 5% of Americans understand any of that.......Sigh.......
    If we want a smaller trade deficit, stop buying foreign made products. That may be hard if China is allowed to dump mountains of product on us at low prices but we can't sell products to them. They will just put us out of business. Living beyond our means is bad enough , living beyond our means on Chinese products is double bad.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly

  7. #7
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    28,147
    Thanks
    23361

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    If we want a smaller trade deficit, stop buying foreign made products. That may be hard if China is allowed to dump mountains of product on us at low prices but we can't sell products to them. They will just put us out of business. Living beyond our means is bad enough , living beyond our means on Chinese products is double bad.
    Hey, you know, I'm FINE if Americans want to launch their own personal boycotts of Chinese-made products. You are right that if we want to lower our trade deficit, we very simply need to stop buying so many foreign made products----almost inevitably, that would mean SAVING more, because America doesn't make a lot of those cheap consumer products anymore. Simply not what we have come to specialize in.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,175
    Thanks
    4762

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Hey, you know, I'm FINE if Americans want to launch their own personal boycotts of Chinese-made products. You are right that if we want to lower our trade deficit, we very simply need to stop buying so many foreign made products----almost inevitably, that would mean SAVING more, because America doesn't make a lot of those cheap consumer products anymore. Simply not what we have come to specialize in.
    If there is a market for it someone will step up and produce it. Long ago we made much of what we consumed and we exported abundantly. We allowed others to undercut us. Competition is a good thing as it forces people to produce quality at a fair price. When other countries put barriers against us then we get the short end of things.

Similar Threads

  1. China Hits Back at Trump Tariffs as Trade War Finally Arrives
    By Friday13 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 23rd March 2018, 09:47 PM
  2. Trump set to order China trade investigation
    By Think for myself in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th August 2017, 05:08 AM
  3. Definition of hypocrisy: Trump goods made in China
    By PACE in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th January 2016, 12:23 PM
  4. China tariffs on US steel: WTO rejects Beijing's appeal
    By Stefan Bandera in forum Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21st October 2012, 11:50 AM
  5. China Confronts Mounting Piles of Unsold Goods
    By michaelr in forum Economics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th August 2012, 05:25 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed