Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 149
Thanks Tree90Thanks

Thread: U.S. Borrowing Needs Are EXPLODING

  1. #21
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    40,259
    Thanks
    42200

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Oddly, I didn't hear you singing President Trump's praises when his first year added less to the National Debt than ANY year that President Obama was in office. Pardon me if I blow off you make believe concerns now.
    Obama gets blamed for the 2009 deficit from the Bush Presidency but Trump gets credit for the 2017 budget from the Obama Presidency? How hypocritical is it possible for you to be?
    Thanks from BigLeRoy, EnigmaO01 and Friday13

  2. #22
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    24,675
    Thanks
    6374

    From
    midwest
    The party in power never cares about spending...until they get voted out.

    It's always the ones OUT of power who claim to be fiscally conservative.

    Of course that changes when they get voted in...

  3. #23
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    35,969
    Thanks
    7367

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Obama gets blamed for the 2009 deficit from the Bush Presidency but Trump gets credit for the 2017 budget from the Obama Presidency? How hypocritical is it possible for you to be?
    You don't even know what you typed. Yes, Obama gets blamed for 2009. The buck stops here. And yes, Trump gets credit for 2017. There was no budget. President Obama wasn't ever able to get one passed.

  4. #24
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    28,786
    Thanks
    23931

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    You don't even know what you typed. Yes, Obama gets blamed for 2009. The buck stops here. And yes, Trump gets credit for 2017. There was no budget. President Obama wasn't ever able to get one passed.
    Old Gaffer is absolutely correct. It makes no sense whatsoever to BLAME Obama for HIS first year in office, when he inherited an absolute shit-storm, a world economy that was collapsing around our ears, the worst financial/banking/credit crisis since the Great Depression (and oh, BTW, Ben Bernanke says it was actually WORSE, with some justification), but then to give the credit for 2017 to Donald Trump when what HE inherited was a smoothly functioning economy, one that was going into the eighth year of a now nine-year-long expansion.

    Oh, but I forgot.

    Old Gaffer and I are here talking with folks who actually believe that Donald Trump reduced the unemployment rate in America from the 40% he was claiming it was in mid-2016, when he was campaigning for the Presidency, to the 4.1% he is gloating about now.

    You really believe that, don't you? From 40% unemployment to 4.1% in ONE year! He's a MIRACLE worker, by GOD!!

    Your only alternative is to believe that Donald Trump in mid-2016 was a bloviating asshole and nincompoop, an economic illiterate who had not a remote clue as to what he was talking about.

    I wonder which of those two alternatives you'll choose.

    It's a tough choice.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

  5. #25
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    28,786
    Thanks
    23931

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    The party in power never cares about spending...until they get voted out.

    It's always the ones OUT of power who claim to be fiscally conservative.

    Of course that changes when they get voted in...
    Bill Clinton, moral reprobate that he was, was a genuine fiscal conservative. When he left office at the beginning of 2001, America was in RUDE fiscal health, to an extent that shocked the world.

    And then this fellow named George came along.......

    He kind of 'screwed the pooch'. That he did.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    24,675
    Thanks
    6374

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Bill Clinton, moral reprobate that he was, was a genuine fiscal conservative. When he left office at the beginning of 2001, America was in RUDE fiscal health, to an extent that shocked the world.

    And then this fellow named George came along.......

    He kind of 'screwed the pooch'. That he did.
    Agree with that.

    Hey, it's OK if we agree occasionally, right?

  7. #27
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,984
    Thanks
    32091

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    The US needs to borrow almost $300 billion this week - Mar. 27, 2018

    Gee. I hate to say "I told you so."

    I told you so.
    Yes, you did. What should we do next, IYO?

  8. #28
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,984
    Thanks
    32091

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Thanks Obama!

    $9.3 Trillion added to the national debt.

    That's nearly half!

    And, in only 8 years!
    So, IYO, this could have been avoided? Should have been avoided?

    Are you of the opinion that the stimulus package was waste?

  9. #29
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    28,786
    Thanks
    23931

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    So, IYO, this could have been avoided? Should have been avoided?

    Are you of the opinion that the stimulus package was waste?
    In MY opinion, NO, although of course it could have been improved. But after mid-2010 or so, once the economy was out of immediate danger of falling into a deflationary abyss a la the 1930's, we should have pulled back harder on fiscal spending, and started implementing some of the recommendations of the Simpson/Bowles Commission on the National Debt. Are you familiar with that Commission, Madeline? Alan Simpson, former Republican Senator from Wyoming (a colorful guy, BTW) and Erskine Bowles, former Chief of Staff for Bill Clinton, headed the Commission, which was set up by President Obama very early in his first term. And then it all came to nothing.....A waste of time and effort, I guess.
    Thanks from bajisima and Friday13

  10. #30
    Veteran Member HenryPorter's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20,460
    Thanks
    10903

    From
    N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
    Quote Originally Posted by bigleroy View Post
    the us needs to borrow almost $300 billion this week - mar. 27, 2018

    gee. I hate to say "i told you so."

    i told you so.
    maga!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Return of the exploding oil trains
    By Miller47 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 8th March 2015, 03:01 PM
  2. US borrowing tops 100% of GDP: Treasury
    By michaelr in forum Economics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 7th August 2011, 07:58 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed