Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Thanks Tree16Thanks

Thread: Ford is killing the Taurus, Fiesta while GM kills the Sonic

  1. #1
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28352

    From
    New Hampshire

    Ford is killing the Taurus, Fiesta while GM kills the Sonic

    Trucks and SUVs sales way up. Cant say I know anyone buying passenger cars any longer.

    Both Ford and GM plan to stop making three cars for the U.S. market, as they continue to shift their focus toward popular and high-margin SUVs and trucks, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, citing sources.

    General Motors will stop making the small Chevrolet Sonic car, possibly by the end of the year, the Journal reported. Ford plans to stop selling the comparable subcompact Fiesta in the U.S. and discontinue the larger Taurus sedan, once the best-selling car in the U.S. As we have said, by 2020 trucks and utilities are going to be almost 90 percent of our volume," a Ford spokesperson told CNBC.

    The move comes as automakers increasingly revise their offerings to suit the changing tastes of American buyers, who have over the last several years increasingly favored trucks, sport utility vehicles and crossovers instead of passenger cars.

    Cases in point: the Jeep Wrangler, an SUV designed for off-road driving, just set an all-time monthly sales record, and the Lincoln Navigator, a luxury SUV costing up to $100,000, has been selling so fast Ford has had to ramp up production.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/04/gm-w...g-sources.html

  2. #2
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,684
    Thanks
    32775

    From
    Vulcan
    Last time I rented a Ford was about 9 years ago, an Escape, in NY. (Yes, I drove the Escape from New York. ) It was pretty good, to my surprise. However, years before that I drove a Ford Focus rental (my car door had been severely dented in a parking lot and needed to be replaced), and it was so horrible I replaced it with a Ford Escort, which also sucked. (At least I wasn't paying for it; the insurance company was.) I have since determined that Ford puts money and effort into its higher-end vehicles, and makes the lower-end vehicles out of cardboard and paper clips.
    Thanks from bajisima, Blues63 and EnigmaO01

  3. #3
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28352

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Last time I rented a Ford was about 9 years ago, an Escape, in NY. (Yes, I drove the Escape from New York. ) It was pretty good, to my surprise. However, years before that I drove a Ford Focus rental (my car door had been severely dented in a parking lot and needed to be replaced), and it was so horrible I replaced it with a Ford Escort, which also sucked. (At least I wasn't paying for it; the insurance company was.) I have since determined that Ford puts money and effort into its higher-end vehicles, and makes the lower-end vehicles out of cardboard and paper clips.
    I do find a lot of the small cars are similar. Ever seen the Chevy Spark? Its like riding in a tuna can. lol It even comes with daisy seat covers.

  4. #4
    Established Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks
    1158

    From
    South FL
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Trucks and SUVs sales way up. Cant say I know anyone buying passenger cars any longer.

    Both Ford and GM plan to stop making three cars for the U.S. market, as they continue to shift their focus toward popular and high-margin SUVs and trucks, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, citing sources.

    General Motors will stop making the small Chevrolet Sonic car, possibly by the end of the year, the Journal reported. Ford plans to stop selling the comparable subcompact Fiesta in the U.S. and discontinue the larger Taurus sedan, once the best-selling car in the U.S. As we have said, by 2020 trucks and utilities are going to be almost 90 percent of our volume," a Ford spokesperson told CNBC.

    The move comes as automakers increasingly revise their offerings to suit the changing tastes of American buyers, who have over the last several years increasingly favored trucks, sport utility vehicles and crossovers instead of passenger cars.

    Cases in point: the Jeep Wrangler, an SUV designed for off-road driving, just set an all-time monthly sales record, and the Lincoln Navigator, a luxury SUV costing up to $100,000, has been selling so fast Ford has had to ramp up production.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/04/gm-w...g-sources.html
    And 5 years from now something will cause gas to shoot up and they will be caught flat footed.
    Thanks from bajisima and Ian Jeffrey

  5. #5
    DEEP STATE CEO Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    9,691
    Thanks
    7124

    From
    SPECTRE HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    (Yes, I drove the Escape from New York. )
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  6. #6
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Senior Member RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11,027
    Thanks
    6709

    From
    Between everywhere
    The Republican President's gutting of Obama's planned fuel economy standards is contributing to this shift in manufacturer's focus. (No pun intended.)
    Thanks from Panzareta and HayJenn

  7. #7
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,451
    Thanks
    1479

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    The Republican President's gutting of Obama's planned fuel economy standards is contributing to this shift in manufacturer's focus. (No pun intended.)
    No, it isn't. The public was shifting toward larger vehicles long before that.

  8. #8
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    53,876
    Thanks
    41555

    From
    CA
    I drove a van for 20 years because of my kids. So sick of driving a big car!!!

    I recently HAD to trade in my VW Wagon because of the emission scandal. Not too bad - am going to get 20K for it

    So I went ahead and bought the gas version of the same . Love it too - has a lot of power and enough space for 4 people and a pretty good cargo area.

    I'm sure "American" cars are better than they were 30 years ago. But I had so much trouble with both my vans, not one problem with my VW except a battery.

    And how stupid (IMO) to pay 100K for car.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  9. #9
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    53,876
    Thanks
    41555

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    The Republican President's gutting of Obama's planned fuel economy standards is contributing to this shift in manufacturer's focus. (No pun intended.)
    Yeah, that sucks

    CA is already talking about suing - again.

    I mean who needs clean air right?
    Thanks from Panzareta and EnigmaO01

  10. #10
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,684
    Thanks
    32775

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Ever seen the Chevy Spark? Its like riding in a tuna can. lol
    Yep. An ex-partner of mine (the "good" ex-partner) has one that she bought new only a few years ago, and I've ridden in it several times. Talk about tiny, compared by my 17-year-old Honda Accord (which I still really like).
    Thanks from bajisima

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 133
    Last Post: 13th April 2017, 04:52 PM
  2. Sonic & Chili's announce NO-gun polices
    By Michele in forum Current Events
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 3rd June 2014, 07:55 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14th July 2011, 06:39 PM
  4. Super-sonic Detonation Caused The Crash Of Twa Flight 800
    By michaelr in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22nd July 2008, 06:31 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed