Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 78
Thanks Tree58Thanks

Thread: The restaurant industry ran a private poll on the minimum wage...

  1. #11
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,966
    Thanks
    34526

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    What makes West Coast restaurant owners such superior businesspersons that they can successfully pay their employees the full minimum wage and not only keep their restaurants open but still make a profit?

    Perhaps it's because the vast majority of their customer base makes more than minimum wage? I don't know. It's just a guess.
    Thanks from boontito

  2. #12
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    93,963
    Thanks
    71165

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Perhaps it's because the vast majority of their customer base makes more than minimum wage? I don't know. It's just a guess.
    Hmm... maybe. I don't know... I like the superior businessperson angle.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  3. #13
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44,686
    Thanks
    26897

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here, but this is another case where I'm at a disadvantage based on region. Washington State has the same minimum wage whether the employee is in a tipped or untipped position. In fact, so does Oregon and I believe California too. I've lived in different places out here but don't believe I've ever lived in a locale where the minimum wage is in the $2 range plus tips. Even when the employee is required to be guaranteed to make at least the minimum wage when wage + tip is included, that just seems weird.

    I feel like the restaurant doing that should post a sign at the entrance noting that "Tipping is encouraged as a way to support our failed business model."
    The west coast is definitely different on this subject as all northwestern states and CA mandate that servers make the same min wage as anyone else. Here in New England they get paid $2.13 an hour if they get tips. Its always struck me as nasty, but I didnt really understood it until I moved here. The term "Frugal Yankee" takes on special meaning when you hear somebody with that strong New England accent yelling at their server, "if you had a better education, you wouldnt have to work here." New Englanders are the biggest cheapskates ever.

    You can see on the chart the differences.

    https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
    Thanks from boontito and Ian Jeffrey

  4. #14
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44,686
    Thanks
    26897

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    What makes West Coast restaurant owners such superior businesspersons that they can successfully pay their employees the full minimum wage and not only keep their restaurants open but still make a profit?
    Desire for everyone to succeed as your area has always been a haven for newcomers, youth and those eager to succeed. Basically they left here because they couldnt stand hearing over and over again that their relatives were the "original settler that came on the Mayflower." New England has that old fashioned "you either inherited it or you dont have it" mentality.
    Thanks from boontito and Babba

  5. #15
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    93,963
    Thanks
    71165

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    The west coast is definitely different on this subject as all northwestern states and CA mandate that servers make the same min wage as anyone else. Here in New England they get paid $2.13 an hour if they get tips. Its always struck me as nasty, but I didnt really understood it until I moved here. The term "Frugal Yankee" takes on special meaning when you hear somebody with that strong New England accent yelling at their server, "if you had a better education, you wouldnt have to work here." New Englanders are the biggest cheapskates ever.

    You can see on the chart the differences.

    https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
    Yeah, that's the chart I looked at. It was kind of stunning. Growing up out here, I'd assumed that most states were like this and that there may be a few here and there that allow for below minimum wage salaries. I was a little shocked to see that it's almost everyone else. You might be selling you frugal yankees a little short though. From that chart it looks like the south and then back across the lower Midwest are a little more cheap than you guys.
    Thanks from bajisima

  6. #16
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,966
    Thanks
    34526

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    Yeah, that's the chart I looked at. It was kind of stunning. Growing up out here, I'd assumed that most states were like this and that there may be a few here and there that allow for below minimum wage salaries. I was a little shocked to see that it's almost everyone else. You might be selling you frugal yankees a little short though. From that chart it looks like the south and then back across the lower Midwest are a little more cheap than you guys.

    I wouldn't be so quick to attribute to inherent frugality that which can be adequately explained by widespread poverty.

  7. #17
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    93,963
    Thanks
    71165

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to attribute to inherent frugality that which can be adequately explained by widespread poverty.
    Fair point.

  8. #18
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44,686
    Thanks
    26897

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to attribute to inherent frugality that which can be adequately explained by widespread poverty.
    Well poverty is a huge issue up here as well. Read an interesting article a bit back about Appalachian poverty which included all of the Appalachian mtns up to the Canadian border. Many northern communities that relied on the paper mill industry and logging are just as poverty stricken as coal country. Which is made worse when just an hour east there is enormous wealth. Its becoming much worse here in New England recently as housing prices are exploding and income inequality is worsened.

  9. #19
    Retired Admin Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    86,637
    Thanks
    23682

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    What makes West Coast restaurant owners such superior businesspersons that they can successfully pay their employees the full minimum wage and not only keep their restaurants open but still make a profit?
    As a result of Oakland's minimum wage increase:
    • Forty seven percent of businesses surveyed said they’ve already raised prices to help cover the added cost.
    • Thirty percent of the businesses surveyed said they’ve cut their hours or employee hours in response the increase.
    • About one in six businesses—17 percent—laid off employees or reduced staffing levels to cover the costs of the mandate.
    What happens when a city raises its minimum wage 36%? | National Restaurant Association

  10. #20
    Retired Admin Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    86,637
    Thanks
    23682

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to attribute to inherent frugality that which can be adequately explained by widespread poverty.
    Said poverty isn't caused by under-employment. It's caused by unemployment.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Singling out one industry for minimum wage hike?
    By Amelia in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 23rd July 2015, 11:44 AM
  2. What about the minimum wage?
    By Cicero in forum Current Events
    Replies: 288
    Last Post: 6th November 2014, 09:08 AM
  3. How's the Minimum Wage Going?
    By aboutenough in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 13th September 2014, 08:15 AM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 27th April 2014, 03:20 PM
  5. Minimum wage.
    By Supposn in forum Economics
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 30th April 2013, 09:19 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed