Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 78
Thanks Tree58Thanks

Thread: The restaurant industry ran a private poll on the minimum wage...

  1. #61
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    50,607
    Thanks
    15579

    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Ms. Labrea,

    Not budget constraints, but rather, I already paid their minimum wage increase, so they don't need a tip from me.
    cheapskate
    Thanks from labrea

  2. #62
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15,457
    Thanks
    4150

    From
    Boise, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrary View Post
    A living wage would need to be determined by a more localized cost of living....federal is too broad.

    Servers make more than min wage and this fight is being sold as seeking more money for servers, it isnt, its a pay cut and will harm small mom and pop places but benefit large chains. An employer will now get our tips and dole them out AS THEY SEE FIT..which can mean they pocket it all.

    BTW, if I earn 15 per hour no matter what...why would I ever want to work a friday or sat night? I would rather do a tues night and get the same money for less work.
    Your observations are mere annoyances/inconveniences to the people behind such things as the "Fight For $15" campaign. They would ask that you kindly shut up with your naysaying and critical thinking. They have a movement to agitate. Don't get in their way.

    https://fightfor15.org/

    This thing is shady. Really shady. So many people gullibly fall for it, thinking it could only ever have positive effects on "the working man" and make all those evil greedy rich bosses finally pay up. This propaganda never shuts up.

  3. #63
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    50,607
    Thanks
    15579

    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Ms. Labrea,

    The increase in minimum wage here in Oakland has done little to affect me. For example, last fall, the breakfast sandwich I got this morning was $4.65. I would give the casher a $5 bill, and leave the change in the tip jar. Today, the same sandwich is $5. Now I just give the casher a $5 bill, just like before.
    I hope it tastes good, they see you coming and spit in your sandwich.

  4. #64
    Veteran Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14,009
    Thanks
    12637

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    I simply don't believe it. Some restaurants where I live a decent dinner for two is $150 and waiters are making $400-$700 a night easy. Do you think people are cheap with their tips there because they know the waiter makes a killing? No of course not. Do you think if they made $15 hr everyone would tip less? Of course not, 99% of customers have no idea what the waiter makes by the hour.
    I have to disagree...the reason people tip is because they know thats what servers get paid, as their hourly pay is next to nothing. ALSO, if we remove tips and double the hourly rate that means the restaurant will charge more to cover that massive payroll increase....that service charge will be anywhere from 10% to 25%, people will assume thats going to the server, it wont. The owners will keep it to cover the new "labor costs".
    Thanks from bajisima

  5. #65
    Veteran Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14,009
    Thanks
    12637

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Your observations are mere annoyances/inconveniences to the people behind such things as the "Fight For $15" campaign. They would ask that you kindly shut up with your naysaying and critical thinking. They have a movement to agitate. Don't get in their way.

    https://fightfor15.org/

    This thing is shady. Really shady. So many people gullibly fall for it, thinking it could only ever have positive effects on "the working man" and make all those evil greedy rich bosses finally pay up. This propaganda never shuts up.
    Ironnically, this will shift more control and money to the owners at the expense of the servers!

    If this goes through, there is no point in me doing this job anymore....I will be forced to quit which is too bad, as it is now, its good money and I LIKE the job.

    A pay cut while still having to work evenings and weekends....no way. They will have most of us at 20 hours per week at best and the restaurant hours are hard to work a second job around.

    I picked up a shift from another server...I will work my scheduled sat day shift and I will work her night shift too....a double. Its brutal and tiring BUT I make such good money its worth it....not a chance in hell would I do that for $15 an hour. I will most likely look to pick up a shift for friday too so I end up with two doubles...I have done this many times....done nothing but work from morn til night on fri, sat and sunday. 6 physical shifts back to back in 3 days...I do it to challenge myself and for the money, ....the challenge alone isnt enough incentive for me!

    No one can tell me this pay cut is for my benefit.....I dont know of any actual server around here who supports this!

    We support the tip credit system thats currently in place, leave it alone!
    Thanks from bajisima

  6. #66
    Veteran Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14,009
    Thanks
    12637

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    I hope it tastes good, they see you coming and spit in your sandwich.

    Nah, people like that dont deserve anything more than a transaction, let it go...give them no energy.

    I find that 95% of people are just wonderful and as generous as they can be.

    One thing coming back from sweden and working a job like this reminded me of....I love my fellow americans! Its easy to forget how awesome we are if we judge the populace by this or any other message board or media outlets...when you just mix with people face to face, you will find how good americans really are.

    We gotta stop hating each other so much, we are being goaded.....
    Thanks from bajisima

  7. #67
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15,457
    Thanks
    4150

    From
    Boise, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrary View Post
    Ironnically, this will shift more control and money to the owners at the expense of the servers!

    If this goes through, there is no point in me doing this job anymore....I will be forced to quit which is too bad, as it is now, its good money and I LIKE the job.

    A pay cut while still having to work evenings and weekends....no way. They will have most of us at 20 hours per week at best and the restaurant hours are hard to work a second job around.

    I picked up a shift from another server...I will work my scheduled sat day shift and I will work her night shift too....a double. Its brutal and tiring BUT I make such good money its worth it....not a chance in hell would I do that for $15 an hour. I will most likely look to pick up a shift for friday too so I end up with two doubles...I have done this many times....done nothing but work from morn til night on fri, sat and sunday. 6 physical shifts back to back in 3 days...I do it to challenge myself and for the money, ....the challenge alone isnt enough incentive for me!

    No one can tell me this pay cut is for my benefit.....I dont know of any actual server around here who supports this!

    We support the tip credit system thats currently in place, leave it alone!
    But itís for for the greater good Kontrary!

  8. #68
    Veteran Member ptif219's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    68,911
    Thanks
    4498

    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    fucking bullshit. I travel the country regularly and tip the same anywhere I go regardless of what the waiters minimum wage is and so does 99% of others. To say people tip differently because of the minimum wage is plain fucking stupid.

    How about you Boon, I tip minimum 15% for shitty service and 20+ for good service do you tip 5% because waiters in your area have a respectable minimum wage?
    If food service people made a decent wage instead of a couple dollars an hour you would not need to tip

  9. #69
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    96,487
    Thanks
    74909

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    fucking bullshit. I travel the country regularly and tip the same anywhere I go regardless of what the waiters minimum wage is and so does 99% of others. To say people tip differently because of the minimum wage is plain fucking stupid.

    How about you Boon, I tip minimum 15% for shitty service and 20+ for good service do you tip 5% because waiters in your area have a respectable minimum wage?
    Yeah, traveled all over this country. I don't tip differently depending on location. Friendly service gets over and above, good service a more average level, and outright bad service which I've had very rarely may get a little below average.

    The point is, I don't have some chart folded up in my wallet that tells me who makes what minimum wage in different states and also which states allow for below minimum wage rates of pay if tips are accepted. That's ridiculous.

  10. #70
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    36,026
    Thanks
    28655

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Ms. Labrea,

    Not budget constraints, but rather, I already paid their minimum wage increase, so they don't need a tip from me.
    You do realize that the IRS assumes a certain percent of receipts is paid in tips, right?

    Apparently you want wait staff to pay tax on tips you dont pay.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Singling out one industry for minimum wage hike?
    By Amelia in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 23rd July 2015, 11:44 AM
  2. What about the minimum wage?
    By Cicero in forum Current Events
    Replies: 288
    Last Post: 6th November 2014, 09:08 AM
  3. How's the Minimum Wage Going?
    By aboutenough in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 13th September 2014, 08:15 AM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 27th April 2014, 03:20 PM
  5. Minimum wage.
    By Supposn in forum Economics
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 30th April 2013, 09:19 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed