Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 140
Thanks Tree44Thanks

Thread: US Auto Sales Continue To Decline Under Trump

  1. #11
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,266
    Thanks
    503

    From
    Barsoom
    How is 2.4% inflation rate and 4.5% interest rate negatively affecting the automobile industry?
    Thanks from Rev. Hellh0und

  2. #12
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    51,636
    Thanks
    39667

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Millennials are not much interested in buying cars at all. I'm a retiring Baby Boomer who has ZERO interest in buying a truck or SUV. I have a five year old Chevy Cruze with barely 11,000 miles on it, and I will probably never need to buy another car again. Shrug. The car companies are in trouble. They are in need of an entirely new business model, which is why many of them are pumping billions into driverless cars and electric cars.
    Well if you like your Cruze, you better hold on to it.

    General Motors is cutting as many as 1,500 jobs at its massive Lordstown, Ohio, assembly plant, taking a factory that was working around the clock as recently as 2016 down to a single shift a day.

    The problem is lack of demand for the Chevrolet Cruze, the small car that GM builds at the plant. Sales of the Cruze slid more than 30% between 2014 and 2017, as the market shifted strongly away from small cars to SUVs. Cruze sales have plunged another 26% in the first three months of this year.

    GM has also started building a hatchback version of the Cruze at a plant in Mexico, while the Lordstown plant builds only a sedan version. The hatchback accounts for less than 20% of its US sales of the Cruze.

    GM cutting 1,500 jobs at Ohio plant amid falling demand for small cars

    GM had previously cut another 1,500 jobs as well in Detroit

    General Motors plans to scale back production at an assembly plant in Detroit and lay off about 1,500 workers as the company contends with a continued decline in sedan sales, according to a source familiar with the plan.

    The No. 1 U.S. carmaker plans to shut the Detroit-Hamtramck factory for about six weeks from mid-November and cut production by roughly 20% once operations resume, the source said.

    The Hamtramck plant makes four sedan models that have not been performing well. They include the Buick LaCrosse, sales of which are down 21.5% year to date, and the Chevrolet Impala, which is down 31.8%

    GM Is Laying Off 1,500 Workers at a Plant in Detroit | Fortune
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  3. #13
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    31,249
    Thanks
    26429

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Well if you like your Cruze, you better hold on to it.

    General Motors is cutting as many as 1,500 jobs at its massive Lordstown, Ohio, assembly plant, taking a factory that was working around the clock as recently as 2016 down to a single shift a day.

    The problem is lack of demand for the Chevrolet Cruze, the small car that GM builds at the plant. Sales of the Cruze slid more than 30% between 2014 and 2017, as the market shifted strongly away from small cars to SUVs. Cruze sales have plunged another 26% in the first three months of this year.

    GM has also started building a hatchback version of the Cruze at a plant in Mexico, while the Lordstown plant builds only a sedan version. The hatchback accounts for less than 20% of its US sales of the Cruze.

    GM cutting 1,500 jobs at Ohio plant amid falling demand for small cars

    GM had previously cut another 1,500 jobs as well in Detroit

    General Motors plans to scale back production at an assembly plant in Detroit and lay off about 1,500 workers as the company contends with a continued decline in sedan sales, according to a source familiar with the plan.

    The No. 1 U.S. carmaker plans to shut the Detroit-Hamtramck factory for about six weeks from mid-November and cut production by roughly 20% once operations resume, the source said.

    The Hamtramck plant makes four sedan models that have not been performing well. They include the Buick LaCrosse, sales of which are down 21.5% year to date, and the Chevrolet Impala, which is down 31.8%

    GM Is Laying Off 1,500 Workers at a Plant in Detroit | Fortune
    Oh, I'm DEFINITELY hanging on to it. It's paid off, only 11k miles on it, I drive only about 80 miles a month, that will probably fall to 50 miles a month in retirement, which starts in about a month here, I don't need to impress anyone with what I'm driving around in, and I have had next to zero maintenance costs on it. It's an ECO model, too, so gets excellent mileage. I'll only need to fill my tank maybe twice a year! If that!
    Thanks from HayJenn

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,821
    Thanks
    12851

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Oh, I'm DEFINITELY hanging on to it. It's paid off, only 11k miles on it, I drive only about 80 miles a month, that will probably fall to 50 miles a month in retirement, which starts in about a month here, I don't need to impress anyone with what I'm driving around in, and I have had next to zero maintenance costs on it. It's an ECO model, too, so gets excellent mileage. I'll only need to fill my tank maybe twice a year! If that!
    Solid car and boring as hell.


    If you are going such a short distance and very rarely use it, then drive something that turns heads. Buy something vintage like an old Bentley or a Pimps Cadillac (purple if you really want them to see you coming). Bet you that you make money on selling the Cruz and getting a huge luxury car instead. If you’re only driving 50 miles a month who cares about the gas and if you get an old model you can take off the collusion insurance. Those gas guzzlers that use to sell for top dollar you can buy for a fraction of the price with low mileage because nobody wanted to fill the damn things up and drive them more than 15 minutes at a time.
    Last edited by Eve1; 2nd May 2018 at 11:42 AM.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and Rev. Hellh0und

  5. #15
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    31,249
    Thanks
    26429

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Solid car and boring as hell.
    Ha. So I've been told.......A 'babe magnet' it definitely is NOT.
    Thanks from HayJenn

  6. #16
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    51,636
    Thanks
    39667

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Oh, I'm DEFINITELY hanging on to it. It's paid off, only 11k miles on it, I drive only about 80 miles a month, that will probably fall to 50 miles a month in retirement, which starts in about a month here, I don't need to impress anyone with what I'm driving around in, and I have had next to zero maintenance costs on it. It's an ECO model, too, so gets excellent mileage. I'll only need to fill my tank maybe twice a year! If that!
    Yeah, the only reason I bought a new car was because I HAD to (the VW emission thing). Had it 9 years with only 32,000 miles. I would of driven it at least 3 more years. Good thing I got the new car for about 3K (we had already saved up for it).

    Twice a year? That's awesome. I maybe had to do that like 8 times a years because I got really good mileage as well.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,821
    Thanks
    12851

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Ha. So I've been told.......A 'babe magnet' it definitely is NOT.
    Babe magnet

    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Code1=BENTURBO

  8. #18
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    31,249
    Thanks
    26429

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    I'm not exactly clear on why that car would be a 'babe magnet'.

    I'm reminded of a rather rude and lewd blonde joke.

    Q: Why do blondes prefer tilt steering wheels?












    A: More head room.

  9. #19
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,821
    Thanks
    12851

    From
    My own world
    Hmmm.....

  10. #20
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,821
    Thanks
    12851

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I'm not exactly clear on why that car would be a 'babe magnet'.

    I'm reminded of a rather rude and lewd blonde joke.

    Q: Why do blondes prefer tilt steering wheels?












    A: More head room.



    Because brand new it’s over $100,000 and it screams I have money to burn.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Two more lawyers decline to join Trump legal team
    By Think for myself in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th March 2018, 06:24 AM
  2. New Record For Auto Sales
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 12th January 2016, 06:05 PM
  3. Replies: 123
    Last Post: 2nd May 2015, 08:33 PM
  4. GM Ramps Up Risky Subprime Auto Loans To Drive Sales
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th July 2012, 05:54 PM
  5. August Auto Sales defy consumer caution
    By bonncaruso in forum Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd September 2011, 06:32 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed