Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
Thanks Tree7Thanks

Thread: Amazon halts Seattle expansion over city tax proposal

  1. #21
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15,339
    Thanks
    4096

    From
    Boise, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    I read it, your usual Objectivist bullshit.
    And now you’ve diverted to Ayn Rand. Worthless.

  2. #22
    Established Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks
    1158

    From
    South FL
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    A head tax is probably one of the worst ways to do this. I would rather see a tax on the wealthy or an overall increase in income taxes. Some cities use city taxes based on money the company makes. A head tax is just going to make companies keep headcount low or move them elsewhere. Mayor of Boston now is saying Amazon can come there and make it their new HQ instead of an East coast one over this. Its horribly unpopular.
    How is this not a backdoor income tax?

    NYC has a municipal income tax and so too does Yonkers, so I'm not saying its impossible to do, but Seattle still needs to be 'allowed' to make the levy under state law. I have no odea if that is an option under WA state law.

  3. #23
    Established Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks
    1158

    From
    South FL
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Small companies are now slamming this tax in Seattle. Some are going to move outside the city and others are refusing to hire new people. Several governors and mayors are now saying "come here instead."

    https://www.king5.com/video/news/loc...ax/281-8128439
    Starbucks slams Seattle's new big business tax
    Why small ones? This seems to be targetting relatively largw companies, no?

  4. #24
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28363

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    Why small ones? This seems to be targetting relatively largw companies, no?
    Maybe but apparently its all companies regardless of size. Just saw some fast food managers on the business channel and they all said to expect to see a reduced headcount and more kiosks and self checkouts. Really not smart. Will probably end up hurting the lower income people the hardest.

  5. #25
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28363

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    How is this not a backdoor income tax?

    NYC has a municipal income tax and so too does Yonkers, so I'm not saying its impossible to do, but Seattle still needs to be 'allowed' to make the levy under state law. I have no odea if that is an option under WA state law.
    Theoretically I suppose it could be. But the way its done isnt. An overall percentage tax is a typical tax where whether you have a thousand workers or 10 the tax is based off of either property or value. This is just a flat fee per head, every head from the janitor to the CEO if they work in Seattle.

  6. #26
    Established Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks
    1158

    From
    South FL
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Maybe but apparently its all companies regardless of size. Just saw some fast food managers on the business channel and they all said to expect to see a reduced headcount and more kiosks and self checkouts. Really not smart. Will probably end up hurting the lower income people the hardest.
    I am seeing a rewuirement that the business meeds to gross $20mn.

  7. #27
    Established Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks
    1158

    From
    South FL
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Theoretically I suppose it could be. But the way its done isnt. An overall percentage tax is a typical tax where whether you have a thousand workers or 10 the tax is based off of either property or value. This is just a flat fee per head, every head from the janitor to the CEO if they work in Seattle.
    I read it as a flat tax, per head, per hour.

    'For a company that hits the $20 million threshold, the proposed tax applies to all of its Seattle employees at a rate of 26 cents per hour for 2019 and 2020, capped at $500 a year.'

    They passed a sxaled down version of that so perhaps that changed?
    Last edited by publius3; 15th May 2018 at 01:17 PM.

  8. #28
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28363

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    I am seeing a rewuirement that the business meeds to gross $20mn.
    Possible but wouldnt that still be a lot of businesses? I know the drive in owner I linked above is beginning a social media campaign against this and the city. Its possible they are that profitable but I dont know. Does it affect like franchises as well?

  9. #29
    Established Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks
    1158

    From
    South FL
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Possible but wouldnt that still be a lot of businesses? I know the drive in owner I linked above is beginning a social media campaign against this and the city. Its possible they are that profitable but I dont know. Does it affect like franchises as well?
    I read its 580+/- businesses. That's many businesses but you'd be surprised how many small businesses there are.

    NJ has 820,000+ 'small businesses' now I am not sire how many are within Seattle's city limits of course but I am sure there are much more than 580, that's for sure.
    Last edited by publius3; 15th May 2018 at 01:26 PM.

  10. #30
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28363

    From
    New Hampshire
    Thanks from Neomalthusian

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th October 2017, 11:14 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th October 2014, 09:39 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14th October 2014, 12:32 PM
  4. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 16th November 2013, 07:09 PM
  5. Judge Halts New York City Soda Ban
    By lka in forum Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11th March 2013, 10:33 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed