Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42
Thanks Tree23Thanks

Thread: President Trump's Tariffs

  1. #31
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,261
    Thanks
    2170

    From
    Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
    Galatin, I don't understand why you quoted a post unrelated to the sub-topic you're responding to? As you see,regarding this facet of the topic we were and are in complete agreement.
    Respectfully, Supposn
    Supposn, what I was trying to do was to give a practical example of an approach to export American producers have not. Export would be the solution for the US in order to have a better commercial balance. Adn it is why I gaive you an example about my countray Switzerland and how a very small country can export proportionally even more than Germany having no natural resources. And even if we would be ready to move our production in the US, it would not work, because the industrial tissuer is not adjusted to implement what seems important for us, i.e. to make a very good margin on sophisiticated industrial products, But you cannot just decide to produce such items.For that you need a special industrial tissue first. It is a specialized Manpower for example. But that does not fall from Heaven. You have to have facilities to train people form a very young age, to accept to invest on the long term and to know what your customers want. And when it comes to export most American companies outside the very high tech are not ready to adjust to what foreign consumers want. The result is that American products are not very present abroad. And it is not a question of unfair competition using low wages to manufacture at a lower price which makes impossible to export American products. It is more a question of specialization. No country can be good for everything and the focus must be put on what you do best. It is why I do not Believe in tariffs because they will never bring any solution on the long run. It is through performance and sophistication that you are able to realyl compete.
    Thanks from bonehead

  2. #32
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    59

    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    and, if a trade war ensues, what will be long and short term effects?
    Bonehead,despite our seeking a free trade policy, we've always been in a“trade war”, but we very seldom attempted to defend ourselves and our seldom defensive efforts were rarely successful.


    Ratherthan protecting ourselves, we should continue practices that are detrimental to our own economy, because otherwise it may upset other nations and they will increase the severity of their practices that currently undermine our nation's global trade?


    Respectfully, Supposn

  3. #33
    Veteran Member bonehead's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    15,434
    Thanks
    5761

    From
    south
    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    Supposn, what I was trying to do was to give a practical example of an approach to export American producers have not. Export would be the solution for the US in order to have a better commercial balance. Adn it is why I gaive you an example about my countray Switzerland and how a very small country can export proportionally even more than Germany having no natural resources. And even if we would be ready to move our production in the US, it would not work, because the industrial tissuer is not adjusted to implement what seems important for us, i.e. to make a very good margin on sophisiticated industrial products, But you cannot just decide to produce such items.For that you need a special industrial tissue first. It is a specialized Manpower for example. But that does not fall from Heaven. You have to have facilities to train people form a very young age, to accept to invest on the long term and to know what your customers want. And when it comes to export most American companies outside the very high tech are not ready to adjust to what foreign consumers want. The result is that American products are not very present abroad. And it is not a question of unfair competition using low wages to manufacture at a lower price which makes impossible to export American products. It is more a question of specialization. No country can be good for everything and the focus must be put on what you do best. It is why I do not Believe in tariffs because they will never bring any solution on the long run. It is through performance and sophistication that you are able to realyl compete.
    and that has been our "Achilles heel" for decades. investment requires a lot of money over a long period of time - without a short term profit realization. most American businesses - and certainly not government - is willing to sacrifice short term profits for a long term improvement. we are terribly short-sighted, and it hurts us in the long term.

  4. #34
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    59

    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    Supposn, what I was trying to do was to give a practical example of an approach to export American producers have not. Export would be the solution for the US in order to have a better commercial balance. Adn it is why I gaive you an example about my countray Switzerland and how a very small country can export proportionally even more than Germany having no natural resources. And even if we would be ready to move our production in the US, it would not work, because the industrial tissuer is not adjusted to implement what seems important for us, i.e. to make a very good margin on sophisiticated industrial products, But you cannot just decide to produce such items.For that you need a special industrial tissue first. It is a specialized Manpower for example. But that does not fall from Heaven. You have to have facilities to train people form a very young age, to accept to invest on the long term and to know what your customers want. And when it comes to export most American companies outside the very high tech are not ready to adjust to what foreign consumers want. The result is that American products are not very present abroad. And it is not a question of unfair competition using low wages to manufacture at a lower price which makes impossible to export American products. It is more a question of specialization.

    No country can be good for everything and the focus must be put on what you do best. It is why I do not Believe in tariffs because they will never bring any solution on the long run. It is through performance and sophistication that you are able to realyl compete.

    I'm among the proponent of the improved policy described by Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article which we contend to be superior to free trade or tariff policy.
    I do not doubt your explanation, that the USA cannot produce the items your enterprise exports into the USA because we lack the “special industrial tissue” and “specialized manpower” to do so.

    Both tariffs or Import Certificate policy do not argue with what's technically or financially unfeasible or unmarketable.
    Even if the USA could produce items such as you describe, if domestic production is not net profitable, we would continue importing those products to satisfy our domestic effective demands for them.

    What's your point? What problem are you referring to when you post "It is why I do not Believe in tariffs because they will never bring any solution on the long run"? If the trade policy cannot bring about a solution, It's a proposed remedy untill the problem is satisfactorilly resolved.

    The proponents of the policy changes do claim them to eventually bring about the solutions. I certainly believe that's the case for Import Certificates.

    Respectfully, Supposn

  5. #35
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11,618
    Thanks
    7127

    From
    Between everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueneck View Post
    So you raise the price of steel and aluminum, which makes cars more expensive in an effort to sell more cars overseas.

    I really don't get how that is supposed to work.
    Obviously the Republican President still hasn't discovered how complicated international trade is. When one asks "who knew" the answer would be not him.

  6. #36
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,261
    Thanks
    2170

    From
    Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
    I'm among the proponent of the improved policy described by Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article which we contend to be superior to free trade or tariff policy.
    I do not doubt your explanation, that the USA cannot produce the items your enterprise exports into the USA because we lack the “special industrial tissue” and “specialized manpower” to do so.

    Both tariffs or Import Certificate policy do not argue with what's technically or financially unfeasible or unmarketable.
    Even if the USA could produce items such as you describe, if domestic production is not net profitable, we would continue importing those products to satisfy our domestic effective demands for them.

    What's your point? What problem are you referring to when you post "It is why I do not Believe in tariffs because they will never bring any solution on the long run"? If the trade policy cannot bring about a solution, It's a proposed remedy untill the problem is satisfactorilly resolved.

    The proponents of the policy changes do claim them to eventually bring about the solutions. I certainly believe that's the case for Import Certificates.

    Respectfully, Supposn
    Yes but your import certificates will just give a bonus to laziness on the side of American producers…. You better have to address the structural problems which are mainly educational ones, how to invest on the long run etc.… You cannot hope that the Chinese will accept to remain tomanufacture massproduced goods with little technology and for them a limited margin…. The real question is about performance and if the middle class is fading away in the US, it comes also from the fact thatemployees get low wages… If wages were higher the US would compete differently and would be not whining about cheap imports but would develop industrial products with more know how. Why do you think I am never buying an American car when my grandfather had at least 5 ? And the US dollar was at that time about Swissfranc 4.30 agaisnt 1 to one actually ?

  7. #37
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    59

    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    Yes but your import certificates will just give a bonus to laziness on the side of American producers…. You better have to address the structural problems which are mainly educational ones, how to invest on the long run etc.… You cannot hope that the Chinese will accept to remain to manufacture mass-produced goods with little technology and for them a limited margin…. The real question is about performance and if the middle class is fading away in the US, it comes also from the fact that employees get low wages… If wages were higher the US would compete differently and would be not whining about cheap imports but would develop industrial products with more know how. Why do you think I am never buying an American car when my grandfather had at least 5? And the US dollar was at that time about Swiss franc 4.30 against 1 to one actually?
    Galatin, the certificates would be an indirect but effective subsidy of USA's exported goods. Competitive pressures from other exporters of USA goods is expected to induce foreign purchasers of USA exports to demand and receive lower prices for the USA exported goods they're offered.

    We all should do what we perceive is in our own best interests. I'm not trying to sell you a car. But if the USA adopted this Import Certificate policy, it may, or may not be to your own best interest to choose the USA rather than another nation's car. USA's changing our global trade policies, would to some extent change the economies of the USA and of our trade relationships with other nations.
    Regardless of international reactions, USA's adoption of this Import Certificate policy would increase USA's GDP, domestic production and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.

    Respectfully, Supposn
    Last edited by Supposn; 2nd June 2018 at 12:02 PM.

  8. #38
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,261
    Thanks
    2170

    From
    Switzerland
    But you seem to consider the USA being in a Bubble…. you cannot hope to put tariffs on imported goods without provoking reactions from exporting countries with custom duties etc.… And as I told you long ago your sytem is not different from clearing sytems of the 1930ties which led to increasing crisis..

  9. #39
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    59

    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    But you seem to consider the USA being in a Bubble…. you cannot hope to put tariffs on imported goods without provoking reactions from exporting countries with custom duties etc.… And as I told you long ago your sytem is not different from clearing sytems of the 1930ties which led to increasing crisis..
    Galatin, negative reactions are anticipated, but regardless of international reactions, USA's adoption of this Import Certificate policy would increase USA's GDP, domestic production and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.

    Unlike tariffs, the additions to consumer prices of imported goods beyond government's trade policy's expenses, are entirely determined by markets. The differences between what government's fees to exporters of their nation's goods, and the additional costs to consumers are essentually whatever price subsidy there is for the nation's exported goods.

    Import Certificate policy's affects upon consumers is substantially more market rather than government driven.

    I do not believe the great global depression of the 1930's was caused by tariffs but I don't pretend to know what was it's cause.

    What caused Holland's “Tulip Madness”, or the “First World War”? The First War was then known as the “Great War” or The World War” because no one could contemplate such madness occurring for a second time).
    It's generally believed and I agree, the Second War in Europe was due to the allies insisting that Germany should be financially punished for the First World War.

    Respectfully, Supposn

  10. #40
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,261
    Thanks
    2170

    From
    Switzerland
    Your import certificate projects is nothing else than a method which aims to balance imports and exports. It will reduce trade and growth anyway. You are blind about performance which is what really is at stake. What the US need is to give up the idea of exceptionalism and uniqueness and to address as the others do economical problems as they are. I.e. that like any other nations the US cannot manufacture everything and should focus on what they are gifted for and give up the rest. It means perhaps to develop other structures in education, training etc... But the US have all means to do it, they are just prisoner of their own myths and not ready to adjust to the mutations on the go in the world. Trying to freeze mutations is like trying to stop the tide, it is imposiible.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th April 2018, 08:19 AM
  2. Trump’s Tariffs Hit Home in the U.S.
    By Friday13 in forum Economics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th April 2018, 12:44 AM
  3. Think twice about tariffs, President Trump.
    By HadEnough2 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 24th March 2018, 06:09 AM
  4. Trump wants to impose reciprocal tariffs
    By Friday13 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th March 2018, 12:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st December 2016, 07:30 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed