Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
Thanks Tree23Thanks

Thread: President Trump's Tariffs

  1. #1
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    56

    President Trump's Tariffs

    President Trump's Tariffs:

    I did not vote for a Democrat or a Republican 2017 presidential candidate or for their electoral college supporters. I indicated my rejection by voting for less than electable 3d party candidate, to demonstrate my opposition to the declared policies of both major parties and their candidates.

    I am not among those that squandered their votes in favor of candidates for which they had no confidence. I was particularly opposed to Donald Trump. Although I certainly wish our president well, President Trump's administration has not earned my confidence.

    I'm among the proponent of the improved policy described by Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It is superior to free trade or tariff policy. It would very significantly reduce, if not entirely eliminate USA's chronic annual trade deficits in a manner that would increase USA's domestic production and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.

    We suppose Trump's tariffs on aluminum and steel will not do so, but the tariffs limitations would rather reduce our net production and numbers of jobs more than otherwise. If USA taxes imported aluminum and steel, it's preferable that we tax all USA imports, from all nations to the extents their shipments to us contain aluminum or steel.

    It's not logical to “protect” USA steel mills but leave their USA customers at disadvantage to imports using cheaper foreign steel, and USA's trade laws should not be judging other nation's wage scales.

    When USA customers for USA steel are crowded out of the markets, where's the market for USA steel produced by higher earning USA labor? Additionally, because tariffs, unlike Import Certificates would only be applicable to steel and aluminum, those USA products will continue to be crowded out by any goods or service products that could serve as an alternative to products made with steel or aluminum.

    But if the Trump administration can succeed to reduce USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods, and increase our domestic production and numbers of jobs more than otherwise, regardless of all my other objections to the Trump administration, It's highly likely that I'd vote in favor of re-electing president Donald Trump.

    Refer to Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article.
    Respectfully, Supposn

  2. #2
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    36,057
    Thanks
    30756

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
    President Trump's Tariffs:

    I did not vote for a Democrat or a Republican 2017 presidential candidate or for their electoral college supporters. I indicated my rejection by voting for less than electable 3d party candidate, to demonstrate my opposition to the declared policies of both major parties and their candidates.

    I am not among those that squandered their votes in favor of candidates for which they had no confidence. I was particularly opposed to Donald Trump. Although I certainly wish our president well, President Trump's administration has not earned my confidence.

    I'm among the proponent of the improved policy described by Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It is superior to free trade or tariff policy. It would very significantly reduce, if not entirely eliminate USA's chronic annual trade deficits in a manner that would increase USA's domestic production and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.

    We suppose Trump's tariffs on aluminum and steel will not do so, but the tariffs limitations would rather reduce our net production and numbers of jobs more than otherwise. If USA taxes imported aluminum and steel, it's preferable that we tax all USA imports, from all nations to the extents their shipments to us contain aluminum or steel.

    It's not logical to “protect” USA steel mills but leave their USA customers at disadvantage to imports using cheaper foreign steel, and USA's trade laws should not be judging other nation's wage scales.

    When USA customers for USA steel are crowded out of the markets, where's the market for USA steel produced by higher earning USA labor? Additionally, because tariffs, unlike Import Certificates would only be applicable to steel and aluminum, those USA products will continue to be crowded out by any goods or service products that could serve as an alternative to products made with steel or aluminum.

    But if the Trump administration can succeed to reduce USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods, and increase our domestic production and numbers of jobs more than otherwise, regardless of all my other objections to the Trump administration, It's highly likely that I'd vote in favor of re-electing president Donald Trump.

    Refer to Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article.
    Respectfully, Supposn
    Trump is in negotiations for trade talks with China for some future date.

    Trump has back away from tariffs. We don't know what exactly that means but most people see this as a hold to any tariffs.


    Trump talks China tariffs; backs away from trade war


    China will also have space to respond to Trump’s actions, reducing the risk of immediate dramatic retaliation from Beijing, and Trump struck an emollient tone as he started speaking, saying “I view them as a friend.”
    https://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/71096


    You have information that steel and aluminum tariffs are still on, that is news.

  3. #3
    Shut up and vote Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49,197
    Thanks
    27058

    From
    Ohio
    Said this before and I'll repeat. They should have done this 20 or 30 years ago. I feel as though Americans were forced to adapt to outsourcing, cheaper products from other countries and the destruction of unions through these policies. We could never compete with labor that makes $5 an hour and we never will.

    That said, many Americans use cheaper raw materials or components made overseas to make finished products with added value. Example:









    All this stuff I used to make and sell to support myself wouldn't have been possible without the low price of the wood (1/4" birch plywood and pine boards) purchased at Lowe's for very low prices. Each item the materials were below $1 for the wood. Paint, brushes, saw blades and sanding belts all purchased from overseas kept my costs minimal.

    I made thousands of dollars doing this, and every item I was able to sell for less than $20 which increased my sales a lot. I used my manufacturing skills to organize my production to make the most efficient use of my time as possible.

    People should be able to avoid paying extra when imported materials are used in making finished products here in the USA. I'd rather we focus on manufacturing products using skill instead of making raw materials and lowering costs letting the Chinese do the grunt work and we do the creative part.

    JMO, but like I said, we've all adapted to a global economy and forcing everyone to go backwards is just stupid at this point.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01

  4. #4
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,666
    Thanks
    11225

    From
    By the wall
    So the OP squandered his vote for a third party candidate.

    That's what I got.
    Thanks from Claudius the God

  5. #5
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    36,057
    Thanks
    30756

    From
    SWUSA
    Trump going forward with ridiculous tariffs on ally steel and aluminum imports June 1.

    Prices on all consumer products using imported steel and aluminum going up...wiping out that huge tax cut windfall you still have not gotten.

    Are you still waiting on your MAGA?
    Thanks from HayJenn and BigLeRoy

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    100,233
    Thanks
    7813

    From
    Vancouver
    From this morning, The US’s first, second and third biggest trading partners are now of one mind, with one shared goal.

    MAP.

    Make America Pay.
    Thanks from RNG, BigLeRoy and Blueneck

  7. #7
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    52,622
    Thanks
    40488

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    From this morning, The US’s first, second and third biggest trading partners are now of one mind, with one shared goal.

    MAP.

    Make America Pay.
    WASHINGTON—The Trump administration raised the prospect of a global trade war by imposing tariffs on imports from the closest U.S. neighbors and allies, who swiftly pledged to retaliate with duties of their own.

    The move follows months of U.S. threats to impose tariffs, part of a push to negotiate new trade terms. The Trump administration is negotiating with virtually all of its major trading partners around the globe, including with Mexico and Canada over the North American Free Trade Agreement. Those initiatives have generally failed to bring the large, quick victories Mr. Trump has promised.

    The reaction from allies was swift and severe. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his government would impose a 25% tariff on steel imports from the U.S. and a 10% tariff on aluminum and a wide range of other U.S. goods, including some food and agricultural products. Ottawa said it would hold consultations for two weeks before imposing the tariffs on July 1.

    Mexico’s Economy Ministry said it would target a number of U.S. goods, including some steel and pipe products, lamps, berries, grapes, apples, cold cuts, pork chops and various cheese products “up to an amount comparable to the level of damage” linked to the U.S. tariffs.

    The EU has said it is also planning to hit back with its own duties on U.S. exports worth €6.4 billion ($7.5 billion), including on steel, motorcycles and some agricultural products. Up to €2.8 billion of that could go into effect starting June 20. The EU said it would also launch a case against U.S. measures at the World Trade Organization on Friday.

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-sla...ion-1527774283

    Wonder how Trump supporters are going to feel when this hits them directly in the pocket book?

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    100,233
    Thanks
    7813

    From
    Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    WASHINGTON—The Trump administration raised the prospect of a global trade war by imposing tariffs on imports from the closest U.S. neighbors and allies, who swiftly pledged to retaliate with duties of their own.

    The move follows months of U.S. threats to impose tariffs, part of a push to negotiate new trade terms. The Trump administration is negotiating with virtually all of its major trading partners around the globe, including with Mexico and Canada over the North American Free Trade Agreement. Those initiatives have generally failed to bring the large, quick victories Mr. Trump has promised.

    The reaction from allies was swift and severe. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his government would impose a 25% tariff on steel imports from the U.S. and a 10% tariff on aluminum and a wide range of other U.S. goods, including some food and agricultural products. Ottawa said it would hold consultations for two weeks before imposing the tariffs on July 1.

    Mexico’s Economy Ministry said it would target a number of U.S. goods, including some steel and pipe products, lamps, berries, grapes, apples, cold cuts, pork chops and various cheese products “up to an amount comparable to the level of damage” linked to the U.S. tariffs.

    The EU has said it is also planning to hit back with its own duties on U.S. exports worth €6.4 billion ($7.5 billion), including on steel, motorcycles and some agricultural products. Up to €2.8 billion of that could go into effect starting June 20. The EU said it would also launch a case against U.S. measures at the World Trade Organization on Friday.

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-sla...ion-1527774283

    Wonder how Trump supporters are going to feel when this hits them directly in the pocket book?
    They won’t know it happened.

    At 4:15 this afternoon, news networks all over UK, Canada, Mexico and Europe were on fire. Full coverage. Live reactions from national leaders overlapping.

    Change the channel to US networks: CNN was talking about Trumps FBI problems. Fox News was blasting Sally Fields and Kathy Griffin for supporting a woman who called Ivanka Trump a swear word.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy, HayJenn and Blueneck

  9. #9
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,958
    Thanks
    7487

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    So the OP squandered his vote for a third party candidate.

    That's what I got.
    That doesn't surprise me.
    lol
    Thanks from RNG

  10. #10
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    33,023
    Thanks
    28195

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    Trump going forward with ridiculous tariffs on ally steel and aluminum imports June 1.

    Prices on all consumer products using imported steel and aluminum going up...wiping out that huge tax cut windfall you still have not gotten.

    Are you still waiting on your MAGA?
    Nebraska Republican Senator Ben Sasse offered this assessment of President Trump's move on tariffs: "It's really, really dumb...."

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/08/polit...umb/index.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th April 2018, 08:19 AM
  2. Trump’s Tariffs Hit Home in the U.S.
    By Friday13 in forum Economics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th April 2018, 12:44 AM
  3. Think twice about tariffs, President Trump.
    By HadEnough2 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 24th March 2018, 06:09 AM
  4. Trump wants to impose reciprocal tariffs
    By Friday13 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th March 2018, 12:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st December 2016, 07:30 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed