Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79
Thanks Tree59Thanks

Thread: Vermont Will Pay You Up To $10,000 To Move There And Work Remotely

  1. #21
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,367
    Thanks
    27453

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I dunno. $5000.00 a year? For two years? I mean, I wouldn't turn down $5000.00 if someone just handed it to me, but that only amounts to a temporary raise of about $2.00 per hour. I doubt that there are very many people whose employers allow them to work remotely from home for whom an additional $5000.00 per year would represent a major change in their household budgets, especially when taking into consideration the initial cost of relocating.
    Oh I agree completely. I wouldnt do it and I only live an hour away from there. I just think there might be someone who maybe always wanted to live on a farm or on a lot of land and this might present the opportunity. As I understand it, the northern 3 New England states are getting pretty nervous about the aging issue. But I just dont think this is going to convince some 25 year old software engineer to move there. It is a commitment as well. What they need is to try to lure business there. But thats been hard for forever.

  2. #22
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    42,782
    Thanks
    37859

    From
    Sometimes I get cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Are you moving to Vermont?
    Not likely. My sister is a remote worker as well, but she does MN Work Comp. I'm pretty sure they actually want her in-state, even if she is at home.

  3. #23
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,367
    Thanks
    27453

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    2k month rent? That's crazy expensive.
    Pretty normal in the greater Boston area. It costs more to rent than a mortgage in most cases.

  4. #24
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37,775
    Thanks
    35592

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Oh I agree completely. I wouldnt do it and I only live an hour away from there. I just think there might be someone who maybe always wanted to live on a farm or on a lot of land and this might present the opportunity. As I understand it, the northern 3 New England states are getting pretty nervous about the aging issue. But I just dont think this is going to convince some 25 year old software engineer to move there. It is a commitment as well. What they need is to try to lure business there. But thats been hard for forever.

    It's sort of a catch-22. It's difficult to lure out of state companies to locate in a place that has no viable labor pool available. I wonder if we'll ever see a day in which one of these states just declares bankruptcy, secedes from the union and shuts down their state government?
    Thanks from bajisima

  5. #25
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    94,555
    Thanks
    71858

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I dunno. $5000.00 a year? For two years? I mean, I wouldn't turn down $5000.00 if someone just handed it to me, but that only amounts to a temporary raise of about $2.00 per hour. I doubt that there are very many people whose employers allow them to work remotely from home for whom an additional $5000.00 per year would represent a major change in their household budgets, especially when taking into consideration the initial cost of relocating.
    I think the main appeal is going to be for people who are looking to relocate anyway. As in I want to get out of the city and move to the country. A modern-day Green Acres kind of thing. Those people are already out there and Vermont's taking a shot at winning them.
    Thanks from bajisima, NightSwimmer and BigLeRoy

  6. #26
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,367
    Thanks
    27453

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    It's sort of a catch-22. It's difficult to lure out of state companies to locate in a place that has no viable labor pool available. I wonder if we'll ever see a day in which one of these states just declares bankruptcy, secedes from the union and shuts down their state government?
    Well Vermont has been trying to secede for years to Quebec. But I just dont see that happening. Its biggest issues is it doesnt have great access to anything. Its far away. IBM made microchips there for a long time but they sold the business to Global Foundries who has realized that their shipping costs of chips back to China to be put in electronics is getting expensive. They recently shuddered their nuclear plant which provided some decent work. Its really full of small cottage type industries that appeal to tourists. So it leaves the young sort of shaking their heads when it comes to choosing to live there. They also have had unusual zoning restrictions so they dont have any large supermarket stores or box stores as it violates their laws. Instead they have many small town grocers or country stores. Burlington is the major city but still not a ton of shopping. Like I said, one would have to have some sort of want to live there in the first place.
    Thanks from boontito

  7. #27
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    94,555
    Thanks
    71858

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Oh I agree completely. I wouldnt do it and I only live an hour away from there. I just think there might be someone who maybe always wanted to live on a farm or on a lot of land and this might present the opportunity. As I understand it, the northern 3 New England states are getting pretty nervous about the aging issue. But I just dont think this is going to convince some 25 year old software engineer to move there. It is a commitment as well. What they need is to try to lure business there. But thats been hard for forever.
    Agreed. They probably know that too but are thinking if this helps even a little they're still ahead. Plus, it's a lot harder to convince a business to move there than remote workers who could live anywhere, theoretically.

    We've had a big tech spike around here with Intuit, Microsoft, Yahoo, and others building big data centers in a few local rural communities in recent years. They came because the land was cheap and so is the power. Two things they desperately need. It took awhile for the workforce to catch up. Attracting businesses without some advantage over other areas is a tough hurdle.

  8. #28
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,367
    Thanks
    27453

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    I think the main appeal is going to be for people who are looking to relocate anyway. As in I want to get out of the city and move to the country. A modern-day Green Acres kind of thing. Those people are already out there and Vermont's taking a shot at winning them.
    Thats what happened in the 1970s. "Hippies" (think Bernie Sanders, Ben and Jerry) who wanted that sort of natural lifestyle went there with the idea that they would be self sufficient. Grow their own food, live independently that sort of thing. Dramatically changed the state. Now that they are all old, its dynamic is again shifting. Nobody really knows what will happen there. NH is a bit better off since the southern two counties are within commuting distance to Boston. So that keeps at least the southern tier busy. But even there limited public transportation and long commute times scare the young away.
    Thanks from boontito

  9. #29
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37,775
    Thanks
    35592

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    I think the main appeal is going to be for people who are looking to relocate anyway. As in I want to get out of the city and move to the country. A modern-day Green Acres kind of thing. Those people are already out there and Vermont's taking a shot at winning them.


    Fresh Air!
    Thanks from boontito

  10. #30
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,367
    Thanks
    27453

    From
    New Hampshire
    Vermont also has the only state capitol without a McDonalds..

    This is the only US state capital that doesn't have a McDonald's - Business Insider
    Thanks from boontito, Ian Jeffrey and BigLeRoy

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Google assistant used to shoot gun remotely
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2nd June 2018, 05:26 AM
  2. Americans no longer move for work
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th May 2017, 08:01 AM
  3. Why is this remotely acceptable?
    By Blueneck in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 15th December 2014, 11:57 AM
  4. FBI can remotely turn on your webcam
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 13th December 2013, 10:57 AM
  5. Prison work crews cut in cost-savings move
    By Divine Wind in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 16th September 2011, 07:04 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed