Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 230
Thanks Tree132Thanks

Thread: 51 Million U.S. Households Can't Afford Basics

  1. #41
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    52,517
    Thanks
    40388

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Why hasn't any of those liberal states passed $15 per hour or $20 per hour minimum wages? You know why? Because they know that it won't fix anything.

    Imagine this unique concept... Get established before you start having kids. Don't be trying to make it on a minimum wage with three or four kids and only one income. MAKE BETTER DECISIONS.
    More stereotyping - awesome!!

  2. #42
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    52,517
    Thanks
    40388

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Really? Walmart pays a starting wage of $11 per hour. They now offer college to employees who have been with them 90 days or longer for $1 per day. They give employees discounts on purchases. Offer job training for promotions, raises, insurance, paid vacation, etc. Yet, you still hate them.
    But you loathe their employees.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy, Dragonfly5 and HadEnough2

  3. #43
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,948
    Thanks
    7473

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Really? Walmart pays a starting wage of $11 per hour. They now offer college to employees who have been with them 90 days or longer for $1 per day. They give employees discounts on purchases. Offer job training for promotions, raises, insurance, paid vacation, etc. Yet, you still hate them.
    Oh, you mean the full time employee benefits? WalMart full time employees are almost non existent. And when they raised wages, they cut hours even more, which of course led to unrealistic work loads for people. Good excuse to get rid of some long term employees. But of course that was to be expected, following the philosophy laid out in the Susan Chambers memo.
    Thanks from BDBoop

  4. #44
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,836
    Thanks
    28001

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    They've never been sufficient to get jobs that support a family. People have always had to have more education or a skill to move up.
    Never? In some regions, in the 1940's and 1950's a high school diploma WOULD have been sufficient to land a factory job paying a middle-class wage, enough to raise a family on, buy a home, a car, maybe even two cars eventually, send Junior and Suzy to college, and even save for retirement. Even into the 1960's in some favored regions of America. But that America is long gone. And, as I said, a high school diploma is pretty much meaningless today. Show me a kid with a recently minted high school diploma, and I don't know that he knows ANYTHING. He might not know what country lies to the north of the United States. He might not be able to add one-sixth to one-seventh. He might not be able to tell who the first President was, or who the current Vice President is. Because almost anyone can get a high school diploma these days. All you have to do is show up. So, yes, today, you absolutely need to have some additional vocational school, or some college at least, if not a degree, to get a decent job. But that was not ALWAYS the case.
    Thanks from bajisima, Dragonfly5 and HadEnough2

  5. #45
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,836
    Thanks
    28001

    From
    Colorado
    By the way, I believe it is about the same number of households in America that don't even have $500 socked away for an emergency...….

  6. #46
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    20,447
    Thanks
    3181

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    The welfare cliff is quite deep now.

    Let's say welfare gives 2000$/month.

    That takes a person who is making around 18$/hr after deductions to get that same money.... but there's no chance to get the skills required to get a job that pays that much.

  7. #47
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    45,106
    Thanks
    17867

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    By the way, I believe it is about the same number of households in America that don't even have $500 socked away for an emergency...….
    A lot of that is by choice. We have a situation where we probably will have a big special assessment for our condo association, and one neighbor keeps saying they will have to accept $10/month because that is all she can pay them. I said good luck with that, they will foreclose on you. I was thinking maybe you won't be able to eat out several times per week, have to paint your own toenails, and some other extras for a while to pay it. I will have the money because I have been saving, not because my income is any higher than hers. I would also like to get my hair professionally highlighted often, but I have to save that money knowing we can be levied a special assessment at any time! Paying for my home comes first.

    You might be surprised at a lot of things people feel entitled to that are luxeries.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  8. #48
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,836
    Thanks
    28001

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    A lot of that is by choice. We have a situation where we probably will have a big special assessment for our condo association, and one neighbor keeps saying they will have to accept $10/month because that is all she can pay them. I said good luck with that, they will foreclose on you. I was thinking maybe you won't be able to eat out several times per week, have to paint your own toenails, and some other extras for a while to pay it. I will have the money because I have been saving, not because my income is any higher than hers. I would also like to get my hair professionally highlighted often, but I have to save that money knowing we can be levied a special assessment at any time! Paying for my home comes first.

    You might be surprised at a lot of things people feel entitled to that are luxeries.
    I don't disagree with that at all! Back in 2001, I wrote a long piece of poetry critiquing Americans' propensity for spending on frivolities. It was an economic fable titled 'The Fable of Loony-Land'. Perhaps I will post it here somewhere within the next few weeks. It is not short, which is why I shall not do it tonight or tomorrow. I was very much opposed to George W. Bush's proposed economic policies, which I saw as taking America in a decidedly wrong direction, so I put my objections into a Dr. Seuss style poem, which I think many of my students enjoyed hearing over the years. Yes, Americans are big spenders. And a LOT of it is indeed silly spending.

  9. #49
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34,198
    Thanks
    26973

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    America, the country where lots of people buy their weed, booze, and lottery tickets, then wonder why they can't afford the basics!
    That argument was proven false by the first comprehensive study carried out in 1899.
    Thanks from OldGaffer

  10. #50
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    41,398
    Thanks
    43499

    From
    Nashville, TN
    The right has it all figured out, we have shitty wages and are 25th out of 26 industrialized nations in poverty because we have far shittier poor people than the other 25 industrialized nations......and we have shittier pay because we have people with no education and job skills unlike the other 25 that have education and job training because they are communists.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. According to the USDA: 1 in 5 U.S. Households on Food Stamps
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 24th January 2014, 12:09 PM
  2. Women are now the breadwinners in 40% of US households
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 1st June 2013, 01:30 PM
  3. Lets knock QE down to its basics.
    By michaelr in forum Economics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th May 2013, 08:54 AM
  4. 45 % if American Households don't owe Income tax?
    By EnigmaO01 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th April 2011, 05:49 AM
  5. Study: 1.2 million households lost to recession
    By michaelr in forum Economics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th April 2010, 08:47 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed