Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 230
Thanks Tree132Thanks

Thread: 51 Million U.S. Households Can't Afford Basics

  1. #51
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    29,008
    Thanks
    20789

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    America, the country where lots of people buy their weed, booze, and lottery tickets, then wonder why they can't afford the basics!
    Punch down much??
    Thanks from HayJenn

  2. #52
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    29,008
    Thanks
    20789

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    The welfare cliff is quite deep now.

    Let's say welfare gives 2000$/month.

    That takes a person who is making around 18$/hr after deductions to get that same money.... but there's no chance to get the skills required to get a job that pays that much.
    Welfare $2000 a month. Where? Finland?
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and Dragonfly5

  3. #53
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31,565
    Thanks
    19766

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    It's amazing how many people that work full time jobs are still eligible for public assistance. So instead of the employer paying a living wage, we the people end up footing the bill just to enhance the company's bottom line. That should piss everyone off.
    Those damn employers.

    Think we have nailed the core of the problem.

  4. #54
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,264
    Thanks
    31945

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    The right has it all figured out, we have shitty wages and are 25th out of 26 industrialized nations in poverty because we have far shittier poor people than the other 25 industrialized nations......and we have shittier pay because we have people with no education and job skills unlike the other 25 that have education and job training because they are communists.
    Those 'communists' do seem much more willing to invest in education than Americans are, anymore. I know teachers who have gone without a raise in more than ten years. And I am talking about HARD-WORKING teachers. There are reasons America ranks near the bottom of all the industrialized countries in standardized math scores. And then we wonder why our young kids can't get good jobs. Sheesh.

  5. #55
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    42,611
    Thanks
    45060

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Those damn employers.

    Think we have nailed the core of the problem.
    There are lots of studies, try Stiglitz(he won a Nobel in Economics)…

    Joseph Stiglitz Says Standard Economics Is Wrong. Inequality and Unearned Income Kills the Economy - Evonomics

    https://oxfamblogs.org/fp2p/tag/stiglitz/

    https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...r=accesspaylog
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  6. #56
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    22,178
    Thanks
    3445

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    Welfare $2000 a month. Where? Finland?
    I dunno... EI last time I needed was 800 every 2 weeks, but that was years ago, so I rounded up.

    The point being, that it's a lot easier and more appealing to get welfare than it is to scrounge around with shit jobs till you have the experience needed to make more than you would make otherwise.

  7. #57
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    38,349
    Thanks
    7835

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    But you loathe their employees.
    That is not true. Your. post is a LIE. I do not loathe their employees. I detest people who make bad decisions then feel that we have a burden to bail them out. If someone chooses to have children while still working a starting wage job, that isn't a good decision.

  8. #58
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    38,349
    Thanks
    7835

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Oh, you mean the full time employee benefits? WalMart full time employees are almost non existent. And when they raised wages, they cut hours even more, which of course led to unrealistic work loads for people. Good excuse to get rid of some long term employees. But of course that was to be expected, following the philosophy laid out in the Susan Chambers memo.
    That is not true. Walmart has significant benefits for employees. Quantify your statement. You say when they raised wages they cut hours, how many hours are full-time employees working at Walmart? Can you back up this cut with links?

  9. #59
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    54,993
    Thanks
    42516

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    That is not true. Your. post is a LIE. I do not loathe their employees. I detest people who make bad decisions then feel that we have a burden to bail them out. If someone chooses to have children while still working a starting wage job, that isn't a good decision.
    Yes you do, otherwise you would not call them "losers" all the time. You assume that many of them are off having babies that can't afford, with no shred of evidence to back that up. Yeah, $11 bucks an hour while the Walton Family are worth how much?

    And without those employees, your "favorite" store would cease to exist. So I find that pretty ironic.

    Major corps are doing well - even more so after the huge windfall they got from the GOP tax bill

    They need to step up and at least pay a living wage. Because 51 million people would actually spend that money, instead of using it to buy back stocks (like most of the major corps are doing).

  10. #60
    Veteran Member bonehead's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    15,434
    Thanks
    5761

    From
    south
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Observing.

    You should try it.
    an individual's observations - anybody's - is somewhat limited and narrow. you got some statistics to back up your claims?
    Last edited by bonehead; 6th June 2018 at 02:28 AM.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. According to the USDA: 1 in 5 U.S. Households on Food Stamps
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 24th January 2014, 12:09 PM
  2. Women are now the breadwinners in 40% of US households
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 1st June 2013, 01:30 PM
  3. Lets knock QE down to its basics.
    By michaelr in forum Economics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th May 2013, 08:54 AM
  4. 45 % if American Households don't owe Income tax?
    By EnigmaO01 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th April 2011, 05:49 AM
  5. Study: 1.2 million households lost to recession
    By michaelr in forum Economics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th April 2010, 08:47 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed