Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 78
Thanks Tree29Thanks

Thread: Volvo opens first US auto plant

  1. #41
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    37,604
    Thanks
    7719

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    There is a fucking reason we are 25th out of 26 industrialized nations in poverty level....
    You seem very upset about this. You could move to another nation if you like. If they'll take you.

  2. #42
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    37,604
    Thanks
    7719

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    It's why unions should think and act globally, like corporations do.
    Unions are history. The left fights President Trump when he tries to impose tariffs on US companies making products outside of the US but then cries because good jobs aren't here any more?

  3. #43
    olguy OlGuy's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,508
    Thanks
    529

    From
    california
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I don't know why you think that Volvo won't continue to have success as an automobile manufacturer.

    As for electric cars, that's what all of the major manufacturers are moving toward.
    Domestic manufacturing has failed so far to capture the market and Volvo apparently sold out because they couldn't compete, so I don't see a rosy horizon but time will tell. Far be it from me to squash optimism.

  4. #44
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,718
    Thanks
    36790

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by OlGuy View Post
    Domestic manufacturing has failed so far to capture the market and Volvo apparently sold out because they couldn't compete, so I don't see a rosy horizon but time will tell. Far be it from me to squash optimism.

    Frankly, your pessimism isn't very effective at squashing the optimism of others.

  5. #45
    olguy OlGuy's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,508
    Thanks
    529

    From
    california
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Frankly, your pessimism isn't very effective at squashing the optimism of others.
    Well thank God then, but my guess is the US legislature would have to take steps such as France, in passing laws to replace combustion engines with electric, to overcome consumer reluctance to buy electric motors in their vehicles. But if they did I'd still bet on Japan or Korea over Volvo.

  6. #46
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70,298
    Thanks
    34169

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Unions are history. The left fights President Trump when he tries to impose tariffs on US companies making products outside of the US but then cries because good jobs aren't here any more?
    You keep right on thinking that.
    Tell me when and exactly how Trump "TRIED to impose tariffs on US companies making products outside of the US."
    Carry on.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  7. #47
    Self Banned Mister B's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,986
    Thanks
    1475

    From
    DS9
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    You seem very upset about this. You could move to another nation if you like. If they'll take you.
    Just so you know...Volvo is a Chinese owned company.

  8. #48
    Self Banned Mister B's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,986
    Thanks
    1475

    From
    DS9
    btw...we just traded our Volvo and Buick today for a new Cadillac XT5. Just in time...thanks to the Supreme Leader, values of both cars have bottomed out.

  9. #49
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    37,604
    Thanks
    7719

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
    Just so you know...Volvo is a Chinese owned company.
    Volvo is a Swedish owned company, not Chinese.


    Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

  10. #50
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,718
    Thanks
    36790

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Volvo is a Swedish owned company, not Chinese.


    Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

    You are wrong, as usual.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geely



    BTW: This is one of the many reasons why the US was involved in TPP.
    Last edited by NightSwimmer; 22nd June 2018 at 05:27 AM.
    Thanks from Hollywood, Mister B and BigLeRoy

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Last Auto Plant in Australia Closes
    By Miller47 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th October 2017, 12:25 PM
  2. Volvo cars
    By Miller47 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 6th July 2017, 01:16 PM
  3. Volvo picks South Carolina for its first US plant
    By bajisima in forum Economics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13th May 2015, 05:43 AM
  4. Obama to tout thriving auto industry at plant closed for low demand
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th January 2015, 01:22 PM
  5. World's first osmotic power plant opens
    By Blueneck in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25th November 2009, 10:41 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed