Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 78 of 78
Thanks Tree29Thanks

Thread: Volvo opens first US auto plant

  1. #71
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,451
    Thanks
    1479

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    In the 20th century, Volvo had a reputation for making very safe cars but now that safety standards are pretty high for all cars sold in the U.S., they no longer have that advantage.

  2. #72
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,985
    Thanks
    37190

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Poor uneducated are who you import. You want the numbers to lead around at election time.

    I don't import anyone. The primary reason why we have undocumented immigrant workers in the US is the fact that the GOP doesn't want legally documented immigrant workers here because they can't be so easily abused when they are here legally.

    Immigrants from Mexico and South America should be a natural constituency for conservatives. They tend to be very religious and distrusting toward government. As a matter of fact, Republicans used to compete quite well for the votes of these immigrants. They only began to lose their support when they made it clear that they are opposed to immigration of any and all non-white people -- legal or illegal.

    As for undocumented immigrants, it is absurd to assert that Democrats desire to attract them as a voting bloc, since they aren't even allowed to vote.

    In other words, your argument has no basis in fact and is blatantly stupid.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  3. #73
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,985
    Thanks
    37190

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    In the 20th century, Volvo had a reputation for making very safe cars but now that safety standards are pretty high for all cars sold in the U.S., they no longer have that advantage.

    Volvo still enjoys a Top 10 ranking in comparative safety. So I'd say that they haven't lost that advantage. You are right, however, in your assertion that many other car manufacturers have stepped up their game when it comes to incorporating safety into their designs.

  4. #74
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    37,804
    Thanks
    7753

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Then perhaps you should have said, "I THINK that Volvo is a Swedish owned company." That would have been simple enough.
    I admitted that I was mistaken. Isn't that enough?

  5. #75
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70,468
    Thanks
    34331

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    I admitted that I was mistaken. Isn't that enough?
    I'll decide when it's enough, not you.

  6. #76
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,101
    Thanks
    30533

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Good grief thats from 2011. Slovenia just in the last two years is called "the car capitol of the world" since they now make more cars than anyone else.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksw...atislava_Plant
    @bajisima, you are confusing Slovenia with Slovakia! Slovakia is the country that has become 'the car capital of the world' due to all the automobile manufacturing located there. It used to be the eastern portion of Czechoslovakia until that nation split into two shortly after the end of the Cold War and the breakup of the Soviet Union. Slovenia is the northernmost portion of the former Yugoslavia. Bratislava, the city mentioned in your link, is the capital city of Slovakia, not Slovenia.

    Don't feel bad. Slovenia and Slovakia are often confused! It's not as bad as the folks who confuse Austria and Australia!! Ha!
    Thanks from Friday13, bajisima and NightSwimmer

  7. #77
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,583
    Thanks
    7002

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Volvo still enjoys a Top 10 ranking in comparative safety. So I'd say that they haven't lost that advantage. You are right, however, in your assertion that many other car manufacturers have stepped up their game when it comes to incorporating safety into their designs.
    Subaru and Volvo have long been considered among the safest cars.

    That may or may not still be true, but that's their reputation.

  8. #78
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,985
    Thanks
    37190

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Subaru and Volvo have long been considered among the safest cars.

    That may or may not still be true, but that's their reputation.

    It's a well deserved reputation founded in fact. That said, other manufacturers have struggled to catch up, once they realized that safety sells.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Similar Threads

  1. Last Auto Plant in Australia Closes
    By Miller47 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th October 2017, 12:25 PM
  2. Volvo cars
    By Miller47 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 6th July 2017, 01:16 PM
  3. Volvo picks South Carolina for its first US plant
    By bajisima in forum Economics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13th May 2015, 05:43 AM
  4. Obama to tout thriving auto industry at plant closed for low demand
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th January 2015, 01:22 PM
  5. World's first osmotic power plant opens
    By Blueneck in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25th November 2009, 10:41 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed