Members banned from this thread: Pragmatist and orangecat


Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 317
Thanks Tree135Thanks

Thread: Meet the Press Tariff Report Very Questionable

  1. #251
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,101
    Thanks
    30533

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Link is further back in this thread.
    I gave it to him, along with a little lecture about paying attention, in post #245.
    Thanks from Dittohead not!

  2. #252
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,101
    Thanks
    30533

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    or China, or it's neighbors.
    He really doesn't understand that China has become America's major BANKER, and that most people don't walk into their bank and start shouting threats at their banker. Yikes.
    Thanks from Dittohead not!

  3. #253
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,851
    Thanks
    9432

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    He's right. And in this case of 2018, I say it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    The reason simply is to discontinue the advantages over us that past (dumb) presidents have allowed other countries to have. Gee that was tough, huh?

    You want to allow China to tariff our cars going to them at 25% and higher, while their cars coming here get a mere 5% tariff ? I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    If a nation imposes tariffs in such a way (as you describe) to maintain a trade advantage over us, then they will have even greater tariffs imposed on them to reciprocate THAT. If they reciprocate to that, to maintain an advantage, they are then causing a trade war, in which we will eat their lunch.

    We have the largest and (by far) mo$t valuable MARKET in the world. They need us far more than we need them. Dumbest thing ANY country in the world can do is enter into a trade war with the United States.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    You flunked that class on the first page of this thread. I'm the teacher here. YOU are the student, and a bad one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    Where/how are you coming up with the notion that Trumpers (like me) don't want to engage in trade AT ALL ? LOL. I've never heard anything so ridiculous. Just because we want to engage in FAIR trade (ex. equal size tariffs), doesn't mean we oppose trading. Good grief man, get a grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    Where are you getting these price increases from ? Who said so ?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    Tariffs are NOT a quick fix. They are a permanent fix to a 30 year mess-up by 4 idiot past presidents. It's like if you bought a house that 4 previous owners never turned on the circuit breaker for the AC. You flip the switch to on, and voila! > nice cool air (for the first time in 30 years), and then you leave that switch ON. Permanent fix.
    Can I have some eggs with that spam?

  4. #254
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    69

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Completely ahistorical. Ever hear of the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act? Don't they teach ANYTHING in our history classes anymore?!?
    Congratulations! You get an award for being the 1000th person to mention the irrelevant Smoot-Hawley Act. Smoot-Hawley was embedded in a totally DIFFERENT time frame (1930s), and thereby a totally different set of criteria. In the 1930s, America didn't have mountains of outsourcing, with hundreds of US businesses operating overseas. It also didn't have the imbecile policies of 4 ex-presidents giving the whole world unrestricted access to our unique, massive, and wealthy MARKET.

    The Smoot-Hawley (what has become) talking point for anti-Trumpers, has its merits in an isolated 1930s manner, but not in conjuction with 2018 world conditions that Trump is dealing with.

  5. #255
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    69

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Can I have some eggs with that spam?
    You can have the opportunity to say something relevant in relation to the posts you quoted.

    Nobody's denying you that. Attachment 16190

  6. #256
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    69

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Funny, funny stuff. You appear to know nothing about tariffs, or how they actually AFFECT an economy.
    What a coincidence! That's exactly what I was thinking about you. How about that!

  7. #257
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    69

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Professor Sindone is talking, by the way, about a net loss of 1000 jobs from the tariffs in Indiana ALONE. The net job loss across the entire country from the tariffs will be much larger. And the fact that steel prices have ALREADY surged in anticipation of the tariffs shows that the steel companies are simply profiteering from this policy. It reveals, in stark clarity, that they are a special interest that benefits from the tariffs, at the EXPENSE of the rest of American society. This is what tariffs are ALWAYS about: they benefit one tiny slice of society at the expense of everybody else. Special interest politics, pure and simple. The biggest beneficiaries of the steel tariffs? The steel company CEOs, of course! Who made big campaign contributions to Mr. Trump, by the way. The steel company workers will also be beneficiaries. The biggest LOSERS will be the workers in industries that USE steel, many of whom are already LOSING their jobs, like the workers at the nail company in Missouri discussed in this thread.....But ordinary American consumers will also lose, having to pay higher prices on ANY goods that include steel.
    This could have been true, if only the Trump tariffs were only on steel and aluminum. Fact is though, Trump's tariff policies are wide and encompassing, and covering MANY things. And you still don't get the relationship between price and business income. Thousands of 18 year old college kids who just passed a college microeconomics course could well explain it to you. Problem is, you seem to be a slow learner.

  8. #258
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    69

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    You certainly don't read threads very carefully, do you? And you claim to be the teacher?? HA! It is to laugh. This link was originally provided for your reading pleasure in post #208. Quite obviously, you did not read it. It was Professor Anthony Sindone, associated with Purdue University, who provided this information that steel prices have already risen by 30% in anticipation of the tariffs. And, by the way, that information has also been reported in the pages of The Wall Street Journal, which is where I originally became aware of it. You should read that newspaper on a very regular basis, if you really wish to be at all informed.

    As tariffs begin, Northwest Indiana auto workers and farmers share concerns - Post-Tribune

    From the link:

    Now, Sindone and Micah Pollak, an economics professor at Indiana University Northwest, said they believe the hundreds hired by U.S. Steel, which has mills in Northwest Indiana, will be offset by other jobs that will be lost as a result of the tariffs.

    "I wouldn't be surprised by a net loss of 1,000 jobs caused by the steel tariff alone," Sindone said.

    He said the price of U.S. steel increased as much as 30 percent in anticipation of the tariff, creating higher prices in the building trade and manufacturing sectors that could create job losses in those areas.
    Perhaps you didn't read the OP too closely. As I mentioned, not all businesses follow economic rules. Sometimes they DO raise prices in response to some new cost coming forth. And some businesses also go out of business too. And the primary reason they do, is mismanagement. And the primary causes of that mismanagement are raising prices above their market price (which of course trigger sales reductions and LOSSES), and laying off workers ((which of course trigger sales reductions and LOSSES).

    Like with prices, the number of employees the firm chooses, isn't set by somebody's lucky number. It comes from what will generate the most sales/income. Therefore, (obviously) to lessen this number, is to REDUCE SALES/INCOME, and the firm is well on its way to bankruptcy.

    In the case of US Steel, they are helped by the economics of scale, but still will suffer sales reductions, if they had their market prices set correctly to begin with (I would guess they did)

    Another thing to be said in all of this, is that we are witnessing the early stages of a trade war. This war was not caused by Trump. It was caused by the foolish trade policies of Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 42, and Obama, + a variety of countries who quite naturally, took advantage. Now, with so many years having gone by, these countries have come accustomed to this trade advantage over the US, and have built their economies in adjustment to that.

    But when any war takes place, it isn't going to be a tennis match. A trade war is actually more similar to a military war, in that there are going to be casualties of some sorts along the way. Americans are not accustomed to being at war in trade. Thus, the idea of economic sufferings, however temporary, seem unacceptable . But, its a "no pain, no gain" kind of thing. In the end, it becomes worth it.

    Kind of like winning World War II. It WAS worth it, but a lot of pain came along with it. Nevertheless, after Pearl Harbor in 1941, Americans didn't say no we can't go to war with Japan, some Americans might get hurt. They persevered, even after 6,821 US troops got killed in the battle of Iwo Jima. They continued to persevere even after the horrific battle of Okinawa (12,520 US troops killed). Nobody liked it, but they toughed it all out, until it was settled that no Japs would attack us again, and our Pacific allies would be safe too.

    In this world, you can allow yourself to be walked all over, or you can FIGHT for what is rightfully yours. Trump has chosen to fight, and I'm behind him 100%.
    Last edited by rwb72; 12th July 2018 at 01:54 AM.

  9. #259
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    69

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I'm aware that's what Trump is saying. He says a lot of other nonsense as well.
    That wasn't the question.

  10. #260
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    69

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    or China, or it's neighbors.
    China does not have the MARKET that we in the US have. They have a lot of people, but they're dirt poor and lack DISPOSABLE INCOME. Even the incomes of those working in manufacturing are low, because their wages are pitiful. Simple fact is without our MARKET, China is in a bind.

    Want a confirmation on that ? > Easy. Take a walk through WalMart someday, and just look at a few dozen items sitting on the shelves, for sale. See how many of them say "Made in China"

    Banker or no banker, they need us far more than we need them.

    PS - no amount of money can ever repay us, for what we did for China in World War II.. Without us, and the lives lost of tens of thousands of our US troops, China would not even EXIST right now.
    Last edited by rwb72; 12th July 2018 at 02:08 AM.

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th June 2017, 08:52 PM
  2. Meet The Press
    By Lilly in forum Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 23rd December 2014, 06:52 AM
  3. Meet the Press
    By Czernobog in forum Current Events
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 26th August 2012, 10:39 PM
  4. Biden on Meet the Press
    By justoneman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16th February 2010, 07:11 AM
  5. Meet the Press for Idiots
    By Luigi in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th March 2007, 08:19 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed