Members banned from this thread: Pragmatist and orangecat


Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 283
Thanks Tree128Thanks

Thread: Meet the Press Tariff Report Very Questionable

  1. #31
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,819
    Thanks
    9416

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    FALSE!

    He he!

    Hi!

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,198
    Thanks
    8198

    From
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    Sure they are. You can take or leave it as I said. Not consequential.

    PS - "sources" are overrated. Often, they are nothing but somebody's wish to push an agenda. So you've got source. That's nice. In many cases, hardly means a thing.
    Such as the Trump as a economic genius agenda your op seems to embody?

  3. #33
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    37,604
    Thanks
    7719

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    The minimum wage in 1968 was $1.60 which is over $12.00 per hour in today's dollars. I'll just leave it at that to show your ignorance and hyperbole about how unGodly high $15.00 per hour is.

    Here in Indiana most of the McDonald's workers are hispanics that will to work for a low minimum wage. Even then turn over is high. Was recently in vacation in Massachusetts and no minorities were working in McDonalds. Why? Minimum wage in Massachusetts is much higher. Go figure.

    And btw didn't notice much difference in their prices.
    The point that you completely missed is that the the left tells us increasing the minimum wage to $15 per hour from $7.25 per hour will not result in increased prices but you think that these tariffs are the end of the world. Prices are all going off the grid.
    Thanks from orangecat and rwb72

  4. #34
    Senior Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,631
    Thanks
    7654

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    YOU don't understand it. What happens when you get all excited by a new cost ? (tariffs, minimum wage hike, whatever) So you foolishly raise your prices (which were set by SALES LEVELS aka "demand"), and well golly gee, your sales suddenly drop. And you're now making LESS money. I strongly suggest you don't ever open a business.
    OMG , I hope there is no public space available outside of this forum where you can spill this nonsense.. thinking about your audience, which would be deemed the same political spectrum than you,... it's the same folks who eat up all of Trump's nonsense ( you two actually sound very much alike, very simplistic views, which are completely free from reality).. And they would most likely eat up that nonsense just the same as you do.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and BDBoop

  5. #35
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    34,625
    Thanks
    30063

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You mean they were Washington establishment types
    Yes. Washington establishment Republicans. But in post #7, you said this was all "Democrat hysteria".


    Oops.

  6. #36
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    34,625
    Thanks
    30063

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    You didn't "explain anything. You DISPLAYED > blatant stupidity. Economics has been taught for as long as ECONOMICS HAS EXISTED. That goes back to the old kingdom of the Egyptians, and the Babylonians in Tigris Euphrates (current day Iraq). Even 10 year olds in the 5th grade know that.

    Whereever you went to school, maybe you ought to file a lawsuit against them. And you haven't said anything about profits or total revenue, Mr Imposter. As a former business owner, I can assure you, if you raise your prices above your market price, then yes, your sales will drop, because that what a market price is. The point at which that will happen, that cause you to lose income and thereby profits. What could be easier to understand ?

    Yet, you come in here like a babbling fool and pretend to know different. I doubt that you own a business, because with your mindset you wouldn't last long there. And if you ever did, and went out of business, because you set your prices above your market prices, I might guess you set those prices by your lucky number.
    If you think economics was taught anytime before, oh, 1780 AD, why then, you should find it very easy to link us to an economics textbook from the Old Kingdom of Egypt, or from ancient Babylonia, or from the time of the Roman Empire, or from the Italian Renaissance, or from, say, 1700 AD. I will give you ALL the time you need to do that.


    Economies have existed from the time of the Stone Age. Indeed, you can find an entertaining little book on Stone Age Economics by Marshall Sahlins. But not economics as a field of study. You simply have not a clue as to what you are talking about. As I noted, Adam Smith was the very FIRST Professor of Political Economy in ANY university, ANYWHERE in the world. He lived in the late 18th century. Prior to that, economics was considered a branch of Moral Philosophy. Adam Smith was a Professor of Moral Philosophy before the fame of his book The Wealth of Nations led him to be named as a Professor of Political Economy. In the early 19th century, the classical economist David Ricardo wrote the book titled Political Economy. This was probably the first textbook of economics, though another book by the French economist Jean Baptiste Say quickly replaced it. [Say is known for Say's Law, a very simplified version of which asserts that 'supply creates its own demand'.]


    You are the one who hasn't said anything about either profits or total revenue, because you don't appear to understand either concept. You should probably take a course in Managerial Economics, which I have taught to a few generations of MBA students. Most of whom have been pretty disappointing, intellectually speaking, by the way. A business interested in maximizing its profits sets its price by solving its profit maximization problem, which is a fairly straightforward problem in the calculus of multivariable optimization. Such methods are precisely what is taught in classes in Managerial Economics, as well as in Advanced Microeconomics. Right now, you are flunking Microeconomics 101.

  7. #37
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    34,625
    Thanks
    30063

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb72 View Post
    FALSE! And this is yet another example of your blatant ignorance. Since at least the 1970's, the US C of C has been in lockstep with Democrats on immigration, one of the top issues in America.

    How do I know ? I used to BE a Democrat back then, and even helped campaign for George McGovern in 1972. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. You've got a lot of energy here, and no knowledge behind it.

    https://www.theblaze.com/blog/2014/0...gration-policy

    https://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...n-immigration/
    You should get better sources of information. 96% of the Chamber's political donations go to Republicans. Oops.

    https://www.factcheck.org/2018/04/u-s-chamber-commerce/

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...er_of_Commerce

  8. #38
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    34,625
    Thanks
    30063

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    The point that you completely missed is that the the left tells us increasing the minimum wage to $15 per hour from $7.25 per hour will not result in increased prices but you think that these tariffs are the end of the world. Prices are all going off the grid.
    Got a link to someone [credible] telling you this?

  9. #39
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,819
    Thanks
    9416

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    You should get better sources of information. 96% of the Chamber's political donations go to Republicans. Oops.

    https://www.factcheck.org/2018/04/u-s-chamber-commerce/

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...er_of_Commerce
    FALSE!
    Jesus....96%???

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Got a link to someone [credible] telling you this?
    Hey, I'm PRETTY credible....can I ever just link to myself???
    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 9th July 2018 at 06:30 AM.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  10. #40
    Veteran Member bonehead's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    15,290
    Thanks
    5676

    From
    south
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    If you think economics was taught anytime before, oh, 1780 AD, why then, you should find it very easy to link us to an economics textbook from the Old Kingdom of Egypt, or from ancient Babylonia, or from the time of the Roman Empire, or from the Italian Renaissance, or from, say, 1700 AD. I will give you ALL the time you need to do that.


    Economies have existed from the time of the Stone Age. Indeed, you can find an entertaining little book on Stone Age Economics by Marshall Sahlins. But not economics as a field of study. You simply have not a clue as to what you are talking about. As I noted, Adam Smith was the very FIRST Professor of Political Economy in ANY university, ANYWHERE in the world. He lived in the late 18th century. Prior to that, economics was considered a branch of Moral Philosophy. Adam Smith was a Professor of Moral Philosophy before the fame of his book The Wealth of Nations led him to be named as a Professor of Political Economy. In the early 19th century, the classical economist David Ricardo wrote the book titled Political Economy. This was probably the first textbook of economics, though another book by the French economist Jean Baptiste Say quickly replaced it. [Say is known for Say's Law, a very simplified version of which asserts that 'supply creates its own demand'.]


    You are the one who hasn't said anything about either profits or total revenue, because you don't appear to understand either concept. You should probably take a course in Managerial Economics, which I have taught to a few generations of MBA students. Most of whom have been pretty disappointing, intellectually speaking, by the way. A business interested in maximizing its profits sets its price by solving its profit maximization problem, which is a fairly straightforward problem in the calculus of multivariable optimization. Such methods are precisely what is taught in classes in Managerial Economics, as well as in Advanced Microeconomics. Right now, you are flunking Microeconomics 101.
    maybe you should try to explain to some who gets the tariffs and who pays for them. might get their attention - but who knows.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th June 2017, 08:52 PM
  2. Meet The Press
    By Lilly in forum Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 23rd December 2014, 06:52 AM
  3. Meet the Press
    By Czernobog in forum Current Events
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 26th August 2012, 10:39 PM
  4. Biden on Meet the Press
    By justoneman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16th February 2010, 07:11 AM
  5. Meet the Press for Idiots
    By Luigi in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th March 2007, 08:19 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed