Members banned from this thread: Pragmatist and orangecat


Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 283
Thanks Tree128Thanks

Thread: Meet the Press Tariff Report Very Questionable

  1. #61
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    56

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Democrats back then include George Wallace....just saying.
    Why I don't know.

  2. #62
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    56

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    On one hand the left would have us believe that raising minimum wage to $15 per hour would have nominal effect on prices of goods and services, but a tariff would destroy the pricing?
    Interesting point. Both the minimum wage raise and the tariffs constitute increased cost to the firm. Yet some people (as you say "the left") are only ragging about the tariffs and contending that prices will rise.

    In the past, in OPs I've written about minimum wage raises, lefties came out of the woodwork to agree with me that prices can't go up (above current market prices) because this would trigger sales reductions, and in turn income and profit reductions.

    Now that it's tariffs, we're supposed to conclude that suddenly, for some reason, the same doesn't apply to THESE (tariff) increased costs ? Now price increases won't knock down sales ? If anybody wants to tackle that one, let's hear it. biggrin.gif

  3. #63
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    56

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Look, DUDE, you haven't been a member of this site long enough to be calling anyone here (certainly not a long-term poster) a "fool". Get a grip....
    I'll call anybody what I see fit as long as it's within forum rules, and you don't tell me what to do,... FOOL.

  4. #64
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    34,625
    Thanks
    30063

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    Incorrect. Look up "anarchy".
    You said you would ALWAYS support tax cuts. That would mean that even if the current level of taxation was at 0.0000000000001% of income, you would support another tax cut, yes? You don't seem to stop to think about the implications of your own words, see?

    By saying that you would ALWAYS support tax cuts, you are announcing that you are an advocate of doing away with government. There is no other logical conclusion to be drawn.

  5. #65
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    34,625
    Thanks
    30063

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    Bob.
    This is exactly the kind of hyper-ridiculous post we have come to expect from you.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

  6. #66
    #walkaway orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,540
    Thanks
    529

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    You said you would ALWAYS support tax cuts. That would mean that even if the current level of taxation was at 0.0000000000001% of income, you would support another tax cut, yes? You don't seem to stop to think about the implications of your own words, see?

    By saying that you would ALWAYS support tax cuts, you are announcing that you are an advocate of doing away with government. There is no other logical conclusion to be drawn.
    You operate under the false premise that a government can only exist via taxation. Next.

  7. #67
    #walkaway orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,540
    Thanks
    529

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    This is exactly the kind of hyper-ridiculous post we have come to expect from you.
    I often counter ridiculousness with ridiculousness. Do you really think teaching didn't exist before textbooks? lol.

  8. #68
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    56

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    The minimum wage in 1968 was $1.60 which is over $12.00 per hour in today's dollars. I'll just leave it at that to show your ignorance and hyperbole about how unGodly high $15.00 per hour is.

    Here in Indiana most of the McDonald's workers are hispanics that will to work for a low minimum wage. Even then turn over is high. Was recently in vacation in Massachusetts and no minorities were working in McDonalds. Why? Minimum wage in Massachusetts is much higher. Go figure.

    And btw didn't notice much difference in their prices.
    $1.60 in 1968 = $11.57 in 2018 (623% cumulative rate of inflation)

    https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

    The "Hispanics" you mention in Indiana, are quite likely illegal aliens. In Massachusetts, employers have to pay higher wage and Americans are willing to take the jobs. I'm just speculating here, but this would be my guess on the surface of it.

  9. #69
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    56

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    I often counter ridiculousness with ridiculousness. Do you really think teaching didn't exist before textbooks? lol.
    With Leroy the problem lies with one word in your post >> "think" LOL.

    (I couldn't resist that one - the door was too wide open)
    Thanks from orangecat

  10. #70
    New Member rwb72's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    56

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    To be honest, I don't know that the tariffs will do any harm and may, in fact, help us tremendously long term.
    Good post. I agree. For waaay too long, some countries (notably China and Mexico) have been taking advantage of us, by tariffing our exports to them, while 4 damn fool US presidents (Clinton, Obama, and both Bushes) have been giving them unrestricted access to our valuable and huge MARKET. This has also been true of some of our so-called "allies" in Canada and Europe.

    All Trump is doing now, is putting the whole mess back together again, to how it should have been all along.
    Thanks from orangecat

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th June 2017, 08:52 PM
  2. Meet The Press
    By Lilly in forum Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 23rd December 2014, 06:52 AM
  3. Meet the Press
    By Czernobog in forum Current Events
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 26th August 2012, 10:39 PM
  4. Biden on Meet the Press
    By justoneman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16th February 2010, 07:11 AM
  5. Meet the Press for Idiots
    By Luigi in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th March 2007, 08:19 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed