Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93
Thanks Tree42Thanks

Thread: Basic Income

  1. #1
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50,571
    Thanks
    36143

    From
    Englewood,Ohio

    Basic Income

    Something that Richard Nixon suggested.

    Could we have a sensible discussion on the Pros and Cons? How could it be set up?

    Several Countries are already doing this. Not like Welfare where people are ashamed or greedy to stay on it.

    What about one Health care for all? Insurance companies would share, but it would be equal. We have a lot of that for older people. why not all?
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  2. #2
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,174
    Thanks
    28202

    From
    New Hampshire
    One thing a lot of people dont realize is a basic income replaces welfare, food stamps and sometimes unemployment. Its paid to all over 18. So in some cases its cheaper. It also helps out families and can encourage parents to stay home with kids since they still can get some money while at home. It has its pros and cons, but with automation coming and jobs going to be lost, it might be an option. Depends on how its set up.
    Thanks from Babba, MaryAnne and Puzzling Evidence

  3. #3
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,174
    Thanks
    28202

    From
    New Hampshire
    One of the biggest cons for a basic income or Medicare for All is we need a vibrant young population to support the older, sicker citizens. We dont have that and probably wont. Like Japan we are an older society (though not as bad). There used to be something like 9 working people for every retiree but now its down to 2 or 3 and predicted to get worse. Thats a problem.

  4. #4
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    68,598
    Thanks
    50483

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    One of the biggest cons for a basic income or Medicare for All is we need a vibrant young population to support the older, sicker citizens. We dont have that and probably wont. Like Japan we are an older society (though not as bad). There used to be something like 9 working people for every retiree but now its down to 2 or 3 and predicted to get worse. Thats a problem.
    Which is why we should be welcoming immigrants and refugees. Especially refugees from the ME since their populations are much younger.
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  5. #5
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,174
    Thanks
    28202

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Which is why we should be welcoming immigrants and refugees. Especially refugees from the ME since their populations are much younger.
    They need to be skilled though so they can get high paying jobs and pay more into the structure. We desperately need college educated immigrants in their 20s and 30s to help currently. Especially if they are in the medical field since we are running short. My doctor just announced her retirement and there is no doctors accepting new patients. So now I am on a waiting list. They told me to go to the ER or one of those 24 hour clinics if I need help. Ridiculous.

  6. #6
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,431
    Thanks
    32655

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    One thing a lot of people dont realize is a basic income replaces welfare, food stamps and sometimes unemployment. Its paid to all over 18. So in some cases its cheaper.
    I think that, unless people are going to college/university/&c. anyway (i.e., a legitimate reason for not entering the work force), a guaranteed basic income merely motivates people to delay entering the work force for no particular reason. While on the one hand this general reduction in work force could help bottom-end wages to rise, it encourages people to essentially do nothing at all. While this might be a good alternative to food stamps and (especially) unemployment, it might not be the best policy to enact.

    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    It also helps out families and can encourage parents to stay home with kids since they still can get some money while at home.
    This would be a valid purpose, though it would be a more targeted policy approach that would solve a couple different problems at once. We could have more stay-at-home parents for better parenting, fewer problems finding work within reasonable transporatation range, and fewer administrative expenses on the government side since the paperwork would be drastically reduced by obviating the need for an application and approval process.
    Thanks from bajisima, Libertine and MaryAnne

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    9,959
    Thanks
    1650

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Which is why we should be welcoming immigrants and refugees. Especially refugees from the ME since their populations are much younger.
    The growth of the US working age population has been outstripping job growth for years. Actually we need to slow population growth. Technology and automation are reducing the need for workers in the future.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    9,959
    Thanks
    1650

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I think that, unless people are going to college/university/&c. anyway (i.e., a legitimate reason for not entering the work force), a guaranteed basic income merely motivates people to delay entering the work force for no particular reason. While on the one hand this general reduction in work force could help bottom-end wages to rise, it encourages people to essentially do nothing at all. While this might be a good alternative to food stamps and (especially) unemployment, it might not be the best policy to enact.


    This would be a valid purpose, though it would be a more targeted policy approach that would solve a couple different problems at once. We could have more stay-at-home parents for better parenting, fewer problems finding work within reasonable transporatation range, and fewer administrative expenses on the government side since the paperwork would be drastically reduced by obviating the need for an application and approval process.
    Two good points.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  9. #9
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50,571
    Thanks
    36143

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Which is why we should be welcoming immigrants and refugees. Especially refugees from the ME since their populations are much younger.
    Thank you,beat me to it.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50,571
    Thanks
    36143

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    They need to be skilled though so they can get high paying jobs and pay more into the structure. We desperately need college educated immigrants in their 20s and 30s to help currently. Especially if they are in the medical field since we are running short. My doctor just announced her retirement and there is no doctors accepting new patients. So now I am on a waiting list. They told me to go to the ER or one of those 24 hour clinics if I need help. Ridiculous.
    I agree. Problem is with the way the system is set up the Companies under pay them, but you are right.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quebec to offer guaranteed basic income
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 12th December 2017, 04:01 PM
  2. Swiss Voters Reject 'Basic Income' Measure
    By excalibur in forum Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 6th June 2016, 12:13 PM
  3. Replies: 184
    Last Post: 22nd March 2016, 04:51 AM
  4. Unconditional Basic Income
    By Ambicatus in forum Opinion Polls
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 4th July 2015, 04:24 PM
  5. Guaranteed Basic Income
    By Suppiluliuma in forum Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 23rd November 2013, 06:51 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed