Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 78
Thanks Tree81Thanks

Thread: The Thesaurus Thread

  1. #31
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    53,392
    Thanks
    30676

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    I wasn't wrong and I don't apologize. That's the entire point. I am mocking the idea of forbidden words.

    I may be an arrogant know it all deserving of a plethora of put downs, but who gives a flying fig newton?

    It's word play! It's not my job. I'm here to entertain.

    I think the communication gap is just that and not much more. I was given my meager education before PC began to infest, corrupt, bend, shape, twist and impose.
    There's nothing tortured about the meaning explained to you. Nor did anyone ask that the word be banned.

    You are free to use it, but if you do, I will not be entertained. I will dismiss you as a racist.

  2. #32
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,237
    Thanks
    31531

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    If a primate escaped from the zoo and took up residence on my front porch, just because there's a certain two word phrase that would be accurate to use when describing it, doesn't mean I wouldn't search for an alternate term.

    Man! You don't even realize just how oppressed you are, do you?
    Thanks from boontito

  3. #33
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    88,577
    Thanks
    64455

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Man! You don't even realize just how oppressed you are, do you?
    Somehow, someday, I shall overcome.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  4. #34
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    34,237
    Thanks
    31531

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    Somehow, someday, I shall overcome.

    Keep hope alive, brother!

    Keep hope alive!!!
    Thanks from boontito

  5. #35
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,490
    Thanks
    3177

    From
    UK/Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    Been accused of using a secret code word that supposedly means something you didn't intend?

    Thus, the Thesaurus Thread. Here, you can figure out other ways of saying the forbidden word without offending any snowflakes or pinheads. Offensive word has been hidden.











    Words and the use of the English language are an interest of mine, but alas, I honestly have no idea of the term to which you are referring, or the precise point you are making.

    If that list of words are all meant to be synonyms of the word or term in question, I suggest you consult another thesaurus. Rogets has always been reliable.

    All those words do not have the same, or even similar, meaning, and I would be very surprised at anyone who chose to use audacious, overbearing, cavalier, or smug, as synonyms of each other. They simply mean quite different things. So could you please explain what you are getting at?
    Thanks from Madeline

  6. #36
    Master political analyst Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,805
    Thanks
    5044

    From
    The formerly great golden state
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    Words and the use of the English language are an interest of mine, but alas, I honestly have no idea of the term to which you are referring, or the precise point you are making.

    If that list of words are all meant to be synonyms of the word or term in question, I suggest you consult another thesaurus. Rogets has always been reliable.

    All those words do not have the same, or even similar, meaning, and I would be very surprised at anyone who chose to use audacious, overbearing, cavalier, or smug, as synonyms of each other. They simply mean quite different things. So could you please explain what you are getting at?
    Well, you see, it stems from a bit of American History. The term "uppity," often followed by the N word, was once applied to any black person who seemed to think he/she was as good as white folks. This was a term often used during the time of slavery and later during segregation. That same word was applied to our current black president. Some of us thought that term as it was used was racist. I'm sure you can see why.

    So, now the task is to find other words that mean the same thing but that don't refer to a person's race. It's a futile task, of course, since, as you pointed out, the words listed aren't really synonyms at all.

    Some words just need to be allowed to die out.
    Thanks from Leo2 and Davocrat

  7. #37
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    29,762
    Thanks
    3723

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Well, you see, it stems from a bit of American History. The term "uppity," often followed by the N word, was once applied to any black person who seemed to think he/she was as good as white folks. This was a term often used during the time of slavery and later during segregation. That same word was applied to our current black president. Some of us thought that term as it was used was racist. I'm sure you can see why.

    So, now the task is to find other words that mean the same thing but that don't refer to a person's race. It's a futile task, of course, since, as you pointed out, the words listed aren't really synonyms at all.

    Some words just need to be allowed to die out.
    But the dispute in question did not include the N word or any reference to the race of the proper noun the adjective was applied to. I can't see how anyone could object to a wrong use of a word. I certainly didn't. I am sure I misuse words all the time. And I appreciate corrections based on dictionaries and proper tools for writing. It is the application of a politician prophylactic that I object to. That is the evil of PC. Words suddenly have magical powers that have no connections to context, intent or even their normal, dictionary meanings. But the prophylactic has worked and I totally understand the desire to use power to get more power. I object on principle and on the basis of semantic truth.

  8. #38
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    29,762
    Thanks
    3723

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    Words and the use of the English language are an interest of mine, but alas, I honestly have no idea of the term to which you are referring, or the precise point you are making.

    If that list of words are all meant to be synonyms of the word or term in question, I suggest you consult another thesaurus. Rogets has always been reliable.

    All those words do not have the same, or even similar, meaning, and I would be very surprised at anyone who chose to use audacious, overbearing, cavalier, or smug, as synonyms of each other. They simply mean quite different things. So could you please explain what you are getting at?
    Uppity was the word. The online Thesaurus supplied these words as similar in meaning. I may not have searched for the best one. Used to be Roget's right?
    Thanks from Leo2

  9. #39
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    53,392
    Thanks
    30676

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Well, you see, it stems from a bit of American History. The term "uppity," often followed by the N word, was once applied to any black person who seemed to think he/she was as good as white folks. This was a term often used during the time of slavery and later during segregation. That same word was applied to our current black president. Some of us thought that term as it was used was racist. I'm sure you can see why.

    So, now the task is to find other words that mean the same thing but that don't refer to a person's race. It's a futile task, of course, since, as you pointed out, the words listed aren't really synonyms at all.

    Some words just need to be allowed to die out.
    The search is fruitless because the concept you wish to convey is inherently racist.

  10. #40
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    53,392
    Thanks
    30676

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    But the dispute in question did not include the N word or any reference to the race of the proper noun the adjective was applied to. I can't see how anyone could object to a wrong use of a word. I certainly didn't. I am sure I misuse words all the time. And I appreciate corrections based on dictionaries and proper tools for writing. It is the application of a politician prophylactic that I object to. That is the evil of PC. Words suddenly have magical powers that have no connections to context, intent or even their normal, dictionary meanings. But the prophylactic has worked and I totally understand the desire to use power to get more power. I object on principle and on the basis of semantic truth.
    Nobody is stifling you. Feel free to express racist ideas, as far as the mods will permit.

    I shall ignore you if you do, but so what?
    Thanks from Dittohead not!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed