Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68
Thanks Tree9Thanks

Thread: A's on the rise but SAT scores fall

  1. #1
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28354

    From
    New Hampshire

    A's on the rise but SAT scores fall

    The good news on America's report cards: More high school teachers are handing out A's. But the bad news is that students aren't necessarily learning more.

    Recent findings show that the proportion of high school seniors graduating with an A average ó that includes an A-minus or A-plus ó has grown sharply over the past generation, even as average SAT scores have fallen.

    In 1998, it was 38.9%. By last year, it had grown to 47%. Thatís right: Nearly half of Americaís Class of 2016 are A students. Meanwhile, their average SAT score fell from 1,026 to 1,002 on a 1,600-point scale ó suggesting that those A's on report cards might be fool's gold.

    A recent study by the Harvard Graduate School of Education found that just 56% of college students complete a four-year degree within six years of entering college. For students who start at two-year colleges, it's even worse: Just 29% earn a degree within three years. Examining the academic transcripts of high school graduates in the 18-year period from 1998 to 2016, they found that the average grade point average (GPA) rose from 3.27 to 3.38, even as the average SAT score dropped.

    previous research has tied high school GPA to the National Assessment of Educational Progress, a widely respected standardized test administered by the federal government. But the new research is the first to draw such a direct line between GPA and SAT scores.

    Recent research suggests that the problem isnít just showing up in high school. In colleges nationwide, the most popular grade is now an A, according to Stuart Rojstaczer, a former Duke University scholar and founder of the website GradeInflation.com. According to Rojstaczer, close to 50% of all college grades given are Aís, a far cry from even two decades ago, when the average GPA at a four-year college was 3.11.


    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...age/485787001/

  2. #2
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,666
    Thanks
    11226

    From
    By the wall
    I give out a plethora of A's when I have to grade.

    Especially if its a dumb assignment and its obvious they put effort into it.

    Everyone grades differently though.

    Many grade very mechanically, make this many errors, count them up, cross reference it with their grading card, and that's your grade.

    I think that's a stupid way to grade.

    I suppose I am screwed if I ever get challenged on a grade lol.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28354

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    I give out a plethora of A's when I have to grade.

    Especially if its a dumb assignment and its obvious they put effort into it.

    Everyone grades differently though.

    Many grade very mechanically, make this many errors, count them up, cross reference it with their grading card, and that's your grade.

    I think that's a stupid way to grade.

    I suppose I am screwed if I ever get challenged on a grade lol.
    A teacher at our school once told me "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" referring to parents that complain. When they did she would change their kids grade. Wasn't long before parents caught on and most did it. Makes me wonder in the age of the "helicopter parent" how often this happens?

  4. #4
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,666
    Thanks
    11226

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    A teacher at our school once told me "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" referring to parents that complain. When they did she would change their kids grade. Wasn't long before parents caught on and most did it. Makes me wonder in the age of the "helicopter parent" how often this happens?
    I've only graded some college stuff so that was never an issue.

    My ex taught middle school and said that dealing with the parents was by far the worse part of the job so I imagine you are correct.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,896
    Thanks
    12957

    From
    My own world
    I see it for myself. I used to have to work my ass off to get a B and on the occasion I got an A it was historic. Never did I get an A+. The average number in my class years ago were about 30 kids and out of that number maybe 1 or 2 kids had an A average. Now a days they hand out A's like candy and A+'s are common place.

    I don't think the kids are smarter, I think the teachers are easier at grading.
    Last edited by Eve1; 21st July 2017 at 06:54 AM.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28354

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    I see it for myself. I used to have to work my ass off to get a B and on the occasion I got an A it was historic. Never did I get an A+. The average number in my class years ago were about 30 kids and out of that number maybe 1 or 2 kids had an A average. Now a days they hand out A's like candy and A+'s are common place.

    I don't think the kids are smarter, I think the teachers are easier at grading.
    They have to be, parents are insane. When my son was in high school, there were groups of parents who wanted to sit in on the first week of class. Helicopter parents. Plus now with the internet and forums parents go on and rate teachers. "Johnny needs better grades for college, which are the best teachers for that?" kind of stuff.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,271
    Thanks
    3265

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    The good news on America's report cards: More high school teachers are handing out A's. But the bad news is that students aren't necessarily learning more.

    Recent findings show that the proportion of high school seniors graduating with an A average — that includes an A-minus or A-plus — has grown sharply over the past generation, even as average SAT scores have fallen.

    In 1998, it was 38.9%. By last year, it had grown to 47%. That’s right: Nearly half of America’s Class of 2016 are A students. Meanwhile, their average SAT score fell from 1,026 to 1,002 on a 1,600-point scale — suggesting that those A's on report cards might be fool's gold.

    A recent study by the Harvard Graduate School of Education found that just 56% of college students complete a four-year degree within six years of entering college. For students who start at two-year colleges, it's even worse: Just 29% earn a degree within three years. Examining the academic transcripts of high school graduates in the 18-year period from 1998 to 2016, they found that the average grade point average (GPA) rose from 3.27 to 3.38, even as the average SAT score dropped.

    previous research has tied high school GPA to the National Assessment of Educational Progress, a widely respected standardized test administered by the federal government. But the new research is the first to draw such a direct line between GPA and SAT scores.

    Recent research suggests that the problem isn’t just showing up in high school. In colleges nationwide, the most popular grade is now an A, according to Stuart Rojstaczer, a former Duke University scholar and founder of the website GradeInflation.com. According to Rojstaczer, close to 50% of all college grades given are A’s, a far cry from even two decades ago, when the average GPA at a four-year college was 3.11.


    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...age/485787001/
    bajisima,

    I heard the same thing on Freakenomics Radio almost 5 years ago. Not just grades are being inflated, but almost everything. A size 36 waste in clothing today would have been a 38 ten years ago. A 5 star hotel used to be the top of the line, but now they are advertising 6 and 7 star hotels, etc., etc.

    The Inflation of Everything - Freakonomics Freakonomics

    I do remember my best professor in college, my structures design professor, refused to grade on the curve. It wasn't uncommon that the highest grade on a test was in the mid-80s. It was one of the classes that really stuck with me.

  8. #8
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,708
    Thanks
    32789

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    I do remember my best professor in college, my structures design professor, refused to grade on the curve. It wasn't uncommon that the highest grade on a test was in the mid-80s.
    Grading on a curve is not logical.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,542
    Thanks
    37096

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    In colleges nationwide, the most popular grade is now an A
    Not in my classes. At my institution, a "B" average (3.00) puts you in the top 33%.
    Thanks from Isalexi and Chief

  10. #10
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,542
    Thanks
    37096

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Grading on a curve is not logical.
    Not when the learning required is precise and mathematical in nature, I agree. But what about in disciplines where any evaluation is, by nature, subjective?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The rise and fall of an oligarch...
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10th March 2017, 12:44 AM
  2. The rise and fall of candidate Trump
    By Bourne in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19th September 2015, 04:57 PM
  3. SAT reading scores fall to lowest level on record
    By michaelr in forum Education
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 16th September 2011, 08:10 PM
  4. The Rise and Fall of Oprah
    By USA-1 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10th January 2011, 11:12 AM
  5. The Rise and Fall of Mikhail Gorbachev
    By katiegrrl0 in forum World History
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21st June 2010, 01:04 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed