Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 114
Thanks Tree79Thanks

Thread: Private vs public schools

  1. #61
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    53,875
    Thanks
    19116

    From
    america
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Absolutely true. It doesn't require a lot of effort on the part of parents to make a big difference. Check their homework. Put papers with good grades on the fridge. Take them to a museum once in a while. Read with them. Let them see you reading. Little things.
    I will never forget the day my old man got me "addicted" to books:

    HE went to the pool, but, I had already been there, and, was fairly tired.

    So, he gave me a book, with a short story flagged, and told me to just try to read through the story.

    I do not even know what the story was (other than Sci-Fi!), but, I did read another short story, before he returned.

    A few days later, and I was starting on Frank Herbert's Dune......

  2. #62
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    18,047
    Thanks
    9669

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    I will never forget the day my old man got me "addicted" to books:

    HE went to the pool, but, I had already been there, and, was fairly tired.

    So, he gave me a book, with a short story flagged, and told me to just try to read through the story.

    I do not even know what the story was (other than Sci-Fi!), but, I did read another short story, before he returned.

    A few days later, and I was starting on Frank Herbert's Dune......
    I was addicted to books at a early age as well. Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Little House on the Prairie, Little Women, Ann of Green Gables, and the Judy Blume novels were all my favorites. To this day, I can't sleep unless I read a little before. I look forward to summer break and start my reading list way before the end of the school year. My Dad motivated my grades by paying me. LOL I received $$$ for every A and B I earned. Some would frown upon that, but he felt it developed a work ethic and I guess it did.
    Thanks from Rorschach

  3. #63
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    20,963
    Thanks
    8130

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    It says a lot when the politicians in charge of our education system send their own kids to private schools.
    None of the people on our BOE send kids to the public schools.

    These schools are fucked up. My son's teacher has 22 kids in the class, she has no help, and she's responsible for a non-verbal autistic kid who wears diapers. If a kids home is non English speaking then the schools have to provide that language. The budget set aside for special education is incredible. They're trying so hard to mainstream these kids that it's costing other students.

  4. #64
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    31,115
    Thanks
    24434

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    I was addicted to books at a early age as well. Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Little House on the Prairie, Little Women, Ann of Green Gables, and the Judy Blume novels were all my favorites. To this day, I can't sleep unless I read a little before. I look forward to summer break and start my reading list way before the end of the school year. My Dad motivated my grades by paying me. LOL I received $$$ for every A and B I earned. Some would frown upon that, but he felt it developed a work ethic and I guess it did.
    I loved Nancy drew, and the encyclopedia.

  5. #65
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,622
    Thanks
    3020

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    None of the people on our BOE send kids to the public schools.

    These schools are fucked up. My son's teacher has 22 kids in the class, she has no help, and she's responsible for a non-verbal autistic kid who wears diapers. If a kids home is non English speaking then the schools have to provide that language. The budget set aside for special education is incredible. They're trying so hard to mainstream these kids that it's costing other students.
    Even people with lots of cash who live in upscale preppy little districts that people are dying to get into...send their kids to private schools. It's weird. They shell it out to live in these Norman Rockwell neighborhoods, $15-20K in taxes (or more), and then they don't take advantage of the schools.

    Meh.

    Most of them are fucking weird anyway. Lots of collagen and ugly designer jeans...

  6. #66
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    18,047
    Thanks
    9669

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    I loved Nancy drew, and the encyclopedia.
    I have a whole set of encyclopedia's stored. My Mom bought them one by one from our local grocery store every week. I loved getting the new one.
    Thanks from Leo2

  7. #67
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    42,408
    Thanks
    25022

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    None of the people on our BOE send kids to the public schools.

    These schools are fucked up. My son's teacher has 22 kids in the class, she has no help, and she's responsible for a non-verbal autistic kid who wears diapers. If a kids home is non English speaking then the schools have to provide that language. The budget set aside for special education is incredible. They're trying so hard to mainstream these kids that it's costing other students.
    True that's prevalent all over New England which is why I suspect private and charter schools do so well here.

  8. #68
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    53,875
    Thanks
    19116

    From
    america
    I never got in to Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys, but there was another series, by the same publisher, I think that I absoultely consumed: The Adventures of Tom Corbett, Space Cadet!

  9. #69
    New Member jet57's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    351
    Thanks
    44

    From
    Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Boy have times changed. Now it seems a lot of people prefer private schools, all ours have enormous waiting lists. Fifteen years ago when my eldest was in jr high they were begging for students as they had tons of openings. What's changed?

    "As another school year begins, Americans believe private schools provide students with the best K-12 education of five different types of schools in the U.S. The 71% who rate the quality of private school education as excellent or good exceeds the ratings for parochial, charter, home and public schooling, in that order. The 71% of Americans who rate private school education positively is only a bit higher than the 63% positive rating for parochial schools but far outpaces the percentages for charter schools (55%), home schooling (46%) and public schools (44%)."

    There are greater differences by party identification. Republicans are more positive than Democrats about parochial, charter and home schooling, and Democrats are more positive than Republicans about public schooling.

    Still, both party groups rank private schooling as the most effective, with 76% of Republicans and 68% of Democrats saying it provides students with an excellent or good education. Parochial schools rank second for both. However, charter schools rank third among Republicans, followed by home schooling and then public schools. For Democrats, charter schools tie with public schools at 48%, while home schooling is rated worst at 38%.

    Private Schools First, Public Schools Last in K-12 Ratings | Gallup
    I think that the answer is very simple really; I've attended both.

    Private schools not only cost money, but come with contracts and the kids are required to behave themselves. As such, parents don't really have that much influence unless they grease the right palms, and if not, it's easier to throw kids out and "private schools mean "status"...

    When the country decide that education is a priority that doesn't necessarily need more money, just better leadership, then public schools will be better.

  10. #70
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,662
    Thanks
    1028

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    "private schools mean "status"
    That's because the modern private school exists in the context of subsidized public education. The vast majority of people cannot afford to pay both property taxes to support a school system and the tuition charged by a private school. Vouchers would democratize private schools.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DeVos' impact on public schools
    By Dittohead not! in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th February 2017, 07:35 AM
  2. Real free market schools outperform public schools
    By NonPartisanCapitalist in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 8th October 2012, 02:20 PM
  3. Public Schools
    By Faithful One in forum Education
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12th May 2009, 12:01 PM
  4. How Would You Reform Our Public Schools?
    By Mrs Behavin in forum Education
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 29th April 2009, 08:04 AM
  5. More Nazi Tactics In Public schools
    By conservative in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 14th March 2008, 01:50 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed