Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Thanks Tree23Thanks

Thread: Law Professor Absolutely Destroys Student Letter

  1. #1
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,713
    Thanks
    32801

    From
    Vulcan

    Law Professor Absolutely Destroys Student Letter

    Law Professor Absolutely Destroys Student Letter Protesting Her Wearing a 'Black Lives Matter' T-Shirt

    A little while ago some first year law students saw fit to write a letter to their professor, protesting the professor’s wearing of a ‘Black Lives Matter’ t-shirt during lectures.

    The letter called the t-shirt ‘highly offensive’ and ‘inappropriate’.

    In and of itself, that is not a particularly remarkable story. It’s just some idiots painfully trying to conflate awareness campaigns with this nebulous concept of ‘divisiveness’—really stretching the English language and logic itself to breaking point to try and argue that simply pointing out injustice is a terribly political act that seeks to drive a wedge in society; that it’s best to stay quiet and respectable, and wait for the system to do the right thing. Of course they trot out the old favourite too—with ‘All Lives Matter’ making a delightful appearance.

    So far, so stupid, so vanilla.

    Where this takes an absolutely delightful turn is when the letter-writing freshmen decide to bring the full weight of their knowledge of the law, and the might of their unmatched powers of debate, against their professor. And then the professor decides that here is an opportune chance to do what she, as a scholar at a higher institute of education, does best:

    Take some punkass bitches to school.




    Click the link to read the whole piece, which includes students' letter and the professor's response. Truly well done.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15,333
    Thanks
    4092

    From
    Boise, ID
    Silly throughout. But somewhat entertaining, I admit.

    Looks to me like this is probably Vermont Law School, based on the not-quite-perfect redaction...

    Capture.jpg

  3. #3
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    95,628
    Thanks
    73436

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    That was pretty awesome.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  4. #4
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    95,628
    Thanks
    73436

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Silly throughout. But somewhat entertaining, I admit.

    Looks to me like this is probably Vermont Law School, based on the not-quite-perfect redaction...

    Capture.jpg
    At the end of the article it says it's from Whittier Law School.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,271
    Thanks
    3265

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Law Professor Absolutely Destroys Student Letter Protesting Her Wearing a 'Black Lives Matter' T-Shirt

    A little while ago some first year law students saw fit to write a letter to their professor, protesting the professor’s wearing of a ‘Black Lives Matter’ t-shirt during lectures.

    The letter called the t-shirt ‘highly offensive’ and ‘inappropriate’.

    In and of itself, that is not a particularly remarkable story. It’s just some idiots painfully trying to conflate awareness campaigns with this nebulous concept of ‘divisiveness’—really stretching the English language and logic itself to breaking point to try and argue that simply pointing out injustice is a terribly political act that seeks to drive a wedge in society; that it’s best to stay quiet and respectable, and wait for the system to do the right thing. Of course they trot out the old favourite too—with ‘All Lives Matter’ making a delightful appearance.

    So far, so stupid, so vanilla.

    Where this takes an absolutely delightful turn is when the letter-writing freshmen decide to bring the full weight of their knowledge of the law, and the might of their unmatched powers of debate, against their professor. And then the professor decides that here is an opportune chance to do what she, as a scholar at a higher institute of education, does best:

    Take some punkass bitches to school.




    Click the link to read the whole piece, which includes students' letter and the professor's response. Truly well done.
    Mr. Jeffrey,

    Wow, just like a lawyer. You send out one sentence, a lawyer sends back ten.

    Somebody should remind the law professor there are no billable hours here.
    Thanks from Robert Urbanek

  6. #6
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,713
    Thanks
    32801

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Wow, just like a lawyer. You send out one sentence, a lawyer sends back ten.
    All of which clearly refute and properly instruct the students who sent the letter - which was not, to the professor's dismay, written in a lawyerly fashion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Somebody should remind the law professor there are no billable hours here.
    I am reasonably certain her salary more than adequately compensates her for properly instructing her students.

  7. #7
    Member Claudius the God's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,689
    Thanks
    2153

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Law Professor Absolutely Destroys Student Letter Protesting Her Wearing a 'Black Lives Matter' T-Shirt

    A little while ago some first year law students saw fit to write a letter to their professor, protesting the professor’s wearing of a ‘Black Lives Matter’ t-shirt during lectures.

    The letter called the t-shirt ‘highly offensive’ and ‘inappropriate’.

    In and of itself, that is not a particularly remarkable story. It’s just some idiots painfully trying to conflate awareness campaigns with this nebulous concept of ‘divisiveness’—really stretching the English language and logic itself to breaking point to try and argue that simply pointing out injustice is a terribly political act that seeks to drive a wedge in society; that it’s best to stay quiet and respectable, and wait for the system to do the right thing. Of course they trot out the old favourite too—with ‘All Lives Matter’ making a delightful appearance.

    So far, so stupid, so vanilla.

    Where this takes an absolutely delightful turn is when the letter-writing freshmen decide to bring the full weight of their knowledge of the law, and the might of their unmatched powers of debate, against their professor. And then the professor decides that here is an opportune chance to do what she, as a scholar at a higher institute of education, does best:

    Take some punkass bitches to school.




    Click the link to read the whole piece, which includes students' letter and the professor's response. Truly well done.
    Thanks for sharing that, it reminds me of just how wonderful some Professors can be in teaching critical thinking skills.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    28,643
    Thanks
    9770

    From
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Jeffrey,

    Wow, just like a lawyer. You send out one sentence, a lawyer sends back ten.

    Somebody should remind the law professor there are no billable hours here.
    I think you missed this part:
    I do not subscribe to the “consumer model” of legal education. As a consequence, I believe in your entitlement to assert your needs and desires even more strongly than you do. You would be just as entitled to express yourself to us if the law school were entirely tuition free This is because you are a student, not because you are a consumer. Besides, the natural and logical extension of your premise IS that students on a full scholarship are not entitled to assert their needs and desires to the same extent as other students (or maybe even at all). So, as you can see, arguments premised on consumerism are not likely to influence me. On the contrary, such a premise causes me to believe that you have a diminished view of legal education and the source of our responsibility as legal educators. This allows me to take any criticism from such a perspective less seriously than I otherwise would.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    28,643
    Thanks
    9770

    From
    Earth
    Enjoyable. Nice to see the professor turn a ignorant incident into a teachable moment.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  10. #10
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,888
    Thanks
    5072

    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Jeffrey,

    Wow, just like a lawyer. You send out one sentence, a lawyer sends back ten.

    Somebody should remind the law professor there are no billable hours here.
    And making contracts far more complicated to the average person. All in an attempt to trap them in mistakes to the benefit of the originator of the contract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 120
    Last Post: 4th April 2016, 07:26 AM
  2. 58 year old professor and 17 year old student
    By The Man in forum Europe & Russia
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17th February 2016, 09:39 AM
  3. Professor's Lives Matter - Mississippi professor murdered
    By NightSwimmer in forum Current Events
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 16th September 2015, 12:27 PM
  4. SEC Destroys 9,000 Fraud Files
    By michaelr in forum Economics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th August 2011, 06:07 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th May 2011, 05:45 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed