Members banned from this thread: Pragmatist


Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 114
Thanks Tree121Thanks

Thread: AZ DoE now leads the nation in denying Evolution

  1. #11
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    96,479
    Thanks
    74885

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    I wonder of the Arizona Dept of Education has considered that their decision may result in some schools "naturally selecting" students from more academically-inclined states.
    The patriotic side of me thinks this is a travesty for our nation.

    The parental side of me thanks the Arizona DOE for lessening the competition my children will face for college scholarships.
    Thanks from Djinn, Ian Jeffrey and Friday13

  2. #12
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,167
    Thanks
    31829

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Waiting for the official explanation of how life came from non life. How the elements of the periodic table assembled themselves and started biology.
    That's really a different question, Thor. Paleontologists, people who study the history of life, are really not very interested in the origin of life. Do you find that puzzling? You shouldn't! Just as someone who is an expert in the history of imperial Rome might not be very interested in the ORIGIN of Rome. Which is actually still pretty murky, by the way. Rome probably originated as a farming VILLAGE ~1000 BC or so in Bronze Age Italy, but we don't even really know!! We DO know that Rome eventually became a mighty empire, of course.

    The kind of extremely silly argument you're making is analogous to this: because we really don't know very much about the ORIGIN of Rome, by golly, we shouldn't be teaching our children about the HISTORY of Rome!

    You see how STUPID that is, Thor?

  3. #13
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,330
    Thanks
    34014

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    That's really a different question, Thor. Paleontologists, people who study the history of life, are really not very interested in the origin of life. Do you find that puzzling? You shouldn't! Just as someone who is an expert in the history of imperial Rome might not be very interested in the ORIGIN of Rome. Which is actually still pretty murky, by the way. Rome probably originated as a farming VILLAGE ~1000 BC or so in Bronze Age Italy, but we don't even really know!! We DO know that Rome eventually became a mighty empire, of course.

    The kind of extremely silly argument you're making is analogous to this: because we really don't know very much about the ORIGIN of Rome, by golly, we shouldn't be teaching our children about the HISTORY of Rome!

    You see how STUPID that is, Thor?
    Not to mention trying to use an argument from ignorance to justify teaching religion in public schools instead of science....
    Thanks from Friday13, Blues63, BigLeRoy and 2 others

  4. #14
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    27,617
    Thanks
    5174

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    That's really a different question, Thor. Paleontologists, people who study the history of life, are really not very interested in the origin of life. Do you find that puzzling? You shouldn't! Just as someone who is an expert in the history of imperial Rome might not be very interested in the ORIGIN of Rome. Which is actually still pretty murky, by the way. Rome probably originated as a farming VILLAGE ~1000 BC or so in Bronze Age Italy, but we don't even really know!! We DO know that Rome eventually became a mighty empire, of course.

    The kind of extremely silly argument you're making is analogous to this: because we really don't know very much about the ORIGIN of Rome, by golly, we shouldn't be teaching our children about the HISTORY of Rome!

    You see how STUPID that is, Thor?
    Not only a different question , a very critical question. If humans evolved from organic slime where did the life for that slime come from? That question is impossible to answer and reproduce. So forget about it you say. Your Rome analogy is moronic.
    Last edited by THOR; 25th May 2018 at 04:17 PM.

  5. #15
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    38,943
    Thanks
    24019

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Stupid is this post. Not only a different question , a very critical question. If humans evolved from organic slime where did the life for that slime come from? That question is impossible to answer and reproduce. So forget about it you say. Your Rome analogy is moronic.
    Possibly from an asteroid. Or so I heard on some TV show...

  6. #16
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    27,617
    Thanks
    5174

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Possibly from an asteroid. Or so I heard on some TV show...
    If you are going to promote evolution, you have to take it all the way. You can't just conveniently quit when theories and evidence run out. If you want to say it all started with the Big Bang....
    where did the mass for this come from? Why did the elements of the periodic table happen to be there. It is beyond our grasp at some point.

  7. #17
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,330
    Thanks
    34014

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    If you are going to promote evolution, you have to take it all the way. You can't just conveniently quit when theories and evidence run out. If you want to say it all started with the Big Bang....
    This makes no sense. Science is not a religion, and religion is not science. Quit trying to conflate the two in order to draw a false equivalence.
    Thanks from boontito, Friday13 and Blues63

  8. #18
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    27,617
    Thanks
    5174

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    This makes no sense. Science is not a religion, and religion is not science. Quit trying to conflate the two in order to draw a false equivalence.
    Just sayin, if you are going to teach a theory, you can't just drop it where you want. You will have to keep going back further in time. Not lumping the two together. At some point the 7th grade kid will ask his teacher how life came from non life. Along the way the evidence trail gets pretty thin.

  9. #19
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,330
    Thanks
    34014

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Just sayin...
    Nobody "just says" anything. That phrase is one of the stupidest American idioms ever.

    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    if you are going to teach a theory, you can't just drop it where you want.
    You clearly do not understand what the word "theory" means in science. It is not merely a hypothesis someone thought up one day and spurred on a search for confirmatory facts. That is what contemporary religion does when it seeks to make its religious beliefs into science, which is merely an attempt to destroy science that degrades religion.

    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    You will have to keep going back further in time.
    Science is about observable facts, not religious beliefs. In religion, "I do not know" is anathema; in science (and the rest of life), it is the beginning of wisdom.

    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Along the way the evidence trail gets pretty thin.
    This from someone pushing a religious belief that not only depends on no evidence, but to which evidence is anathema.
    Thanks from Leo2, Friday13, Lunchboxxy and 1 others

  10. #20
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    27,617
    Thanks
    5174

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Nobody "just says" anything. That phrase is one of the stupidest American idioms ever.


    You clearly do not understand what the word "theory" means in science. It is not merely a hypothesis someone thought up one day and spurred on a search for confirmatory facts. That is what contemporary religion does when it seeks to make its religious beliefs into science, which is merely an attempt to destroy science that degrades religion.


    Science is about observable facts, not religious beliefs. In religion, "I do not know" is anathema; in science (and the rest of life), it is the beginning of wisdom.


    This from someone pushing a religious belief that not only depends on no evidence, but to which evidence is anathema.
    I never once mentioned religion, god , creation. The theory of evolution was the topic. If man evolved from something before it, then you have to keep going back in time. Keep going back in time and observable facts run thin. If you want to teach evolution as fact , you better come up with a lot of them.
    Last edited by THOR; 25th May 2018 at 07:15 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. California Leads the Nation in Poverty
    By Libertine in forum Current Events
    Replies: 295
    Last Post: 9th February 2018, 09:44 AM
  2. Revolution, Evolution or Revolutionary Evolution?
    By nomoba in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th November 2014, 12:48 PM
  3. Replies: 155
    Last Post: 12th October 2014, 10:00 AM
  4. The evolution of the nation's 'first gay president'
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 4th March 2013, 03:41 PM
  5. USA - Edge nation vs. Center nation
    By Strife in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26th April 2011, 05:03 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed