Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 81
Thanks Tree14Thanks

Thread: Are the English Fit to Govern Themselves?

  1. #31
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,261
    Thanks
    2170

    From
    Switzerland
    Reading your posts make me things that you are more living on an exo-planet than me..... ! Will you go beyond your Bayerisch folklore and go back to What Bayern brought to the rest of humanity....... beside the way you integrated the Holy Catholic Church......... which is close to bigotry....

  2. #32
    Established Member
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,729
    Thanks
    3639

    From
    out
    Quote Originally Posted by Æthelfrith View Post
    It was tosh. You clearly have no quality control.
    So sorry.

    Is the Guardian okay with your control?

    English nationalism is rising: but hard Brexit is not the way to assuage it

    Over several centuries the English have been taught that their nationhood is expressed in entities that are larger than England. Empire, the Anglosphere, the Commonwealth and, of course, Britain have all been presented as havens for the English idea. But this no longer holds. Brexit represented the culmination of the unforeseen development of a deep-seated contrarianism and growing feeling for self-government among the English.

    But have the Conservatives read this emerging national mood correctly? By making the reduction on inward migration a priority, they do appear to be moving in step with it. But in opting for a version of Brexit that involves leaving the customs union and the single market they may well find that they are running against, not with, the tides of English opinion.

    For this form of Brexit requires a reassertion of the ethos of the unitary state, and is the antithesis to the kind of flexible, pragmatic statecraft that has kept the union together for so long. The English themselves still, for the most part, favour the union and want the Scots to be part of it, even though many now want a clearer English dimension reflected in it.

    A second area where the government’s approach may well lead it away from English sentiment arises from the vision of the UK as a low-tax, deregulated, free-trading state chancellor Philip Hammond and some leading Brexiters have advanced. Such a political economy will accentuate the concerns about the uncertainty and pace of change which globalisation has engendered, and is likely to worsen the huge inequalities of wealth, power and opportunity that have stimulated a rising sense of grievance.

    A Brexit that preserves access to the UK’s largest export market, promotes a fairer deal within England, and develops a more devolved UK is most likely to find favour with those May calls the “just about managing”. But the kind of Brexit towards which the government is currently propelling the country looks increasingly unlikely to deliver on these ambitions.
    So the question still stands: Are the English fit for self-government?

  3. #33
    Scucca Æthelfrith's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,944
    Thanks
    1460

    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    So sorry.

    Is the Guardian okay with your control?

    English nationalism is rising: but hard Brexit is not the way to assuage it



    So the question still stands: Are the English fit for self-government?
    You really are a bore. You think googled media reports from an arsey reporter is going to impress? The problem is that you have allowed a narrow mindedness to blinker your viewpoint. Perhaps spend more time worrying about French fascists?

  4. #34
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,587
    Thanks
    213

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    Reading your posts make me things that you are more living on an exo-planet than me..... ! Will you go beyond your Bayerisch folklore and go back to What Bayern brought to the rest of humanity....... beside the way you integrated the Holy Catholic Church......... which is close to bigotry....
    If you say so, Prussian. By the way: Your hate will kill you. A man from the mountains goes normally slowly - step by step - without mistakes - and always with a lot of trust in god. There are reasons for, how everyone in Switzerland normally knows. In the mountains every mistake is able to be the last mistake. And it's for sure a gigantic mistake from you to attack the holy catholic church. You miss your trust in god because you don't trust in god - and not because we are Catholics, whether we are Irish, Birish, Stirish ... or Swiss, Raetoromans, Italians, French or Germans or ... Asians, Americans or Africans ... or ... . If you like to find your trust in god then don't attack others in your little jihad - try the big jihad: attack yourself!

    Last edited by zaangalewa; 28th June 2017 at 12:52 AM.

  5. #35
    Established Member
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,729
    Thanks
    3639

    From
    out
    Quote Originally Posted by Æthelfrith View Post
    You really are a bore. You think googled media reports from an arsey reporter is going to impress? The problem is that you have allowed a narrow mindedness to blinker your viewpoint. Perhaps spend more time worrying about French fascists?
    Pardon milord, it's just hard to find brainy reporters from lowly newspapers such as the Guardian, the Independent and the NYT who pander to the heavenly ideals of Brexiteers.

    I trust you will be more successful with the Sun, the Express and the DailyMail whose very large readership speaks in favor of the overall openmindedness of the average Brexit voter.

    Now if for some strange aversion to spotlights you'd rather adress French fascists instead, I will gladly remark that they with no exception all favor some sort of Frexit as well. And that they are in this peculiar quest in full agreement with their extreme far left counterparts. You know, people who are but in name the brothers in arms of them full blown fascists.

    If they talk, walk and vote like fascists, chances are they're fascists, too.

  6. #36
    Scucca Æthelfrith's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,944
    Thanks
    1460

    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    Pardon milord, it's just hard to find brainy reporters from lowly newspapers such as the Guardian, the Independent and the NYT who pander to the heavenly ideals of Brexiteers.

    I trust you will be more successful with the Sun, the Express and the DailyMail whose very large readership speaks in favor of the overall openmindedness of the average Brexit voter.

    Now if for some strange aversion to spotlights you'd rather adress French fascists instead, I will gladly remark that they with no exception all favor some sort of Frexit as well. And that they are in this peculiar quest in full agreement with their extreme far left counterparts. You know, people who are but in name the brothers in arms of them full blown fascists.

    If they talk, walk and vote like fascists, chances are they're fascists, too.
    Just more inanity. Happily ignore you!

  7. #37
    Established Member
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,729
    Thanks
    3639

    From
    out
    I accept your surrender.

  8. #38
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,261
    Thanks
    2170

    From
    Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by zaangalewa View Post
    If you say so, Prussian. By the way: Your hate will kill you. A man from the mountains goes normally slowly - step by step - without mistakes - and always with a lot of trust in god. There are reasons for, how everyone in Switzerland normally knows. In the mountains every mistake is able to be the last mistake. And it's for sure a gigantic mistake from you to attack the holy catholic church. You miss your trust in god because you don't trust in god - and not because we are Catholics, whether we are Irish, Birish, Stirish ... or Swiss, Raetoromans, Italians, French or Germans or ... Asians, Americans or Africans ... or ... . If you like to find your trust in god then don't attack others in your little jihad - try the big jihad: attack yourself!

    I am not Catholic...... And you should realize, even if I respect your religious conviction, that modern Switzerland was built on protestant values and that during a longtimeCatholics were the people left behind in the movement. which made my country a successful one. it does not mean that I have not Alpine values in my mind, buzt I am jsut different from Bavarian, who shaped their identity partly on Catholicism...

  9. #39
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,587
    Thanks
    213

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by galatin View Post
    I am not Catholic.
    No one is perfect.

    ..... And you should realize, even if I respect your religious conviction, that modern Switzerland was built on protestant values
    Your problem - not my problem. When Switzerland became independent existed no protestants. And modern Switzerland is built today and will be built in the future - what changes nothing in any tradition of Switzerland, whether it is a Catholic tradition or a Protestant tradition.

    and that during a longtimeCatholics were the people left behind in the movement. which made my country a successful one.
    So in your view to the world Catholics made Switzerland not successful, but Protestants made Switzerland successful. What do you call "successful"?

    it does not mean that I have not Alpine values in my mind,
    Alpine values?

    buzt I am jsut different from Bavarian, who shaped their identity partly on Catholicism...
    No one expects from you to be a Bavarian nor expects anyone from you to be a Catholic.

    Last edited by zaangalewa; 4th July 2017 at 01:25 AM.

  10. #40
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,261
    Thanks
    2170

    From
    Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by zaangalewa View Post
    No one is perfect.



    Your problem - not my problem. When Switzerland became independent existed no protestants. And modern Switzerland is built today and will be built in the future - what changes nothing in any tradition of Switzerland, whether it is a Catholic tradition or a Protestant tradition.



    So in your view to the world Catholics made Switzerland not successful, but Protestants made Switzerland successful. What do you call "successful"?



    Alpine values?



    No one expects from you to be a Bavarian nor expects anyone from you to be a Catholic.

    A bit short your argument saying that Switzerland was at first Catholic.....To give you a example of some différences between Catholic cantons and protestant ones there was 95% of the recruits who could read and write in my canton Waadt in 1820 because it was compusory to be able to read the Bible, when in Wallis which is Catolic 2/3 couldn't read or write.... When industrialization started it made a big difference. It is why I can consider that Catholic cantons were left behind.... So look at that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCl6J7cb8Us and you will realize that there are some Alpine values we share with many others....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Would Trump Govern the Way He Has Campaigned?
    By kmiller1610 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 2nd August 2017, 01:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th February 2017, 07:15 PM
  3. After Friday? Trump actually has to govern...
    By GordonGecko in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 19th January 2017, 08:12 AM
  4. Analysis: If reelected, would Obama be able to govern?
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd July 2012, 06:05 AM
  5. Going Govern-mental?l
    By Liberal Doses in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 13th March 2012, 10:53 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed