Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Thanks Tree16Thanks

Thread: U.K. Victim of Child Porn Kills Abuser

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,807
    Thanks
    32688

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio

    U.K. Victim of Child Porn Kills Abuser

    "Barbara Coombes Sentenced to Nine Years For Murder of Her Father", the Guardian, July 2018.

    (Can't link, but that is the title of the news report.)

    Barbara Coombes killed her father, Kenneth, after more than 40 years of horrific sex abuse that included using her as a model for child pornographers.

    Convicted of manslaughter with dimished responsibility, the judge gave Coombes a prison sentence that, to my eye, looks as if it would be harsh for a British first degree murder conviction.

    I don't often complain British justice is too harsh. It's normally a much, much more lenient system than ours, IMO.

    But that's what makes this case discussion-worthy to me.

    So, what say you? Was Coombes' sentence too harsh?

    IMO, she should have gotten time served and been released.

    Your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Micro Machines Champion, Race Against Time Champion Tedminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    24,907
    Thanks
    14995

    From
    South Florida
    Hmmm nine years.. so eligible for parole in a couple? Sounds reasonable.
    Thanks from boontito

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70,394
    Thanks
    34271

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    "Barbara Coombes Sentenced to Nine Years For Murder of Her Father", the Guardian, July 2018.

    (Can't link, but that is the title of the news report.)

    Barbara Coombes killed her father, Kenneth, after more than 40 years of horrific sex abuse that included using her as a model for child pornographers.

    Convicted of manslaughter with dimished responsibility, the judge gave Coombes a prison sentence that, to my eye, looks as if it would be harsh for a British first degree murder conviction.

    I don't often complain British justice is too harsh. It's normally a much, much more lenient system than ours, IMO.

    But that's what makes this case discussion-worthy to me.

    So, what say you? Was Coombes' sentence too harsh?

    IMO, she should have gotten time served and been released.

    Your thoughts?
    Was it proven she was abused so badly?
    Thanks from Madeline

  4. #4
    Junior Member Slartibartfast's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,658
    Thanks
    507

    From
    UK
    9 years. She'll be out in 4 1/5 years for good behaviour.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,807
    Thanks
    32688

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedminator View Post
    Hmmm nine years.. so eligible for parole in a couple? Sounds reasonable.
    I don't know how early she could be released. I think 9 years means 9 years, but possibly not.

    No matter. Why should she do a single day in prison, on these facts?

  6. #6
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,904
    Thanks
    37100

    From
    United States
    Here's a link to the story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...orn/782713002/

    And an excerpt:

    Her father Kenneth was in the lounge when she confronted him with her spade.

    In two strikes one in the back of the head and another to slashing his throat Coombes killed him. She then wrapped his body in a rug and brought him outside where she had been working.

    A day later, Coombes bought a ton of soil to bury him in the backyard. Police said she told her family that Kenneth had died in the hospital and was cremated to explain his sudden demise.

    But for 12 years, Coombes' lived in the dead man's house, collected his welfare benefits and used his money, police said. Overall, Coombes racked up 180,000 pounds, or nearly $238,000, in fraudulent benefits.

    Coombes also lied about her father's whereabouts to welfare officers because she could never produce official records of his death, the Guardian reported. At one point, she claimed he was away on a Buddhist retreat when housing officers asked.

    Then in January this year, a welfare officer demanded to see her father, who would have been 99, at a scheduled meeting. Coombes, knowing she had no other ways out of the visit, turned herself into police a day before the meeting.

    I think that she'd have likely received some sympathy in court for admitting to a passionate act of violence in killing her father under those circumstances, but she lied and fraudulently collected his benefits for years rather than confessing to the killing.
    Thanks from Tedminator, johnflesh and Wonderer

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Micro Machines Champion, Race Against Time Champion Tedminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    24,907
    Thanks
    14995

    From
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I don't know how early she could be released. I think 9 years means 9 years, but possibly not.

    No matter. Why should she do a single day in prison, on these facts?
    because going vigilante is illegal.
    Thanks from boontito

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,807
    Thanks
    32688

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Was it proven she was abused so badly?
    If I understand correctly, yes. The verdict of manslaughter with dimished capacity means the jury found this partial defense was proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Thanks from Hollywood

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,807
    Thanks
    32688

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    9 years. She'll be out in 4 1/5 years for good behaviour.
    Are you British, @Slartibartfast?

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,807
    Thanks
    32688

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedminator View Post
    because going vigilante is illegal.
    Okay. That's a valid point.

    But he was 87 at his death. No risk he would harm her or any other child again, I wouldn't think. So, strictly speaking, you disapprove of revenge as a partial defense.

    And me, on facts like these, I think it should have been a complete defense. Or at worst, adjudication withheld, so that if she is law-abiding the rest of her life, she does no time.
    Thanks from Tedminator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 365
    Last Post: 30th November 2017, 08:00 AM
  2. Porn star rape victim
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th October 2014, 05:52 PM
  3. What Should We Do About Chil-Made Child Porn?
    By Madeline in forum Opinion Polls
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th July 2014, 10:01 AM
  4. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 6th December 2013, 10:15 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed