Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 105
Thanks Tree65Thanks

Thread: CTE. The Elephant in the Room.

  1. #11
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    18,929
    Thanks
    5268

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Should we outlaw swings on the playground? There have been death from falling off of these. Should we outlaw bicycle? Kids have died on these. How long should the list of things that we outlaw because a small number of deaths result be? Are we going to wrap children in bubble wrap we send them out for the day?
    True, you can't outlaw everything that could possibly harm someone.

    The biggest threat to football is from the mothers of America.

    If enough of them decide not to allow their kids to play football, THAT could be the biggest threat.

    One reason that youth soccer is popular is that the mothers think it is a safer sport.

    But football is not going anywhere anytime soon.

    It's too big, too popular, generates too much money.

    M O N E Y

  2. #12
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    31,274
    Thanks
    6606

    From
    A Month Away
    When I was a kid we rode bicycles everywhere. We jumped ramps that were no more than a board sitting on top of cinderblocks. And if anyone had worn a helmet they might as well have painted their bicycle pink because even the girls would have laughed at them.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly and MeBelle

  3. #13
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    40,210
    Thanks
    23706

    From
    New Hampshire
    Life itself is dangerous. So I really think wrapping everyone in a plastic bubble makes it boring. We can certainly find new ways of making things safer for players but not doing it at all isn't a solution. Hockey, cycling,rugby, lacrosse will be on the chopping block next. Lets stop taking the "life" out of life.

  4. #14
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63,677
    Thanks
    44169

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Should we outlaw swings on the playground? There have been death from falling off of these. Should we outlaw bicycle? Kids have died on these. How long should the list of things that we outlaw because a small number of deaths result be? Are we going to wrap children in bubble wrap we send them out for the day?
    No, we haven't banned swings, but we changed the surfaces they sit on. We've changed playgrounds considerably over the years and I have no doubt they have saved lives and spared thousands of kids serious injuries.

    I don't think football should be banned altogether but I think they can improve some rules of the game and the safety equipment.

    Now boxing, I never did get that and I don't see how any rules changes or safety equipment could improve that.
    Thanks from Friday13

  5. #15
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    40,210
    Thanks
    23706

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    No, we haven't banned swings, but we changed the surfaces they sit on. We've changed playgrounds considerably over the years and I have no doubt they have saved lives and spared thousands of kids serious injuries.

    I don't think football should be banned altogether but I think they can improve some rules of the game and the safety equipment.

    Now boxing, I never did get that and I don't see how any rules changes or safety equipment could improve that.
    Actually quite a few districts did ban swings at school as injury can result. Our school got rid of the "monkey bars" because kids fell. There are actually some parents who don't want their kids to have recess, they want them to read or learn something. Its a wonder there aren't more obese children.

    Playground Swings Banned in Spokane, Following National Trend

  6. #16
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,493
    Thanks
    2132

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Actually quite a few districts did ban swings at school as injury can result. Our school got rid of the "monkey bars" because kids fell. There are actually some parents who don't want their kids to have recess, they want them to read or learn something. Its a wonder there aren't more obese children.

    Playground Swings Banned in Spokane, Following National Trend
    Some schools have gone so far as to ban tag...
    Thanks from MeBelle

  7. #17
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63,677
    Thanks
    44169

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Actually quite a few districts did ban swings at school as injury can result. Our school got rid of the "monkey bars" because kids fell. There are actually some parents who don't want their kids to have recess, they want them to read or learn something. Its a wonder there aren't more obese children.

    Playground Swings Banned in Spokane, Following National Trend
    Well, I think banning swings altogether is silly. The compromise is the surface they sit on. I can understand monkey bars being banned. I think the parents who just want their kids to sit and read need to get over themselves. I think kids should have longer recesses that are sparsely supervised. There is evidence that children need more unsupervised time.

    "Since about 1955 ... children's free play has been continually declining, at least partly because adults have exerted ever-increasing control over children's activities," says the author Peter Gray, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology (emeritus) at Boston College. Gray defines "free play" as play a child undertakes him- or her-self and which is self-directed and an end in itself, rather than part of some organized activity.

    Gray describes this kind of unstructured, freely-chosen play as a testing ground for life. It provides critical life experiences without which young children cannot develop into confident and competent adults. Gray's article is meant to serve as a wake-up call regarding the effects of lost play, and he believes that lack of childhood free play time is a huge loss that must be addressed for the sake of our children and society.
    All Work and No Play: Why Your Kids Are More Anxious, Depressed - The Atlantic

    I'm actually all for "free range parenting".
    Thanks from bajisima, MeBelle and Friday13

  8. #18
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    31,274
    Thanks
    6606

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    No, we haven't banned swings, but we changed the surfaces they sit on. We've changed playgrounds considerably over the years and I have no doubt they have saved lives and spared thousands of kids serious injuries.

    I don't think football should be banned altogether but I think they can improve some rules of the game and the safety equipment.

    Now boxing, I never did get that and I don't see how any rules changes or safety equipment could improve that.
    The problem is that as we continue to turn our kids into pussies that are afraid to get hurt (or liberals), is that when they get to college football or the NFL they are suddenly going to discover it's a bit harder than they thought.

  9. #19
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63,677
    Thanks
    44169

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    The problem is that as we continue to turn our kids into pussies that are afraid to get hurt (or liberals), is that when they get to college football or the NFL they are suddenly going to discover it's a bit harder than they thought.
    See post #17.

  10. #20
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    40,210
    Thanks
    23706

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Well, I think banning swings altogether is silly. The compromise is the surface they sit on. I can understand monkey bars being banned. I think the parents who just want their kids to sit and read need to get over themselves. I think kids should have longer recesses that are sparsely supervised. There is evidence that children need more unsupervised time.



    All Work and No Play: Why Your Kids Are More Anxious, Depressed - The Atlantic

    I'm actually all for "free range parenting".
    When one of my girls was young, one of her friends had parents that never ever let their kid out of their sight. No play dates without them, and she couldn't even attend birthday parties without them. Total whacks. The child was so overstimulated because the parents just couldn't let her be alone with her thoughts and read. They would read to her. They constantly overscheduled her and she became a generally unhappy person because she could never ever be alone. She ended up being one of those co dependent people who would have periods of great depression and sadness if she had to be alone. Her parents did her no favors. I used to love the time being alone and able to read when I was young. Or just being creative and playing.
    Thanks from Babba and Friday13

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Elephant in the Room
    By Friday13 in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th March 2015, 11:00 AM
  2. The Elephant in the Room: skills becoming permanently obsolete
    By NonPartisanCapitalist in forum Economics
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 2nd October 2012, 07:44 PM
  3. The elephant in the room
    By Inkslinger in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 20th January 2012, 02:42 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed