Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 68 of 68
Thanks Tree38Thanks

Thread: Are Diet Drinks Making Us Fat?

  1. #61
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    31,283
    Thanks
    6612

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    YES. Diet coke causes an insulin spike. That alone will sabotage your diet, for those over forty. As well, later on, you will over-eat in order to feel better. It does not help you lose weight, lower your blood sugar and it will help to make you insulin resistant.
    Which is why I switched to Diet Pepsi which has no aspartame. But now I've giving that up, too.
    Thanks from Thx1138

  2. #62
    Mad Genius For Hire Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,860
    Thanks
    6526

    From
    ===hiding in th3 rafters===
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Which is why I switched to Diet Pepsi which has no aspartame. But now I've giving that up, too.
    Anything sweet with zero calories will give you an insulin spike. Avoid it, WATER ONLY!!!

  3. #63
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    41,541
    Thanks
    16237

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    It takes a little getting used to. And you do run to the bathroom a lot, at first. But before long, you're getting those 64 ounces down no problem. If I don't drink more water, I'll drink iced tea after that. Which probably isn't much better than soda. But I don't have that much room for it in my day with all the water.
    I think tea is much better. I went from soda to sugared tea to less sugared tea to no sugar tea. Now I am back to the stupid sodas but with summer here it's a must I step down again. Tea actually hydrates us!

  4. #64
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    41,596
    Thanks
    26342

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    What sometimes bothers me about these taxes is they are just on soda. Sports drinks and juices can actually have more sugar in them than sodas. For kids in particular, their parents start them off on sweetened juice and they get that "I want" for sugar as they get older and progress into soda and sports drinks. Its like an addiction and the soda tax just makes them head for the Gatorade or Red Bull.
    The Philly tax includes sweetened juice, Gatorade, and Red Bull.
    Thanks from bajisima

  5. #65
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    45,212
    Thanks
    13117

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Which is why I switched to Diet Pepsi which has no aspartame. But now I've giving that up, too.
    I believe aspartame is the worst of the artificial sweeteners. If the soda is allowed to heat up, free methanol is formed. Free methanol is a deadly poison and although you only get a small amount, if you drink a lot it's effects build over time. Your soda may have never been allowed to heat to this degree but I have regularly seen sodas in 12 packs piled up in the sun in front of grocery stores. Pepsi donated tons and tons of pepsi and diet pepsi to our soldiers in Iraq and they sat on tarmacs in Saudi Arabia before distribution. Some say cases of PTSD could actually be free methanol poisoning. I would not use it. I would not use Stevia simply because it's effects over time have not been studied enough.

  6. #66
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    31,283
    Thanks
    6612

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    I believe aspartame is the worst of the artificial sweeteners. If the soda is allowed to heat up, free methanol is formed. Free methanol is a deadly poison and although you only get a small amount, if you drink a lot it's effects build over time. Your soda may have never been allowed to heat to this degree but I have regularly seen sodas in 12 packs piled up in the sun in front of grocery stores. Pepsi donated tons and tons of pepsi and diet pepsi to our soldiers in Iraq and they sat on tarmacs in Saudi Arabia before distribution. Some say cases of PTSD could actually be free methanol poisoning. I would not use it. I would not use Stevia simply because it's effects over time have not been studied enough.
    Diet Pepsi comes in two varieties. There is Diet Pepsi that is aspartame free which is in a silver can. And there is Diet Pepsi that has aspartame in the light blue can. I switched from Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi (aspartame free). Now, I am just giving up soda entirely.


  7. #67
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    45,212
    Thanks
    13117

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Diet Pepsi comes in two varieties. There is Diet Pepsi that is aspartame free which is in a silver can. And there is Diet Pepsi that has aspartame in the light blue can. I switched from Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi (aspartame free). Now, I am just giving up soda entirely.

    Good for you. None of them are any good for you. I have a soda maybe once a week when the urge just happens to be there and when it is it's always Coke. Pepsi just seems to have a nasty aftertaste all by itself.

  8. #68
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    31,283
    Thanks
    6612

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Good for you. None of them are any good for you. I have a soda maybe once a week when the urge just happens to be there and when it is it's always Coke. Pepsi just seems to have a nasty aftertaste all by itself.
    Hold on, I hear you say that none of them are good for you. However, is that because you just don't think people should drink sodas or do you know the sweeteners used in each, particularly the aspartame free on to be bad?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Similar Threads

  1. Bill Gates drinks his own poop
    By meridian5455 in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 28th January 2015, 03:37 PM
  2. Energy drinks sent 20,000 to emergency rooms
    By bajisima in forum Healthcare
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th April 2013, 01:25 AM
  3. NYC plans to ban sales of sugary drinks over 16 ounces
    By sparty in forum Current Events
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 2nd June 2012, 09:35 AM
  4. Obama Drinks Thomas Friedman’s Kool-Aid
    By Horhey in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18th February 2010, 04:27 PM
  5. Taxes on Juice Drinks and Sodas
    By Morgan in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 30th October 2009, 04:34 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed