Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48
Thanks Tree34Thanks

Thread: Why Is Healthcare Insurance So High?

  1. #31
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    2745

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    Oh, me! Pick me! I want to be next to not read the OP but provide an answer!!
    No need to read an op ed to have your own opinion...

  2. #32
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    50,419
    Thanks
    38812

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    You do what are the insentives, Hmmm like making Healthcare insurance less expensive for those that live less risky lifestyles.

    sorry the PRIVATE INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE 2 DECADES AHEAD OF YOU.
    Incentive - something that incites or has a tendency to incite to determination or action

    Lots of incentives off the top of my head. To taxing soda (you don't need it to live) to things both the private and public sector could do to help people be more healthy.

  3. #33
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    50,419
    Thanks
    38812

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    YES and 5% of the Population are ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS that do not have insurance, and under OBAMACARE CAN NEVER HAVE INSURANCE.

    So the That is one of the ways Illegal immigrants cost Californians 26,000,000,000 / year.

    26,000,000,000 dollars and that is ONLY ONE STATE.
    And that is not true but keep living in that world your live in of fake news.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

  4. #34
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    31,774
    Thanks
    8139

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Incentive - something that incites or has a tendency to incite to determination or action

    Lots of incentives off the top of my head. To taxing soda (you don't need it to live) to things both the private and public sector could do to help people be more healthy.
    If I charge you less for healthcare coverage because you quit smoking THAT IS AN INCENTIVE.

  5. #35
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    50,419
    Thanks
    38812

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflesh View Post
    Wow $13? I thought $7 back in Texas was a lot. I remember back when they were less than $1.

    I tried vaping once and even stealing a hit from a cig as a cheat. Disgusting to inhale but cigs still smell good.
    Yep - last time I was in NYC about 3 years ago I was OMG

    CA just recently put a $2 tax on each pack - so a pack is now around $8-9, making a carton about 80+ plus (depending on the brand)

    I have better things to spend my money on now

    It was tough for sure but so glad I did it...

  6. #36
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    31,774
    Thanks
    8139

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Yep - last time I was in NYC about 3 years ago I was OMG

    CA just recently put a $2 tax on each pack - so a pack is now around $8-9, making a carton about 80+ plus (depending on the brand)

    I have better things to spend my money on now

    It was tough for sure but so glad I did it...
    Rasing the price isn't an disincentive it is inflation. People expect prices to increase..

  7. #37
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    50,419
    Thanks
    38812

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Rasing the price isn't an disincentive it is inflation. People expect prices to increase..
    Sigh...

    The downward trend is smoking is due in large part to the price increases along with the awareness of how bad it is for you.

    Not too many people can afford or want to pay, on average 10 bucks a day for one pack.

    CA prices went up because of a Prop on the ballot btw.

    Maybe people don't understand how dangerous it is to be obese? They need to know that.

    A healthier population is good for everyone.

  8. #38
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    31,774
    Thanks
    8139

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Sigh...

    The downward trend is smoking is due in large part to the price increases along with the awareness of how bad it is for you.

    Not too many people can afford or want to pay, on average 10 bucks a day for one pack.

    CA prices went up because of a Prop on the ballot btw.

    Maybe people don't understand how dangerous it is to be obese? They need to know that.

    A healthier population is good for everyone.
    Not really you see Michael Brown and Gardner are dead because of these taxes, Brown was being approached by Officer Wilson beause he stole cigaretts, Gardner was killed while police were enforcing NY Tax laws (He was selling Loosies)
    Thanks from Sassy

  9. #39
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44,588
    Thanks
    17584

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Not really you see Michael Brown and Gardner are dead because of these taxes, Brown was being approached by Officer Wilson beause he stole cigaretts, Gardner was killed while police were enforcing NY Tax laws (He was selling Loosies)
    Yes loosies are very cheap. One can easily roll their own and avoid these taxes. Well, I cannot role one, it would seem. But other people seem to be able to get the hang of it.

  10. #40
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    43,840
    Thanks
    26201

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    I found this to be pretty informative as well

    https://www.zanebenefits.com/blog/8-...ntinue-to-rise

    Number 3 stands out for me.

    Did you know nearly half the U.S. population has one or more chronic conditions such as asthma, heart disease, or diabetes? Chronic illnesses combined with an aging population drives up costs. Additionally, two-thirds of adults are either overweight or obese, which also leads to chronic illness and inflated medical spending

    We could be doing a lot more in that area to encourage healthier life styles for people.

    I know a lot of former smokers who quit because of the taxes. Smoking rates are the lowest in this country than they have ever been (and that is a good thing not only for smokers, but from a health cost perspective as well. ).

    Oh and stop ordering so many damn tests - most of which are repetitive.
    The tests are becoming insane. Some doctors are now recommending full MRIs and CAT scans when one turns 50! Have seen where many think its almost a sort of scam, since they really only tend to recommend it for those with great insurance. Then on top of that mammograms, colonoscopies etc. Its like "you are 50 now its time to spend all your time at the doctors office." Which is nuts because most people are in the height of their careers at that age and don't have the time to take off for all the tests. Interestingly Canada for example, doesn't test like we do. They don't even recommend colonoscopies as a first line at age 50, they do those blood/stool tests which are far less expensive and less intrusive than the US does. There has to be a better way since so many tests are not just repetitive but have false positives which lead to more testing.

    https://www.healthnewsreview.org/201...-denied-entry/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Healthcare Insurance Premiums Soar
    By HenryPorter in forum Current Events
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 30th September 2011, 02:18 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th May 2011, 02:40 AM
  3. Reform healthcare now, take on insurance co's later
    By uncommonman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th October 2009, 11:06 AM
  4. How to Fix Healthcare Insurance
    By Fritz in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 7th January 2008, 07:45 PM
  5. Healthcare Insurance Reform
    By Fritz in forum Healthcare
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 3rd December 2007, 04:24 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed