Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Thanks Tree13Thanks

Thread: Interested In Universal Design?

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,089
    Thanks
    32161

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio

    Interested In Universal Design?

    The term "universal design" means design for humans of any physical ability and any stage of life.

    I am going to remodel my bathroom this spring, due to a plumbing issue. As the project proceeds, I will make changes such that if I have to use a wheelchair down the road, I will still be able to use that bathroom and stay in my home.

    I wondered if you guys are interested in this topic? The idea is to find luxury, beautiful products that enhance the home's value and also offer safety to disabled homeowners.

    So far, I have decided to replace the toilet with a wall-hung unit, replace the sink with one a wheelchair fits underneath, and use a seamless floor treatment, such as terrazo or epoxy.

    I will tear out the bathtub and install a shower, using sloping, etc. to contain the water without a curb.

    I expect all of you want to maximize your home's value. Something as simple as widening doorways can make a huge difference.

    Thanks in advance, if you choose to reply.
    Last edited by Madeline; 11th March 2018 at 08:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    21,023
    Thanks
    11043

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    The term "universal design" means design for humans of any physical ability and any stage of life.

    I am going to remodel my bathroom this spring, due to a plumbing issue. As the project proceeds, I will make changes such that if I have to use a wheelchair down the road, I will still be able to use that bathroom and stay in my home.

    I wondered if you guys are interested in this topic? The idea is to find luxury, beautiful products that enhance the home's value and also offer safety to disabled homeowners.

    So far, I have decided to replace the toilet with a wall-hung unit, replace the sink with one a wheelchair fits underneath, and use a seamless floor treatment, such as terrazo or epoxy.

    I will tear out the bathtub and install a shower, using sloping, etc. to contain the water without a curb.

    I expect all of you want to maximize your home's value. Something as simple as widening doorways can make a huge difference.

    Thanks in advance, if you choose to reply.
    I remember when buyers were offered tax incentives if they built a house they could grow old in. You should think about one of those walk in tubs you see on TV. Some of them have jacuzzi jets which would be wonderful for you.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/American...FQp8Ygodv7ILoQ
    Thanks from Madeline, Ian Jeffrey and labrea

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,089
    Thanks
    32161

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    I remember when buyers were offered tax incentives if they built a house they could grow old in. You should think about one of those walk in tubs you see on TV. Some of them have jacuzzi jets which would be wonderful for you.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/American...FQp8Ygodv7ILoQ
    I hate plastic, and I am not a tea bag to be steeped. Lol.

    I like showers, and to date I have not fallen getting into the tub, but I will if nothing changes. My balance, etc. is horrendous.

    One broken hip, and I will never sleep another night in my own house again.

    Part of the problem for me is, none of safety equipment I use now is actually secured to the wall. The shower chair just sits on rubber feet, and the grab bar is suctioned to the plastic bathtub surround.

    I am tearing it all out and replacing it with stone, artifical. The new shower will have a bench built in, etc.

    I have to get organized, though. I only have one bath, and do not fancy living in a hotel for months on end.
    Last edited by Madeline; 12th March 2018 at 04:45 AM.

  4. #4
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    35,324
    Thanks
    30018

    From
    SWUSA


    This is very close to what my parents had done to in their home. They did have to lower the concrete at the stall and did leave a small curb. I was not involved in the remod, but I would have kept most of the original b.r. and just added.

    The bathroom was full tile, even the ceiling. I would have kept that and lowered the level at stall and relaid a new full floor.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Madeline

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,089
    Thanks
    32161

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post


    This is very close to what my parents had done to in their home. They did have to lower the concrete at the stall and did leave a small curb. I was not involved in the remod, but I would have kept most of the original b.r. and just added.

    The bathroom was full tile, even the ceiling. I would have kept that and lowered the level at stall and relaid a new full floor.
    Yeah, that curb is a problem. Otherwise, I love it.

    Why did they tile the ceiling?

  6. #6
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    35,324
    Thanks
    30018

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Yeah, that curb is a problem. Otherwise, I love it.

    Why did they tile the ceiling?
    they didn't. the bathroom was that way. I would have kept the original and just took the tub out and replaced the floor.

    Thanks from Madeline and Ian Jeffrey

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,089
    Thanks
    32161

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I want a sauna! And a rainfall showerhead, and handhelds, and......Watch this space, because I know how to access grant money.

    My ultimate goal is to install an elevator.

    I am so fucking greedy! I want LUXURY as well as safety.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  8. #8
    Veteran Member EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,924
    Thanks
    9849

    From
    Indiana
    Thanks from Madeline and Blueneck

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,089
    Thanks
    32161

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    HEATED towel and hand bars, Daddio. And hell yeah, some lovely Scotch to sip in the steam shower.

    Safety through luxury! Lol.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,089
    Thanks
    32161

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    A great exhaust fan, with light. Cuts on every time the bath is used, runs for 20 minutes thereafter. Nearly silent. Very pretty design.

    Exhausted outdoors, not just into the attic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Appearance of design mean a design exists?
    By Oscar99 in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd March 2013, 07:13 PM
  2. Universal Food, Universal Clothing, and Universal ISP
    By lakeman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 18th September 2007, 10:06 AM
  3. Universal Healthcare, Universal , Universal Food
    By lakeman in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th September 2007, 06:55 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed