Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76
Thanks Tree136Thanks

Thread: One drink a day could be deadly?

  1. #1
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,152
    Thanks
    29149

    From
    New Hampshire

    One drink a day could be deadly?

    People who follow government guidelines to have a drink or so a day could be drinking themselves into an early grave, researchers said Thursday.

    Any more than five drinks a week on average can take years off a personís life, the new study of more than half a million people around the world shows.

    Thatís less than what's recommended in many countries. For instance, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Association both say men can safely drink up to two alcoholic drinks a day and women up to a drink a day. An international team of researchers looked at data from 600,000 people in 19 countries, who were asked about drinking habits dating back as long ago as 1964. They were followed for years afterward.

    People who reported drinking more had higher rates of stroke, heart disease, deadly high blood pressure and fatal aortic aneurysms, the team reported in the Lancet medical journal. The most people can get away with and not raise their risk of early death was about five glasses of wine a week or the equivalent, the researchers found. Drinking raises the risk of both cancer and heart disease, and one study suggested that drinking accounts for 15 percent of breast cancer cases.

    They found that the more people drank, the higher their risk of death compared with people who drank less.

    If a 40-year-old man dropped his intake from two drinks a day to around five drinks a week, he could expect to add an average of a year or two to his life, the researchers projected.


    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n865471
    Thanks from The Man and BigBob

  2. #2
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,543
    Thanks
    34168

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    My maternal grandfather was prescribed two drinks per day (he drank mixed drinks, but I do not remember what) back in the 70s or 80s, and he lived to be almost 91. Contrast my grandmother, who either never drank or only had a glass of wine once in a while, who lived to be 84-1/2. And her mother lived to be 94, without drinking. My paternal grandfather had that glass of wine once in a great while, and almost made 75.

    (My father died at 63, and his mother at 54, but those were from cancer, not drinking, though my father had had 21-1/2 years sober - which family record I beat.)

    Anyway, you never can tell.
    Thanks from bajisima, Babba, BitterPill and 5 others

  3. #3
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,152
    Thanks
    29149

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    My maternal grandfather was prescribed two drinks per day (he drank mixed drinks, but I do not remember what) back in the 70s or 80s, and he lived to be almost 91. Contrast my grandmother, who either never drank or only had a glass of wine once in a while, who lived to be 84-1/2. And her mother lived to be 94, without drinking. My paternal grandfather had that glass of wine once in a great while, and almost made 75.

    (My father died at 63, and his mother at 54, but those were from cancer, not drinking, though my father had had 21-1/2 years sober - which family record I beat.)

    Anyway, you never can tell.
    Yea many old timers who live a long time seem to all have imbibed. I recall the media asking a woman who lived to over 100 what her secret was and she said "a shot of vodka every day." lol You never really know.

  4. #4
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    27,602
    Thanks
    18235

    From
    Missouri
    I've stopped paying attention to studies like this. Everything (or most things) in moderation.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,152
    Thanks
    29149

    From
    New Hampshire
    Betty White says her secret to living long and happy are "optimism, vodka and hot dogs."

    https://www.today.com/health/betty-w...-vodka-t120857
    Thanks from Wonderer, Babba, The Man and 2 others

  6. #6
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,152
    Thanks
    29149

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
    I've stopped paying attention to studies like this. Everything (or most things) in moderation.
    Me too, I often feel they could be sponsored by some group with a vested interest. Moderation is key.
    Thanks from Wonderer and DanTexas

  7. #7
    Senior Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,803
    Thanks
    7865

    From
    NY
    The same can be said about (red) meat, sugary drinks and food, and whatever else comes to mind, that provides - to some - the joy and fun of living.

    To me, I do not see any reason to turn 100 years if age, if the only way to get there is by cutting out all the things that make life worth living.. and good food and wine, to me is a part of that.

    So I rather enjoy today, and live life by enjoying the grape juice some geniuses invented, along with all this delicious meat some artistic chefs can cook up and put together... hoping that i have a hidden French side in me, which indicates that drinking daily is actually good for you

  8. #8
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,543
    Thanks
    34168

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Everything in moderation ... does that include moderation?
    Thanks from bajisima and Wonderer

  9. #9
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,543
    Thanks
    34168

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVsMatrix View Post
    The same can be said about (red) meat, sugary drinks and food, and whatever else comes to mind, that provides - to some - the joy and fun of living.

    To me, I do not see any reason to turn 100 years if age, if the only way to get there is by cutting out all the things that make life worth living.. and good food and wine, to me is a part of that.
    Giving up those things does not make you live longer. It just makes it seem longer.

  10. #10
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,859
    Thanks
    11506

    From
    Work
    I'm not going to be too reckless, but the thought of living a nearly masochistic life of restriction and discipline just to live a few years longer seems kind of like an oxymoron. I get the feeling that if some people were told they could live an extra 20 years if they never left the house, they'd try it. Then when they finally lay there dying at 110 years old, they'd wonder what the point was.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Eat, smoke and drink as you please?
    By Robert Urbanek in forum Healthcare
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 6th December 2012, 01:04 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed