Members banned from this thread: Rev. Hellh0und and Idiocracat


Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 434
Thanks Tree292Thanks

Thread: Major depression on the rise

  1. #21
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,036
    Thanks
    4374

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sampson Simpson View Post
    Because this country and the world sucks, people working longer hours for less and less money , live paycheck to paycheck and barely get by, have no savings, can't afford any vacations



    or because a predatory pharmaceutical industry hawks happy pills nonstop on the tv.

  2. #22
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22,001
    Thanks
    12251

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    or because a predatory pharmaceutical industry hawks happy pills nonstop on the tv.
    Oh sure, people are depressed because they can get a drug for it. Brilliant

  3. #23
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,036
    Thanks
    4374

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sampson Simpson View Post
    Oh sure, people are depressed because they can get a drug for it. Brilliant


    a real dr would understand my point is that people aren't depressed, they are being convinced they are to sell them shitty happy pills.

  4. #24
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,648
    Thanks
    11185

    From
    Work
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    Unemployment remains at a 48 year low and the GDP was 3.7% last quarter.

    I think the only folks that are depressed are the ones watching/reading fake news MSM outlets like NBC.
    Wow you really do work that mantra into every single conversation you participate in, like a seal trained to play a horn.



    "Circus dogs jump when the trainer cracks his whip,
    but the really well-trained dog is the one that
    turns his somersault when there is no whip."

    George Orwell
    Thanks from BigLeRoy, labrea and BitterPill

  5. #25
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    22,969
    Thanks
    11939

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    Unemployment remains at a 48 year low and the GDP was 3.7% last quarter.

    I think the only folks that are depressed are the ones watching/reading fake news MSM outlets like NBC.
    Not really. Depression is not new and can happen under many circumstances. Most people do not live and breathe politics. I never give it a thought unless I am posting/reading on PH. I think a lot of it is due to the aging boomers which is a large population. Elderly depression is not diagnosed enough and people seem to "expect" elderly people could not be possibly happy. Middle age and older people experience a lot of loss and heartache. The loss of your parents, perhaps a spouse, friends, pets, empty nest syndrome etc. Depression can result from pain, as we all know, after 50 something new hurts everyday.

  6. #26
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,551
    Thanks
    11790

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Major depression on the rise among everyone, new data shows
    Biggest increase in diagnoses seen in teens


    Major depression is on the rise among Americans from all age groups, but is rising fastest among teens and young adults, new health insurance data shows.

    Depression rates also vary a lot state by state, with Rhode Island having the highest rate of depression at 6.4 percent. Hawaii has the lowest rate — 2.1 percent.

    The findings cover people with commercial health insurance — Blue Cross and Blue Shield — so they’re not fully representative. But most people in the U.S. are covered by a commercial health plan.



    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_disorder

    Any idea why depression is on the rise?
    In youth and teens it's easy to see why. They are looking to their parents and elder generations and realize they too get to go through that one day. What could be more depressing than realizing your going to have to work all of your life and maybe, if you're lucky, you might make it to retirement. They see statistics and realize how high their chances of getting cancer or some other life-threatening illness. Its a crude world to navigate, only made more crude by the people - leading by example.

    Like many parents who lament about the generation who comes after them - all generations wonder why their parents and ancestor generations did things the way they did if things were going to turn out like this. It doesn't make sense to them and never will.

    In my unprofessional opinion, people who are depressed are more in tune with reality than those who float through life without a care. I believe there is a reason to be depressed even if you aren't (me).
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  7. #27
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,036
    Thanks
    4374

    From
    NYC
    https://psychcentral.com/news/2013/0...-us/54343.html



    "nvestigators found that when these individuals were assessed for major depressive episodes using a structured interview, only 38.4 percent of adults with clinician-identified depression met the 12-month criteria for depression — despite the fact that a majority of participants were prescribed and were using psychiatric medications.

    The results are featured in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.

    “Depression overdiagnosis and overtreatment is common in the U.S., and frankly the numbers are staggering,” said Ramin J. Mojtabai, Ph.D., author of the study and an associate professor with the Bloomberg School’s Department of Mental Health.

    “Among study participants who were 65 years old or older with clinician-identified depression, 6 out of every 7 did not meet the 12-month major-depressive-episodes criteria. While participants who did not meet the criteria used significantly fewer services and treatment contacts, the majority of both groups used prescription psychiatric medication.”"
    Thanks from Kallie Knoetze

  8. #28
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,551
    Thanks
    11790

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    or because a predatory pharmaceutical industry hawks happy pills nonstop on the tv.
    That's marketing to the issue. Which is marketing 101 and traditional supply/demand economics.

    It's the same reason we have an opiod epidemic, or crack epidemic, or heroin epidemic - those "epidemics" coincidentally occur when supply for those drugs is high.

  9. #29
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    95,603
    Thanks
    73404

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Any idea why depression is on the rise?
    I'm too down in the dumps to think about it right now. Maybe tomorrow.

  10. #30
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,257
    Thanks
    3260

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    https://psychcentral.com/news/2013/0...-us/54343.html



    "nvestigators found that when these individuals were assessed for major depressive episodes using a structured interview, only 38.4 percent of adults with clinician-identified depression met the 12-month criteria for depression — despite the fact that a majority of participants were prescribed and were using psychiatric medications.

    The results are featured in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.

    “Depression overdiagnosis and overtreatment is common in the U.S., and frankly the numbers are staggering,” said Ramin J. Mojtabai, Ph.D., author of the study and an associate professor with the Bloomberg School’s Department of Mental Health.

    “Among study participants who were 65 years old or older with clinician-identified depression, 6 out of every 7 did not meet the 12-month major-depressive-episodes criteria. While participants who did not meet the criteria used significantly fewer services and treatment contacts, the majority of both groups used prescription psychiatric medication.”"
    Rev. Hellhound,

    Agreed. We have become such a wimp of a society, rather than telling people to buck up and get over it, we tell them "oh, it's o.k. to be a snowflake and cringe over the slightest slight."
    Thanks from orangecat

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 19th July 2017, 06:36 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 28th April 2017, 03:54 PM
  3. Rise, sisters, rise. Defeat Donald Trump
    By cable2 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th November 2016, 04:26 PM
  4. Are we going into a depression?
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 25th September 2008, 03:55 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed