Members banned from this thread: Rev. Hellh0und and Idiocracat


Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 434
Thanks Tree292Thanks

Thread: Major depression on the rise

  1. #301
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,787
    Thanks
    27949

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    That was a lot of typing just to sound silly...
    Are you aware that America is the most scientifically illiterate of ALL the industrialized countries in the world, with the solitary exception of Islamic Turkey?

    And that does not concern you? Not even a BIT?

    Well, alrighty, then.

    Sheesh.

  2. #302
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    21,968
    Thanks
    11547

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    What are your thoughts, then, for why suicide tends to be higher in the South than in the US as a whole, and higher in rural areas than in urban ones? From my outside perspective, the small-town South looks spiritually empty and socially stunted, but perhaps it feels different from inside such a community. But then the question remains what's going wrong there.
    I guess you would have to look at the reasons why a person commits suicide...if they leave a note. I was born in a rural small town and I spend a great deal of time in a rural town with my Dad and family. Poverty could have something to do with it...loss of jobs, losing everything you own, family problems, etc. Suicide cannot be neatly tucked in a statistical box for it is often unknown why people do it. Suicide happens all over the world and it also happens in Northern States as well. I don't see the South as "spiritually barren" or the people socially backward, but simple people who look forward to a HS Friday night football game. That may not be exciting to some, but to others it is a good time.

    https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/sui...hest-rates/22/

  3. #303
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,350
    Thanks
    1834

    From
    Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    I guess you would have to look at the reasons why a person commits suicide...if they leave a note. I was born in a rural small town and I spend a great deal of time in a rural town with my Dad and family. Poverty could have something to do with it...loss of jobs, losing everything you own, family problems, etc. Suicide cannot be neatly tucked in a statistical box for it is often unknown why people do it. Suicide happens all over the world and it also happens in Northern States as well. I don't see the South as "spiritually barren" or the people socially backward, but simple people who look forward to a HS Friday night football game. That may not be exciting to some, but to others it is a good time.

    https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/sui...hest-rates/22/
    I realize that when you look at things up close, the reasons for suicide are going to seem unique and very personal to each individual. But the states with the biggest suicide problem have people killing themselves at rates well over three times as high as those of the best states. When you have such very large differences across populations of hundreds of thousands or millions of people, I think it would be a mistake just to think of it as if it were a random conjunction of individual circumstances. There's something systematic going on. It's just a question of what it is.

    You mention jobs, but it doesn't seem to line up with that factor. For example, Utah has one of the highest suicide rates, and yet an unemployment rate of just 3.1%. Wyoming and Montana also are near the top of the suicide list, with unemployment rates considerably lower than those of New Jersey and New York, where suicide is rare.

    Using non-age-adjusted rates, the states with the lowest suicide rates are NJ, NY, MA, MD, CT, CA, IL, RI, DE, and HI. It's hard to look at that list and not be struck by the socio-political similarities of that top ten. For example, consider where those states rank, in terms of Clinton's performance in 2016: 8th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 9th, 2nd, 10th, 11th, and 1st. Those low-suicide states aren't just blue states. Judging by the last election, they're almost exactly a list of the most liberal states in America (Vermont excluded).

    That's all the stranger when you recall that the ordinary rule is for places at higher latitudes to have higher suicide rates (e.g., Sweden higher than Italy, Ukraine higher than Greece, Canada higher than Mexico). Other things being equal, we'd expect the American south and southwest to have low suicide rates, while places like New England suffer from more severe problems. But instead it's the other way around.

    So, why is it that those who live in liberal states are so much less likely to be suicidally depressed? I don't know the answer to that question, but it seems like it's a good one to look into, don't you think?
    Last edited by Arkady; 16th May 2018 at 11:17 AM.

  4. #304
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39,739
    Thanks
    4313

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    You really don't understand how scientifically illiterate some Americans actually ARE, do you? There ARE Americans who think that the Earth is flat. There ARE Americans who think the Earth is hollow, and we are living on the inside. There ARE Americans who think there is no bottom to the ocean. There ARE Americans who think the stars are lanterns in the sky. There ARE Americans who were shooting at the hurricanes last year to try to get them to change direction. There ARE Americans who think that the Moon is the Sun at night. I could go on.

    And I had no idea if you were one of those Americans. Shrug.


    What percentage of "americans" think the world is flat or hollow? etc. its a problem when people say "americans be like" then have some issue that a statistically insignificant number of Americans "be like".


    There are americans who are leftists and pedophiles, is it a notable number? Probably not.



    I have no idea if you are one of those democrats. See how shitty of a debate tactic you are engaging in here?

  5. #305
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39,739
    Thanks
    4313

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    That was a lot of typing just to sound silly...



    No shit. I wasted far more time replying to that than you did. smart. lol

  6. #306
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39,739
    Thanks
    4313

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Are you aware that America is the most scientifically illiterate of ALL the industrialized countries in the world, with the solitary exception of Islamic Turkey?

    And that does not concern you? Not even a BIT?

    Well, alrighty, then.

    Sheesh.



    Link to a peer reviewed study showing this.


    Thanks

  7. #307
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    42,759
    Thanks
    37811

    From
    Sometimes I get cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Are you aware that America is the most scientifically illiterate of ALL the industrialized countries in the world, with the solitary exception of Islamic Turkey?

    And that does not concern you? Not even a BIT?

    Well, alrighty, then.

    Sheesh.
    It's part of the dumbing down of America, *which I know you know.* Much easier to lead the peasants when they are willfully ignorant.

    That's why education is so important to the left, and not-so-much to the right. To wit: Betsy Devos.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy, Ian Jeffrey and namvet69

  8. #308
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    21,968
    Thanks
    11547

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    I realize that when you look at things up close, the reasons for suicide are going to seem unique and very personal to each individual. But the states with the biggest suicide problem have people killing themselves at rates well over three times as high as those of the best states. When you have such very large differences across populations of hundreds of thousands or millions of people, I think it would be a mistake just to think of it as if it were a random conjunction of individual circumstances. There's something systematic going on. It's just a question of what it is.

    You mention jobs, but it doesn't seem to line up with that factor. For example, Utah has one of the highest suicide rates, and yet an unemployment rate of just 3.1%. Wyoming and Montana also are near the top of the suicide list, with unemployment rates considerably lower than those of New Jersey and New York, where suicide is rare.

    Using non-age-adjusted rates, the states with the lowest suicide rates are NJ, NY, MA, MD, CT, CA, IL, RI, DE, and HI. It's hard to look at that list and not be struck by the socio-political similarities of that top ten. For example, consider where those states rank, in terms of Clinton's performance in 2016: 8th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 9th, 2nd, 10th, 11th, and 1st. Those low-suicide states aren't just blue states. Judging by the last election, they're almost exactly a list of the most liberal states in America (Vermont excluded).

    That's all the stranger when you recall that the ordinary rule is for places at higher latitudes to have higher suicide rates (e.g., Sweden higher than Italy, Ukraine higher than Greece, Canada higher than Mexico). Other things being equal, we'd expect the American south and southwest to have low suicide rates, while places like New England suffer from more severe problems. But instead it's the other way around.

    So, why is it that those who live in liberal states are so much less likely to be suicidally depressed? I don't know the answer to that question, but it seems like it's a good one to look into, don't you think?
    I looked a little deeper on this subject and one article stated that access to mental health services could be the problem as well. Another article spoke of methods of suicide meaning that the rural areas contain more guns and if guns were taken out of the equation, the rates would be similar as far as urban and rural.

    Suicide is morbid and we are seeing more of your youth succumb to it. It is worth looking into.

    https://hub.jhu.edu/2017/08/17/high-...l-communities/
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/suicide...l-communities/

  9. #309
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,787
    Thanks
    27949

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    What percentage of "americans" think the world is flat or hollow? etc. its a problem when people say "americans be like" then have some issue that a statistically insignificant number of Americans "be like".


    There are americans who are leftists and pedophiles, is it a notable number? Probably not.



    I have no idea if you are one of those democrats. See how shitty of a debate tactic you are engaging in here?
    I'm not sure what the percentage is of Americans who believe the Earth is flat, but I HAVE seen studies showing that one of every five adult Americans.....20%.....believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth......

  10. #310
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,787
    Thanks
    27949

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    Link to a peer reviewed study showing this.


    Thanks
    Well, here's a link, anyway:

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...eed-a-pr-team/

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 19th July 2017, 06:36 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 28th April 2017, 03:54 PM
  3. Rise, sisters, rise. Defeat Donald Trump
    By cable2 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th November 2016, 04:26 PM
  4. Are we going into a depression?
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 25th September 2008, 03:55 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed