Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 94
Thanks Tree123Thanks

Thread: US Fertility Rates Have Plummeted Into Uncharted Territory, And Nobody Knows Why

  1. #21
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,461
    Thanks
    10864

    From
    Work
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    Because the immigrants and Muslims will be breeding like rabbits.
    Even if that weren't a shitty thing to say about people, in the US Muslims make up less than 1% of the total population. Granted you're from the UK where it's an OVERWHELMING 4.4% of the population, so I can understand your xenophobic fit.

    Rest assured we still have many centuries of blue eyed people ahead of us, provided we don't incinerate the planet first.
    Thanks from The Man and labrea

  2. #22
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    37,794
    Thanks
    22620

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Even if that weren't a shitty thing to say about people, in the US Muslims make up less than 1% of the total population. Granted you're from the UK where it's an OVERWHELMING 4.4% of the population, so I can understand your xenophobic fit.

    Rest assured we still have many centuries of blue eyed people ahead of us, provided we don't incinerate the planet first.
    Funny thing is, he probably thinks it was fine for his fellow Brits to come to places like North America or Australia and "breed like rabbits" there and slaughter the natives and confine them to reservations lol
    Thanks from StanStill, BigLeRoy, labrea and 4 others

  3. #23
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,461
    Thanks
    10864

    From
    Work
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Funny thing is, he probably thinks it was fine for his fellow Brits to come to places like North America or Australia and "breed like rabbits" there and slaughter the natives and confine them to reservations lol
    That's different. We're not immigrants—we're Europeans!
    Thanks from The Man, BigLeRoy, labrea and 1 others

  4. #24
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,836
    Thanks
    28001

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    That's different. We're not immigrants—we're Europeans!
    Yes. Europeans have a God-given right to colonize any part of the world we wish to colonize.

    I think it says that somewhere in the Bible. And if not, it OUGHT to!

  5. #25
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,367
    Thanks
    27453

    From
    New Hampshire
    Scientific American did a piece about plummeting birth rates about 4 years ago.

    "As a nation’s population ages, more and more older people may draw from support systems such as Social Security, yet fewer workers may be around to pay into those systems. The problem is more dire than we think...The “potential support ratio”—the number of people aged 20-64 divided by the number of people aged 65 or over— in many countries will plummet. In the U.S. the ratio today is 4.6, and it is projected to decline to 1.9 by 2100—fewer than half as many workers to support a retiree as there are now. These results suggest some important policy implications."

    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...et-worldwide1/
    Thanks from BigLeRoy, HayJenn, The Man and 1 others

  6. #26
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    52,517
    Thanks
    40388

    From
    CA
    From the link

    Women under 40 in the US are having fewer babies than they used to, but it's not a trend in total isolation from other societal shifts.

    At the same time, researchers say, these women are postponing marriage, achieving higher levels of education, and entering the workforce in greater numbers.


    There are also temporal economic factors to consider, such as the extent to which the shadows of the Great Recession still factor on people's lives which may make them consider delaying starting a family (or postpone adding to one).


    I can only speak to my daughter and her group of friends all around her age - 27.

    Out of 20 people she is close with, only 1 has a child.

    Heck some of her older friends (in their 40's) don't have kids.

    She wants to get married and have kids - but right now most of her friends are more concerned with moving up in their jobs, saving money and just have not found the right person.

    I would be curious to see if people are getting married later (I suspect that is the case) and therefore that impacts fertility rates?
    Thanks from bajisima, The Man, Wonderer and 1 others

  7. #27
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,367
    Thanks
    27453

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    From the link

    Women under 40 in the US are having fewer babies than they used to, but it's not a trend in total isolation from other societal shifts.

    At the same time, researchers say, these women are postponing marriage, achieving higher levels of education, and entering the workforce in greater numbers.


    There are also temporal economic factors to consider, such as the extent to which the shadows of the Great Recession still factor on people's lives – which may make them consider delaying starting a family (or postpone adding to one).


    I can only speak to my daughter and her group of friends all around her age - 27.

    Out of 20 people she is close with, only 1 has a child.

    Heck some of her older friends (in their 40's) don't have kids.

    She wants to get married and have kids - but right now most of her friends are more concerned with moving up in their jobs, saving money and just have not found the right person.

    I would be curious to see if people are getting married later (I suspect that is the case) and therefore that impacts fertility rates?
    I suspect they are getting married later. I was married at 20 and my kids just stare at me. I look at my son and he looked like a child still at 20. lol But my eldest is nearing 30 and all her friends are now getting married and having kids. So I do think they are putting it off for a bit but most (at least her friends) dont want to be too old either.
    Thanks from The Man

  8. #28
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    52,517
    Thanks
    40388

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I suspect they are getting married later. I was married at 20 and my kids just stare at me. I look at my son and he looked like a child still at 20. lol But my eldest is nearing 30 and all her friends are now getting married and having kids. So I do think they are putting it off for a bit but most (at least her friends) dont want to be too old either.
    Same pattern with my daughter's friends. Only 2 are married and her BF just go engaged (she's 28 and her boyfriend is 30), They won't be getting married until next year, after he completes his Master's Degree. I got married fairly late. I was 29.

    And if you live in a big metro area - seems like most people in their mid 20- to early 30's are busy focusing on jobs and saving money.
    Thanks from The Man

  9. #29
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    20,447
    Thanks
    3181

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I'm... fairly smart... I think. And my wife is MUCH smarter than I am. We have two, thus far. Is that ok?
    Luckily, I'm not a judge of that... slight difference discussing a base concept and saying "No, you've had enough children"... if prefer let people decide for themselves.

    A problem with smart people is they are better at rationally thinking through, and because the costs of children are not small, they are more apt to hold off.
    Thanks from The Man

  10. #30
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    20,447
    Thanks
    3181

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I believe a movie was made about that.
    Idiocracy was on my mind?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th March 2018, 02:12 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th July 2013, 05:52 AM
  3. Seven Castaways Rescued From Uncharted Desert Island
    By Freedom for All in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd September 2006, 12:17 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed